Alan Young on Yakubu

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeCovFox

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/news/A...er-Yakubu/article-3451888-detail/article.html

I don't listen to Radio Leicester so somebody else will have to tell me if Alan young is normally this moronic. Seems he is calling Yakubu lazy in the nicest possible way.

Now this bloke has scored seven goals for us in fifteen games. He has assisted a few, he holds the ball up well and at times creates space for other attacking players by his presence alone (even if you wouldn't know it at times because of our lack of attacking movement).

He isn't and will never be Robbie Savage, chasing every ball. He is there to score and create goals and has done so. All I heard on Tuesday night (well, other than the fawning over Chris 'Shilts' Weale and my mate moaning about his cheese and onion pasty) were comments about Yakubu's perceived laziness.

That's fine, I expect some football fans (as with people in general) to be idiots. But I don't expect some clown off the radio to be openly slagging off one of our most important players before some very important matches.

The comment off Young which gets me the most is

'Ian Rush was Liverpool's best defender'.

Ian Rush played thirty years ago, I hate all 'punditry' which is developed off ''back in my day''.

Football's changed, jog on.

What annoys me is when people mention his wages. The guy could have sat on Evertons bench and still got his 40-50k a week, he might have even seen some PREM action. We should be thankful a player of Yak's quality even thought twice about coming to us.

He has always been an on-off performer who looked occasionally disinterested thats a known fact, why people expected a Nigerian Paul Dickov is beyond me.

His goal against Derby was World Class - thats good enough for this blue mongie!

"It's okay saying he's scored 47 goals in 14 games but they need to be spread out a bit more"

Bloody hell, 47 in 14 and he's still got a problem with that? Fantastic.

I thought the thread title was describing what could possibly be the worst selling gay DVD of all time. I'm not sure if I was wrong.

...Football's changed, jog on.

With our GK and back 4, keeping the ball as near to the opposition goal as possible is obviously our best defensive tactic.

Youngy is obviously acting as spirit guide for messages from beyond the grave from Jock Wallace, in which case I agree with every word he transmits.

All Yak has to do is lead the line like Steve Howard (until the muppet got that red card), Waggy and that other bloke did this time last year when we reeled off five straight wins before the playoffs.

Completely agree with the OP.

I think I have a very different idea on football and how it's played than Alan Young, as I very, very rarely seem to agree with him. Yakubu has been quality so far and far, far more effective than workhorses like Waghorn and Howard.

Last edited:
What I dont understand is why Yakubu's apparent laziness seems a surprise to some people. Throughout his career he has strolled around looking like he doesnt give a sh*t but he scores goals.

Rather than getting on the guys back we should be encouraging him to stay because if we are to go up next year a striker of his quality would make it a lot easier!

apparently, the injury that Yakubu had last year, a torn achilles, is the worst you can get apart from a torn ACL. even after it has healed, it is never really the same again.

the yak was one of the only players in the country capable of scoring 20 a season in the prem on a regular basis. the only reason he is here is because he isn't capable of doing that any more due to that injury, imo. him not being able to hare around for 90 mins is the trade off we made for having a player of his quality is at this level. if it wasn't for that down-side, he'd be in the prem with everton. still think we are lucky to have him.

The comment off Young which gets me the most is

Ian Rush played thirty years ago, I hate all 'punditry' which is developed off ''back in my day''.

Football's changed, jog on.

Oh dear , what a wrong answer and Hazzman is usually one of the more sensible posters.

I believe Alan Young is wrong but Hazzman's criticism is IMO absurd.
Any punditry on football or dozens of other subjects is based on History. If you do not know the History you do not know the subject.

Oh dear , what a wrong answer and Hazzman is usually one of the more sensible posters.

I believe Alan Young is wrong but Hazzman's criticism is IMO absurd.
Any punditry on football or dozens of other subjects is based on History. If you do not know the History you do not know the subject.

It's all well and good knowing the history of the game but someone like Mr Young should be able to recognise that things have moved on, and that the requirements of a modern day footballer are a little different to "his day".

What I dont understand is why Yakubu's apparent laziness seems a surprise to some people

I understand why it is a surprise to some people. Some people are morons, Alan Young proves this every week on RL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566