Ancestry.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate Fox

Does anyone on here use it? Is it worth the expense? I want to trace my family tree...

Does anyone on here use it? Is it worth the expense? I want to trace my family tree...

I found I got more information from speaking to grandparents than from the website. The tool is useful for organising it and there is some good information there, but it's a chore sifting through the censuses and hurt my eyes. It would be easier if it was organised in a database for easier searching.

My family is more like a bush than a tree. A big, thorny, briary bush with poisonous berries

I found I got more information from speaking to grandparents than from the website. The tool is useful for organising it and there is some good information there, but it's a chore sifting through the censuses and hurt my eyes. It would be easier if it was organised in a database for easier searching.

Bit difficult to talk to parents/grandparents as all are passed, along with majority of remaining aunties/uncles. My information is sadly lacking in that I dont even know grandparent's full names so its a tricky one.

It would be easier if it was organised in a database for easier searching.

:icon_eek: You're ****ing joking! I thought it already was, I thought that was the only point of it?

:icon_eek: You're ****ing joking! I thought it already was, I thought that was the only point of it?

It searches the census to take you to the right page for the name, but there are hundreds of names on each page in tiny scribbly writing IIRC.

I have done quite a lot of family research over the last year, and i've been reasonably successful in both tracing my own roots, and also doing it for family and friends.
I find it becomes quite addictive once you get started, and for instance in my own family i have managed to find many things that the family didnt know.
It can be both frustrating, but also very rewarding.

There are fors and against for most of the sites that deal with research.

I have subscribed to Genes Reunited for most of my research, and also use Find my past as well as FreeBMD.
Ancestry is good in general, but can also be frustrating in terms of its presentation of results on a search. Its also the site i would use to trace any of your family that might have served in WW1, for their service records.

Cate, send us a PM if you want to know any more info.

Last edited:
I'm using it right now, but only because they're offering a 14 day free trial. I would wait until the u.k. 'branch' does the same. It has proved very useful after only two days.

I have used Ancestry a lot over the last 10 years (apart from my own family I have done paid commissions). The range of information is growing all the time, but you really need to put together as much info as you can (names, dates places) over the last 2 or 3 generations) before committing to the expense. You can access the certificate indices and order certificates without signing up to ancestry or other subscription sites.

If there is anything I can look up for you (within reason!) PM me

I have registered for the site, which allows you to use the tree-making tools for free. I can do basic searches, but cannot access the results without subscribing. Like BB, I've used FreeBMD, and I've used FreeCen, however because these are voluntary projects, the data available can be limited.

Some parish records are also available online for free; I've managed to find about 100 years of family history from one such resource. If your family are local, there may also be information in the local library; I found out a lot of information in Ratby just by visiting the library there one morning.

I would like to subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk for more information, but I don't have the time to commit to using it at the moment. As mentioned above, it can be addictive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566