Am I the only one ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bocadillo said:
I'm neither an optimist or depressant. I just have no confidence in us as a group of fans. I don't think we're supportive enough. And I think we're too fickle by half.
How can things be improved?

bocadillo said:
I'm neither an optimist or depressant. I just have no confidence in us as a group of fans. I don't think we're supportive enough. And I think we're too fickle by half.

I remember you saying to me during the Boston match "It's gonna be a long season" after a poor pass by one of our players.
Sounds pretty pessimistic to me. :icon_lol:

Melton Fox said:

went to a pre-season friendly a woking a couple of years back. Part of the ground was fenced off & labelled "Moaners Corner"

only problem is it would take up three quarters of the walkers

Melton Fox said:

Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un fan pour encourager les autres.

pds said:
I remember you saying to me during the Boston match "It's gonna be a long season" after a poor pass by one of our players.
Sounds pretty pessimistic to me. :icon_lol:

I am tempted to plead "statement-of-fact".

bocadillo said:
Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un fan pour encourager les autres.
Dance when you pay, Bon Scott is hot, and then cold when encouraged, he likes lezzas in autumn

Doesn't make sense Boc :102:

Last edited:
Melton Fox said:
Dance when you pay, Bon Scott is hot, and then cold when encouraged, he likes lezzas in autumn

When you put it like that, it makes perfect sense. I always wondered what the foreign stuff meant!

Melton Fox said:

isnt that a discription of HF?:102:

bocadillo said:
When you put it like that, it makes perfect sense. I always wondered what the foreign stuff meant!
10/10 for question dodging :icon_wink :icon_lol:

Melton Fox said:
10/10 for question dodging :icon_wink :icon_lol:

If you want an answer, I don't think there is one. What will be, will be. I'm not foolish enough to think that 20,000 people can change their attitude in any meaningful way - well. not just because their football team needs them to.

bocadillo said:
If you want an answer, I don't think there is one. What will be, will be. I'm not foolish enough to think that 20,000 people can change their attitude in any meaningful way - well. not just because their football team needs them to.
It's like the chicken and the egg argument.

Who lifts the game first, the fans or the team?

Well IMO, we are the paying customer. The vibes MUST come from the pitch first

Melton Fox said:
It's like the chicken and the egg argument.

Who lifts the game first, the fans or the team?

Well IMO, we are the paying customer. The vibes MUST come from the pitch first

Yes, I know that argument and can see your point of view. But a fan is not simply a paying customer. Yes, we pay because we want to get in. But we're more than that. We're people whose emotional investment is greater than our financial one and for that reason alone, I think that we shoudl always wait until the players encourage us, We are there to encourage them.

But that's not really what I am talking about. It is not what sparked me to instigate this thread. It's more that I can already see people getting disillusioned at a time when we should be working towards fever-pitch. One day people are saying that pre-season games are no guide - but as soon as we draw one, they lose all sense of proportion and declare us facked; when in fact, all it was was a pre-season from which conclusions shouldn't be drawn.

I still think play offs minimum, I won't expect or anticipate anything less.

And I'm still buzzing

Last edited:
Melton Fox said:
I still think play offs minimum, I won't expect or anticipate anything less.

And I'm still buzzing

I'm not talking about buzzing - I'm talking about being supportive. Weren't you the one that said he would rather see a dead Afrikaans cheat between the sticks than the present incumbent. How supportive is that? (NB not trying to make an example of you, but to use your statement as an example of what I mean - if you follow me)

I believe our team needs more supprt than we (collectively) are likely to muster. We can do it when things are going right, but the slighest set-back stops us in our tracks.

Last edited:
Imo it depends a large extent on whats gone on before. The MON years were fantastic for the glory side of things and we probaly punched above our weight for those years. But in some ways i enjoyed the Brian Little period just as much for certain reasons. Brian Little took over after the club had that last day escape from div 3, this being after 6 or 7 very poor years. That moment seemed to galvanize both the club and the fans. What followed was a very good season where the club gained momentum, culminating in that incredible night at Filbo when we stuffed Cambridge 5-0 and reached Wembley for the first time in 23 years. Yes we lost that play off final and again the following year, but after those barren years the fans were 'up for it' and the mood around the club was far more positive than it had been for some time. During the MON era i'm sure that there was many a city fan that needed to pinch themselves at times about the clubs success, but that in itself was a pitfall. Imo we got a bit too big for our boots and premier games became run of the mill stuff. I certainly got carried away with wins at Liverpool, Man U and many other top clubs. In all this time the club were heading for a fall. The departure of MON , the clubs high wage bill, and players who had peaked or players that wanted to move on. When it all came crashing down under PT the club hit a decline like i've never known before. Although many might not see it this way i believe both MA and CL have played a part in resurrecting our club. They won't get the glory for it, but imo they both helped put the club back in the right direction. Those years under MA and CL were depressing, but we had to have them to clear our heads and start moving forwards again. I don't think the fans at this stage will be over demanding, and i'm starting to think like those years under Brian Little that for the first time in a long while Leicester city fans can start looking forward to the future again. We won't get the MON days back any day soon, but i feel there is cautious optimism about us. We made plenty of mistakes in trying to preserve our top flight status, so lets hope that when we go up next time that the foundations are all on solid ground.

