Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siouxsie

As I was driving away from Uppingham yesterday I was flagged down by someone standing in the road and it became obvious that a serious accident had occured not long before (no police or ambulance had arrived). It seemed the first on the scene had the situation well under control as far as traffic was concerned and, having no medical expertise, I decided there was nothing I could do to help so I turned round.

Unfortunately looking at the Leicester Mercury site it seems that my suspicions were correct and the motorcyclist has died.

I've been meaning to do a proper first aid course for years, I did a one day one about 10 years ago. I don't think it would have helped yesterday, but I felt so useless.

RIP.

Last edited:
As I was driving away from Uppingham yesterday I was flagged down by someone standing in the road and it became obvious that a serious accident had occured not long before (no police or ambulance had arrived). It seemed the first on the scene had the situation well under control as far as traffic was concerned and, having no medical expertise, I decided there was nothing I could do to help so I turned round.

Unfortunately looking at the Leicester Mercury site it seems that my suspicions were correct and the motorcyclist has died.

I've been meaning to do a proper first aid course for years, I did a one day one about 10 years ago. I don't think it would have helped yesterday, but I felt so useless.

RIP.
I sympathise with your feeling of helplessness but in my experience, most bikers have suicidal tendancies so it was probably only a matter of time. Just hope he was carrying a donor card.

I sympathise with your feeling of helplessness but in my experience, most bikers have suicidal tendancies so it was probably only a matter of time. Just hope he was carrying a donor card.

41 year old woman according to the Mercury.

There were a lot of bikers out in Rutland yesterday - I think the sunny weather brought them out.

It's hard because no-one deserves to die, and I don't want to tar her based on my experiences and without any evidence, but I have had a large number of cyclists who had it not been for my avoidance techniques would now be jam at the mercy of my car. It seems a number of them know that cars will generally act to avoid them and so cycle as they choose. In particular people who cycle two abreadst annoy me, aside from it being illegal you really are doubling your chances of being hit, especially on winding country roads.

I would say its a minority of bikers now who ride with a suicidal tendancy as you put it! And WTF difference does it make if they carry a donor card? I don't!!!

He has already noshed most of his organs in a mixed grill. :icon_wink

RIP.

It isnt your fault somebody had an accident :102: however if you think about first aid training i would recommend the ambulance centre at the meridian it is far more useful than red cross or st johns. :023:

It isnt your fault somebody had an accident :102: however if you think about first aid training i would recommend the ambulance centre at the meridian it is far more useful than red cross or st johns. :023:
I strongly suspect that a first aid course is useless when it comes to motorbike accidents, I'd recommend some sort of sewing class.

Not meaning to make a joke of it, but first aid courses are excellent for the workplace, town centres, groups etc. But in most road accident cases I suspect they are bloody useless.

I strongly suspect that a first aid course is useless when it comes to motorbike accidents, I'd recommend some sort of sewing class.

Not meaning to make a joke of it, but first aid courses are excellent for the workplace, town centres, groups etc. But in most road accident cases I suspect they are bloody useless.

That obviously depends on the level of training. Most first aid courses today focus on keeping a person alive until an ambulance arrives. The last time I had to give some one first aid, albeit for a fit, I was stunned to see how many people were trying to roll the woman on to her back. They had no idea what the recovery position was and no idea how to clear an airway !
Now-a-days there is a big focus on donor cards/giving blood etc, so that lives can be saved and yet very little promotion of first aid courses. More lives would be saved if everybody was made to do a first aid course.
Unfortunately, first aid doesn't work in every instance and in the case of severe motorcycle accidents is rarely of any use, as you can do as much damage by moving the person.

That obviously depends on the level of training. Most first aid courses today focus on keeping a person alive until an ambulance arrives. The last time I had to give some one first aid, albeit for a fit, I was stunned to see how many people were trying to roll the woman on to her back. They had no idea what the recovery position was and no idea how to clear an airway !
Now-a-days there is a big focus on donor cards/giving blood etc, so that lives can be saved and yet very little promotion of first aid courses. More lives would be saved if everybody was made to do a first aid course.
Unfortunately, first aid doesn't work in every instance and in the case of severe motorcycle accidents is rarely of any use, as you can do as much damage by moving the person.
Yes, and you've basically just echoed what I said.

Fits, bleeding, sprains, burns etc are all "helpable" if you've done a course, and I often think about doing one, especially with having four children.

But as we've both said, serious RTA's will require Ambulance training at minimum. So even if Siouxsie had done her course, she'd have no doubt been useless.

Yes, but the downside would be less organs available for donation........

(Yes, that was ironic FFS!)

Yes, but the downside would be less organs available for donation........

Not necessarily true. Mortally injured casualties have to be kept alive for long enough to allow the removal of suitable organs immediately after death.

I've often thought that first aid should be a compulsory part of the national curriculum - probably far more useful in life than desert regions in geography or the woodwork class where I made a tea towel holder (even though I was very proud of it at the time). If everyone did a little, annually from an early age that's got to be good.

I do take the point though that there was probably nothing I could have done for the poor motorcyclist on Sunday (I didn't want to rubber neck and look too closely, I just got the general impression from the way people were behaving that it wasn't too good) but the previous time when I was first on the scene at an accident I was glad I was with a friend who had previously been a nurse and knew what she was doing with someone who had more minor injuries.

First Aid should be taught at school in my opinion.

I am a complete wuss when it comes to blood and guts and stuff like that, I never even used to be able to watch Casualty without feeling sick! But I did my first aid training in the RAF and it came in useful about three years ago in Blaby when a Land Rover that was pulling a trailer pulled off at the lights and the trailer sheared off it's tow bar. The trailer (which thankfully was empty) spun around and hit an old lady that was walking on the path.

I didn't see the actual incident but when I came out of the Post Office there were probably a dozen people standing around, nearly all of them on the phone calling an ambulance.

As bad as it sounds I actually felt like running away, getting in my car and letting somebody else deal with it as I didn't feel confident in my ability. But after taking a deep breath I went over, cleared the watchers away, got somebody's coat and checked the old dear out.

She was talking thankfully, so it was just a case of keeping her still and warm until the paramedic arrived.

It did make me think afterwards though about how serious it could have been. The lady (I think her name was Iris) was lucky that the trailer spun and hit her using it's side, rather than the front which was lower and would have hit her legs. Really all it did was knock her flying and most of the damage was due to her age and frailty. It did shock me though to see so many people standing around helplessly.

i did first aid when i was a girl guide although it was many moons ago but im sure i could still manage mouth-to-mouth ok :icon_lol:

Not necessarily true. Mortally injured casualties have to be kept alive for long enough to allow the removal of suitable organs immediately after death.

Yes but if they survived (and that was what I was referring to) they are hardly going to be wanting to donate body parts are they :102:

Unless they are EXTREMELY masochistic :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670