9 games gone and still no goal from connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
step said:
Redditch Fox, you need to look at the root cause, why did the whole squad leave city last year? why do few of our players perform as well as they should? last season and this season. Why are we struggling to put together a win against a pathetic team like Burnley? Dont look to blame the variables look at the constant, Look what is the one thing that had the same effect on the squad last season. It is not the players most of them were not here last season.

Save or club

I understand all that. When Micky took over from DB there was an immediate improvement - in retrospect I think we can put that down to release of tension following relegation and MA's energy. However, as time has gone on it increasingly looks like we have a 'one trick pony' in terms of playing tactics and someone who can't get the best out of a range of players. We didn't want to admit this because it would be great to believe that a likeable, down to earth guy was going to produce the results that we all want to see.

I don't think that Micky is going to bring immediate results or long term success and sadly I'm not sure that anyone else is going to get immediate results. But I suspect that the best thing to do would be to try to find someone who can start the process.

Ive had many opinions of MA this season, but I have to say that wasn't a bad performance yesterday fans and players alike. They put 11 men behind the ball at all thimes and went for the counter!

If we change out Manger now we could end up like west ham have!!

Chandler, I agree with you about connely he is not sir les or a paul dickov and never will be. But the team must play to its stengths and lobbing the ball in the air to connely is not one of them. If we are to get goals from connely (or any other player) the service must be of the kind that he can exploit. ie low through balls for connely to turn and chase.
Would you expect les to score, if he had to sprint about the pitch to get to the ball. equally how can you expect connely to score from high balls.
As I said, Connely can perform better than he has but only if he is allowed to play to his strengths and that is a problem our manager has to see and sort out. but he will not.
If the best ma can contribute is Blake upfront with Dublin then we are in serious trouble and the faster MA leaves the less chance we have of becoming like west ham

Save or club

Im sure that when Connolly scores one goal, he will be firing them in.

But him and Dublin are hardly playing very well are they?

We really need to get a striker in on loan for a month or two. Preferably a striker who can score goals.

Ormerod?
Johansson?
Sinama Pongolle?
Christie?
Ameobi?

These are all not getting regular first team football.

Fox Fan said:
Ive had many opinions of MA this season, but I have to say that wasn't a bad performance yesterday fans and players alike. They put 11 men behind the ball at all thimes and went for the counter!

If we change out Manger now we could end up like west ham have!!

Is that the same West Ham that has 17 points to our 12 and is 5th to our 13th? or is there another West Ham in this division that I have failed to notice so far?

Of course, every side is coming to the Walkers with a game plan and it usually works -five starts and one win to-date! They all recognise that we haven't got any variation of tactics other than to aim at Scowcroft's head or to lob the ball up the middle in the hope that the current strikers will emulate last year's vanished crop.

Come on Barnt Green, Leicester City is worthy of a bit more than what's (not) happening.

The most worrying comment came from MA in yesterdays Sun when he stated that he wouldnt drop Connelly, dont get me wrong i think its good to show loyalty but players also need to feel a little pressure and nobody should be above being dropped.

Wonder whether MA is scarred to drop him as he is his most expensive signing and also comes with a reputation of being slightly difficult. I would give him and Dublin 2 more games and if there is no improvement give Benji or Wright an opportunity.

Wonder if MA doesnt want to play Wright or Benji cos neither are his signings where as he has bought in Dublin, Connelly and Blake and so far none of them have produced the goods. Maybe MA is desperate for these plays to come good and save his reputation rather than turn to a kid and one of PT signings to bail him out.

How about playing a 4-3-1-2 formation with Connelly as the man dropping off Scowcroft and Dublin. Stick Nalis in the middle between Wilcox and Tiatto then play four at the back. I think Connelly needs to get the ball knocked down to his feet rather than scapping for, well scraps, and being squeezed out of the forward play.