Brauny Blue said:
Imo it depends a large extent on whats gone on before. The MON years were fantastic for the glory side of things and we probaly punched above our weight for those years. But in some ways i enjoyed the Brian Little period just as much for certain reasons. Brian Little took over after the club had that last day escape from div 3, this being after 6 or 7 very poor years. That moment seemed to galvanize both the club and the fans. What followed was a very good season where the club gained momentum, culminating in that incredible night at Filbo when we stuffed Cambridge 5-0 and reached Wembley for the first time in 23 years. Yes we lost that play off final and again the following year, but after those barren years the fans were 'up for it' and the mood around the club was far more positive than it had been for some time. During the MON era i'm sure that there was many a city fan that needed to pinch themselves at times about the clubs success, but that in itself was a pitfall. Imo we got a bit too big for our boots and premier games became run of the mill stuff. I certainly got carried away with wins at Liverpool, Man U and many other top clubs. In all this time the club were heading for a fall. The departure of MON , the clubs high wage bill, and players who had peaked or players that wanted to move on. When it all came crashing down under PT the club hit a decline like i've never known before. Although many might not see it this way i believe both MA and CL have played a part in resurrecting our club. They won't get the glory for it, but imo they both helped put the club back in the right direction. Those years under MA and CL were depressing, but we had to have them to clear our heads and start moving forwards again. I don't think the fans at this stage will be over demanding, and i'm starting to think like those years under Brian Little that for the first time in a long while Leicester city fans can start looking forward to the future again. We won't get the MON days back any day soon, but i feel there is cautious optimism about us. We made plenty of mistakes in trying to preserve our top flight status, so lets hope that when we go up next time that the foundations are all on solid ground.

Good piece, BB!

But don't you think that the fans gave the lead from the day of the Oxford game right through those four Wembley games until we managed to get ourselves settled into the glory days of the Prem. I'm not sure that we are prepared to do that any more.

bocadillo said:
Good piece, BB!

But don't you think that the fans gave the lead from the day of the Oxford game right through those four Wembley games until we managed to get ourselves settled into the glory days of the Prem. I'm not sure that we are prepared to do that any more.

What i'm saying Boc is that the longer the fans have been starved of success, the more they will get behind the team when any sniff of it comes along. Like the Ashes series last year, it had been that long since the previous Ashes win that the fans were like in a frenzy and right behind England. The Aussies were shell shocked. When Leicester were last in the prem under MA, i detected an air of depression because nobody was convinced the club was going in the right direction. But things are slowly changing for the better, i'm just a tad worried though that the fans think that we will start this season in the same way we ended the last dozen or so games last time round.
I've said before that we have a very good stadium, but we have not seen a good Leicester side play in it yet. For the first time in 5 years this club is starting an upward trend and i look forward to the day when the Leicester fans can march out of the Walkers and say 'great game, great atmosphere'. Imo thats not happened yet, but we are making some reasonable steps towards it.

Brauny Blue said:
What i'm saying Boc is that the longer the fans have been starved of success, the more they will get behind the team when any sniff of it comes along. Like the Ashes series last year, it had been that long since the previous Ashes win that the fans were like in a frenzy and right behind England. The Aussies were shell shocked. When Leicester were last in the prem under MA, i detected an air of depression because nobody was convinced the club was going in the right direction. But things are slowly changing for the better, i'm just a tad worried though that the fans think that we will start this season in the same way we ended the last dozen or so games last time round.
I've said before that we have a very good stadium, but we have not seen a good Leicester side play in it yet. For the first time in 5 years this club is starting an upward trend and i look forward to the day when the Leicester fans can march out of the Walkers and say 'great game, great atmosphere'. Imo thats not happened yet, but we are making some reasonable steps towards it.

OK - so you're saying that City hadn't been down long enough for the fans (even unconciously) to really get behind them - but that you think that day is coming.

Interesting thought.

Brauny Blue said:
Imo it depends a large extent on whats gone on before. The MON years were fantastic for the glory side of things and we probaly punched above our weight for those years. But in some ways i enjoyed the Brian Little period just as much for certain reasons. Brian Little took over after the club had that last day escape from div 3, this being after 6 or 7 very poor years. That moment seemed to galvanize both the club and the fans......
:038: Nicely put.

bocadillo said:
Weren't you the one that said he would rather see a dead Afrikaans cheat between the sticks than the present incumbent. How supportive is that?
Come on Boc, if you took that comment seriously, then I give up.

I am 100% behind the team, it is my right to criticise or complement after the game in pubs and on forums etc, but at the match I am 100% behind the team, that is never in doubt.

As such, I feel no guilt in posting the above type of quip.

(ps, I never knew Hansie Cronje was dead, it's shocked me a tad. How did that pass me by)

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69