A Game of Three Thirds

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The reason would be to re-hydrate the players before they could carry on playing. That of course would play havoc with TV schedules and those kind of things.

Yeah just think of all those extra adverts the TV companies would have to put in. I'm sure they'd be gutted.

Not that there's a chance in hell that this will happen.

The thing I hate most about American Football is all the breaks. Imagine if this gets the go ahead then gradually just becomes part and parcel of the game.

Yeah just think of all those extra adverts the TV companies would have to put in. I'm sure they'd be gutted.

The way football is nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me if they made it 18 x 5 minute periods if there was enough in the brown envelopes.

As long as they don't bring that rule to the English leagues or England, i'll be fine with it

Last edited:

Actually, it makes me wonder whether this was the plan all along. Put in an extra ad break for the TV companies and pretend it's for health and safety.

Can't see this ever happening, especially as it is only a stadium engineer who has said it.

"The one thing FIFA do say, although it is for guidance, is if it's 32C they will stop a match and play three 30-minute thirds rather than two 45-minute halves.

a game could easily be played at 32C or more in the UK (and a lot of the world) in June/July and it would never be suggested to change the timings.

Nothing story, move on.

Last edited:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14068004.stm

Organisers of the 2022 World Cup have dismissed reports matches could be played in three 30-minute sections.

It had been claimed by a director of the company involved in cooling the stadiums in Qatar that the plan was under consideration.

But Qatar 2022 released a statement which said: "Splitting the games has not been discussed at any time.

"All 64 games will be played in carbon neutral cooled stadiums in two halves of 45 minutes, as per regulations."

Comments by Michael Beaven, a director of Arup Associates, had suggested that the traditional length of halves could be altered becasue of the heat which players will be subjected to in the first World Cup to be held in the Middle East.

He was speaking to delegates at the Qatar Infrastructure Conference in London.

Arup Associates are responsible for the development of zero-carbon solar technology which will be used in the air-conditioned stadiums, with outdoor temperatures during the finals likely to exceed 40C.

The statement added: "Statements on this subject made yesterday by Mr Beaven from Arup are without any foundation.

"Representatives from Arup are not spokespeople for Qatar 2022."

So the winner of the toss up would have the advantage of kicking the same way twice.

Once in a game of rugby my son played in for the school team they played a game of 4 time periods changing "ends" each time. The reason for it was the wind was so strong that the team with the wind got too much of an advantage. So the ref thought it was a good idea that one team did not build up too high a score during the first half, that the other team gave up.

The game ended in a draw.

I think the other team would kick the same way twice as well.

No, the other team would kick the other way twice; they would only kick the same way once.

No, the other team would kick the other way twice; they would only kick the same way once.

Ah. Hopefully, when the other team kick the other way the second time it will still be the same way as it was the first time - we don't want them to kick in a completely new direction.

Ah. Hopefully, when the other team kick the other way the second time it will still be the same way as it was the first time - we don't want them to kick in a completely new direction.

Indeed we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469