Abandoned Football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcukcov

Can anyone point me in the direction of the law that states how long needs to be played in a football match before it is abandoned (due to injury) for the result to stand?

Think this was discussed during/after the Ipswich game, and there isn't a rule.

Or it's 80 minutes...

Think this was discussed during/after the Ipswich game, and there isn't a rule.

Or it's 80 minutes...

Bugger, either are not good!

Can anyone point me in the direction of the law that states how long needs to be played in a football match before it is abandoned (due to injury) for the result to stand?

Football League Regulation 31.2
Duration of Matches

All League Matches shall be of 90 (ninety) minutes' duration but any League Match which from any cause whatever falls short of 90 (ninety) minutes' duration may be ordered to count as a completed fixture or be replayed in full or in part on whatever terms and conditions the Executive shall in their absolute discretion determine.

But I presume that we may be talking about something other than a Football League game. Your league will almost certainly have its own rule. There is nothing in the Laws about it.

Last edited:
Duration of Matches

All League Matches shall be of 90 (ninety) minutes' duration but any League Match which from any cause whatever falls short of 90 (ninety) minutes' duration may be ordered to count as a completed fixture or be replayed in full or in part on whatever terms and conditions the Executive shall in their absolute discretion determine

quite arbitrary

Duration of Matches

All League Matches shall be of 90 (ninety) minutes' duration but any League Match which from any cause whatever falls short of 90 (ninety) minutes' duration may be ordered to count as a completed fixture or be replayed in full or in part on whatever terms and conditions the Executive shall in their absolute discretion determine

Ah so IT IS up to the league to decide, which is what they are suggesting. Bugger.

There is nothing in the Laws about it.

Sorry.

Law 7 says, "An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules provide
otherw*s*"

Last edited:
Sorry.

Law 7 says, "An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules provide
otherw*s*"

The league have their own rules covering abandonment due to mis-conduct but not for injury. They are asking that both teams make observations and then they will discuss it at their committee meeting.

Ah so IT IS up to the league to decide, which is what they are suggesting. Bugger.

What happened in the game in question?

If your league has no rule about how they will deal with the situation, the game must be replayed.

What happened in the game in question?

If your league has no rule about how they will deal with the situation, the game must be replayed.

I don't want it replayed!! We were 3-1 up with 17 minutes to go when one of the opposition lads got injured (broken arm, not overly serious). They initially indicated that they were happy for the result to stand and only when the ref had called the game off after waiting for an ambulance did they change their tune and are now insisting it be replayed as they felt they could have got back into it!!

I don't want it replayed!! We were 3-1 up with 17 minutes to go when one of the opposition lads got injured (broken arm, not overly serious). They initially indicated that they were happy for the result to stand and only when the ref had called the game off after waiting for an ambulance did they change their tune and are now insisting it be replayed as they felt they could have got back into it!!

I know it's not what you want to hear but with only 73 minutes played, I would expect the League to order a replay. But do check whether they have a specific rule about it.

I know it's not what you want to hear but with only 73 minutes played, I would expect the League to order a replay. But do check whether they have a specific rule about it.

Yeh Ive checked the rules and to be honest I agree that I think that is what they will do, I only hope that after pleading my case they change their minds!

If the ref vouches for them effectively forfeiting the match, surely that may carry some weight?

If the ref vouches for them effectively forfeiting the match, surely that may carry some weight?

Depends on how 'jobs-worth' the committee are. They may feel that it isn't within the purview of a team to forfeit a match and that may make it all the more likely that they will rule that it is the committee, and the committee alone, who will make such decisions.

An ambulance called for a broken arm? Also why did the game have to be abandoned?

If I were fcukcov, I would be making these points to the league committee.

Depends on how 'jobs-worth' the committee are. They may feel that it isn't within the purview of a team to forfeit a match and that may make it all the more likely that they will rule that it is the committee, and the committee alone, who will make such decisions.

I think fcukcov's in trouble...

An ambulance called for a broken arm? Also why did the game have to be abandoned?

All points I am making in my "observations". It appeared to be a fractue dislocation and to be fair to him he did seem to be in a lot of pain!

It is if it is his wanking arm!

He told us he gets deep throat of his mrs every night so he isn't too worried about that!

We shall see which way it goes!

If I were fcukcov, I would be making these points to the league committee.

See above

I think fcukcov's in trouble...

As with all committees you could be right!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469