Am I the only one ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melton Fox said:
Come on Boc, if you took that comment seriously, then I give up.

I am 100% behind the team, it is my right to criticise or complement after the game in pubs and on forums etc, but at the match I am 100% behind the team, that is never in doubt.

As such, I feel no guilt in posting the above type of quip.

Of course I didn't take the comment seriously - and if I had doen I wouldn't have responded in the fashion that I did. But I do see a sense of frustration setting in already - and I am talking generally here - please don't think I am focussing it on you; it is just that it is you that is discussing it with me.

But the goalkeeper issue is a case in point; I thought we had all agreed to agree that Douglas and Henderson are about the best that we can expect to do at the moment - we would like better, but they'll do at this level - and that we also have up-and-coming another useful keeper in Conrad Logan. I'm sure that was what was said. But suddenly after three so-so pre-season results and one clearly unexpected one, a non-forced error by one of our keepers has re-opened the fanciful debate about which keeper we can/should bring to the Walkers.

It may be that you can be 100% behind the team and keep your moaning for other times, but that does not apply generally across the whole swathe of City supporters. My point in initiating the thread is that I feel I can see unhappiness building up along the lines I indicated and I wish it was different because I don't think it is productive.

Melton Fox said:
(ps, I never knew Hansie Cronje was dead, it's shocked me a tad. How did that pass me by)

Killed in a plane crash, wasn't he?

And your applauding (elsewhere) of Durham's expression of disgust at the "OFF, OFF, OFF" chant aimed at Douglas seems to suggest that you have some awareness of the problem.

bocadillo said:
It may be that you can be 100% behind the team and keep your moaning for other times, but that does not apply generally across the whole swathe of City supporters. My point in initiating the thread is that I feel I can see unhappiness building up along the lines I indicated and I wish it was different because I don't think it is productive.

Killed in a plane crash, wasn't he?

In general yes, I keep my moaning until after the game, however, occasionally I criticise during the game, but not loudly, only in conversation with my party

In general Boc I see your issue and largely agree with you. The booing last season and the season before was the catalyst to the situation we find now, the slightest mistake now and a large section of the crowd are immediately on the players back. It's wrong

Cronje, yes, he missed his flight and hitched a ride on a cargo plane that lost control in bad weather. (I wonder if he was paid to take the plane down)

I'm with Brauny - very well summed up. I would only add the elation that followed coming out of administration for the rest of that season, and i for one will always hold MA in high regard for how he held things together that year.

bocadillo said:
OK - so you're saying that City hadn't been down long enough for the fans (even unconciously) to really get behind them - but that you think that day is coming.

Interesting thought.

Exactly Boc, it was almost as if our fans after MON thought that a mid table premier league place was the norm. They seemed to forget about the size and resources of our club. On the basis of being par for the course, i believe our club will range from being a struggling premier side down to a challenging championship one. Charlton fans might also find this after AC departure. A well run club with the right manager can see us step outside that tolerance like we did in the MON era. Imo the penny as started to drop with the current generation of young fans, who imo may have now started to realise that the 90's was a remarkable chapter in the clubs history.

OldGit said:
I'm with Brauny - very well summed up. I would only add the elation that followed coming out of administration for the rest of that season, and i for one will always hold MA in high regard for how he held things together that year.
exactl og and to be fair that year under ma wasn't doom and gloom-we only lost once or twice at home all season, and that year saw one of the best performances at the walkers so far with the 4-1 win over millwall

drummindefender said:
exactl og and to be fair that year under ma wasn't doom and gloom-we only lost once or twice at home all season, and that year saw one of the best performances at the walkers so far with the 4-1 win over millwall
after steve claridge opened the scoring for them.

there were no millwall fans if i remember rightly too

Brauny Blue said:
Exactly Boc, it was almost as if our fans after MON thought that a mid table premier league place was the norm. They seemed to forget about the size and resources of our club. On the basis of being par for the course, i believe our club will range from being a struggling premier side down to a challenging championship one. Charlton fans might also find this after AC departure. A well run club with the right manager can see us step outside that tolerance like we did in the MON era. Imo the penny as started to drop with the current generation of young fans, who imo may have now started to realise that the 90's was a remarkable chapter in the clubs history.
100% bloody right, although there are some who think the MON days were the norm - they ought to look at our history, we are a yo-yo club, and because of our fan base and ability to generate off the field income ( i.e. we are not going to pick up shirt sponsorships like the Arsenals and Man U's of this world ) we always will be. A little bit of comparative glory together with a fair bit of struggle - anyone who seriously thinks otherwise is supporting the wrong size of club in the wrong city - if we were based in London the income streams would be a bit higher for a club our size.

One of the troubles maybe that the 5 years under MON WERE to much to bear for a lot of us GENUINE SUCCESS has in my 60 years passed us by all to soon and the ignomy of a catastrophic fall from grace soon became another period of exceptance that we had punched well above our weight in those heady years, gained plenty of new support on the gravy train. Now the reality of today is we are the poor relations in monetory terms which brings its own disallusions fighting against the odds of teams being more successful on the park and off it.

M.O.N I'm afraid has a lot to answer for, in his brilliant attempts to overcome the odds he created an illusion that we were better than we really are, and we cant forget it.

Real Sharapova said:
100% bloody right, although there are some who think the MON days were the norm - they ought to look at our history, we are a yo-yo club, and because of our fan base and ability to generate off the field income ( i.e. we are not going to pick up shirt sponsorships like the Arsenals and Man U's of this world ) we always will be. A little bit of comparative glory together with a fair bit of struggle - anyone who seriously thinks otherwise is supporting the wrong size of club in the wrong city - if we were based in London the income streams would be a bit higher for a club our size.

Spot on RS, that's why so many people (myself included) are so bitter about Peter Taylor. At the point he took over there was 20-25m in the kitty which is probably going to be the only chance in our lifetimes for LCFC to make the step up to the next rung of football.

Clubs of our size always have to be looking over their shoulders as we can't generate the income to attract the top players or managers, and consequently the big sponsorship deals.

I'd say it's now reached the stage that any team outside the 'big 6' could be relegated from the Premier League in any season.

western road said:
One of the troubles maybe that the 5 years under MON WERE to much to bear for a lot of us GENUINE SUCCESS has in my 60 years passed us by all to soon and the ignomy of a catastrophic fall from grace soon became another period of exceptance that we had punched well above our weight in those heady years, gained plenty of new support on the gravy train. Now the reality of today is we are the poor relations in monetory terms which brings its own disallusions fighting against the odds of teams being more successful on the park and off it.

M.O.N I'm afraid has a lot to answer for, in his brilliant attempts to overcome the odds he created an illusion that we were better than we really are, and we cant forget it.

Interesting point. What do the clubs fans really want? if you look at Southampton and Coventrys records they both sustained long periods in the top flight, but survival was the name of the game. We had our version of boom and bust with 10 or so very eventful years. We packed more into those 10 years than Cov and Saints did in 50 years between them. So what would the fans go for a struggle in the premier or the yo yo existence our club usually manages to perform?

Brauny Blue said:
Interesting point. What do the clubs fans really want? if you look at Southampton and Coventrys records they both sustained long periods in the top flight, but survival was the name of the game. We had our version of boom and bust with 10 or so very eventful years. We packed more into those 10 years than Cov and Saints did in 50 years between them. So what would the fans go for a struggle in the premier or the yo yo existence our club usually manages to perform?

The one (semi) realistic thing I'd love to see, is for us to win the FA Cup one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69