Keep the faith, I think you have hit the nail on the head.
MA is stubborn and can not accept his mistakes. He is adimant that he will prove his signings are good, That is why he continues playing Blake.
just like PT and Akinbadbuy. and look where that has got us

MA must go

Connolly has had a few chances he should have put away, agreed. However the guy must be pulling his hair out! He is 5 foot nothing and spends most of his time jumping for headers against 6 foot 5 defenders. What does everyone expect from him? The few chances he has had have been from scraps or from opportunities he has created himself. Anyone who even considers dropping connolly should think of 1 example of when he has been released by our midfield or been given a chance from a cross.

The guys work rate is phenomenol, compared to Dublin there is only one striker to consider dropping!! and before you even go there have a look at the guys who should be creating for our strikers!

dublins goal came from a headed flick on from connolly shouldn't it be the other way round? surely if a striker doesn't get the service then how deos he score?

Benji Benji Benji Benji the only one with effort

lako42 said:
Benji Benji Benji Benji the only one with effort

Benjamin may put the effort in, but come on, even with the most effort in the world he still will be a poor player at best. Benji is NOT and never will be good enough.

As for Connolly, he will come good. He is a quality player, but things aren't clicking just yet. His confidence must be rock bottom at the moment, as he knows he should has bagged at least four goals by now. It's almost as if he's trying to hard.

But Connolly's work rate is dropping alarmingly. Compare his Herculean efforts against West Ham in tropical temperatures with his very temperate performances recently.

I think that MA is wrong in backing Connolly so unconditionally. He has clearly taken his lead from Sven who is also wrong in his handling of Beckham.

It would do Connolly the world of good to warm the bench for a couple of games. It willl make him angry.

And that's what we need. Angry beavers. Just like James Walker.

levinwong said:
Connolly should be placed on the bench for the next game
He doesnt know that he need to score goals to win a place up front

The biggest problem City face this season is one which Micky Adams seems incapable of solving and which saw me lambasted for therefore questioning his suitability for the managers job earlier.

It's not his effort, his personality, his commitment... its his seeming inability to master the tactical side of managing.

It is obvious opponents are going to defend in numbers at the Walkers and rely on us losing confidence or concentration and so becoming vulnerable to a breakaway winning goal.

To counter this MA needs to have a team and substitutes with no passengers. Yet he persists in choosing people who have never satisfied the criteria for a good player of needing 7.5 good games out of 10. At least one has not played a single good game this season and everyone knows who.

There are others who remain short of that requirement so we start with a handicap.

Secondly the players remain indisciplined. The late Brian Clough insisted no bookings, no sendings off, no arguing with the ref and he usually got the response he asked for. MA doesn't learn does he?

So he doesn't learn with Blake and he doesn't learn with discipline. Sadly too, he doesn't seem to learn with tactics.

To me our best threat in attack is via Dublin/Scowcroft up front with Connolly playing off em and at least one and probably two wingers to provide the supply. It takes nerve but it would unlatch most defences.

Also the team has to vary its mode of attack. Repeated high balls (either crosses or otherwise) won't trouble good defenders but varied crosses will and if mixed with ground attacks and players taking defenders on to create space then even the best defence will crack.

Connolly has shown enough ability to be a vital part of a mixed strategy attack and will be harder to mark as the man playing off the central two (at home, this is).

Winning 3-2 is better than a boring 0-0 draw. Its better for our promotion hopes and its better for the fans to watch. Adams has a responsibility to both - if he'd only listen and learn.

No passengers, no indiscipline and no fear ... learn from the late, great, man Micky and one day you might earn the right to just a small proportion of the respect he earned.

Oh yes, he had a winger (apart from the legend John Robertson). Bloke called Alan Hinton. Never raced passed anyone as I remember. Just pinpoint crosses, high, low and usually pretty fierce into the most deadly areas. Is it so bloody difficult Micky?

Two of his three glaring failings are easy to solve if he's got the courage. Ditch the passengers and refuse to put up with indiscipline. Bosses are paid to be ruthless at times.

The tactics bit is harder. But not half as hard as playing with passengers and a man short.

Well said Tony, but change the tactics, you are kidding, MA is right and he will prove it.

If you cant change the man then, change the man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570