Confirmed Transfer Alex Smithies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club is pleased to confirm the signing of experienced goalkeeper Alex Smithies, subject to Premier League approval.

The 32-year-old, who most recently played for Cardiff City, joins the Foxes on a two-year deal.

He started his career with Huddersfield Town, where he spent eight seasons, making over 200 appearances for the Terriers.

A switch to Queens Park Rangers followed in 2015, with Smithies spending three years at Loftus Road before moving to South Wales in 2018.

While at Cardiff, the shot-stopper established himself as an important figure, playing a total of 100 times for the Bluebirds in all competitions.

Speaking to LCFC TV, he said: “It feels amazing. It’s the first time I’ve been to the new training ground and it’s just incredible. What a place to work and come and thrive. I’m really looking forward to it.

“I’ve played against quite a lot of the lads so I’m sure I’ll fit in well. I’ve played a lot of games in my career, the majority of them in the Championship, and my role here might be a little different. I might be more of a team player, supporting and being ready to step in as soon as I’m asked to.

“It’s up to me to push the lads as far as I can, try and get in the team, and make sure I’m a good character around the place who can help the lads."

He will now link-up with his new teammates as they continue their 2022/23 Premier League campaign.

Hope he'll be fit and ready to face Stockport in a few weeks.

If we'd signed him ten years ago I'd have been beyond excited, things didn't quite work out for him though. All this talk of being third choice though, I'd rather we see this as making room to give Iversen another loan to push his development.

Welcome aboard Smithers. Some big shoes to fill after Jakupovic.

I'd rather we see this as making room to give Iversen another loan to push his development.

How experienced does he have to be before we decide he's 'developed'?

He's started more first team games than Ward, Daka, Iheanacho, KDH, Barnes, Thomas, Amartey, Fofana and Justin. He's older than most of them too.

He's presumably signed as 3rd choice keeper, so we're hoping to never see him play.

Our one summer signing - how exciting.

Confirms that we're definitely not signing a new number 1 keeper though. Knowing us, we'll realise what a huge mistake we've made by about 5th September.

How experienced does he have to be before we decide he's 'developed'?

He's started more first team games than Ward, Daka, Iheanacho, KDH, Barnes, Thomas, Amartey, Fofana and Justin. He's older than most of them too.
There's quite the difference in the level of game he's been starting compared to all of them though, and he's in a position where players bloom later. He may well be as developed as he'll ever be, in which case I see no evidence he's good enough and we should look to get rid, or he may have further to go so could use the development opportunity. Either way, a loan will do him and the club good

There's quite the difference in the level of game he's been starting compared to all of them though,

How is he going to get experience at a higher level?
Another loan in the championship won't give him that.
Maybe a Premier League club will have him on loan. But he'll end up on the bench there instead of for us.

We have to decide whether Iversen is the number 2 and on the bench every week. If not, the only sensible decision is to sell him. Another loan will prove nothing. He could play another season in the Championship and we'd be in the exact same position next summer. As has been said, he's not gonna go on loan and play first-team games for Chelsea or become Atletico Madrid's number 1.

We have to decide whether Iversen is the number 2 and on the bench every week.

If you read Smithies' comments in the first post it's obvious he's been told he's going to be third choice.

Hopefully we've got some real competition for the number one spot now. When Schmeichel missed the odd game we knew he'd be straight back in the team. If Iversen gets a chance he might get a run in the team.

If you read Smithies' comments in the first post it's obvious he's been told he's going to be third choice.

Hopefully we've got some real competition for the number one spot now. When Schmeichel missed the odd game we knew he'd be straight back in the team. If Iversen gets a chance he might get a run in the team.
Yeah clearly he knows he's 3rd choice. Our goalkeeping trio is set for this season. Don't see why any fans think we should mess with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566