Andy King to Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon 'Sven's project' may have a bigger influence on keeping the semblance of a team together than many seem to think.

Don't be too hasty booking that taxi for Mr King.

Well, if we are going to use the employee metaphor:

If I worked at a company that had brought me up through the ranks, had bunches of ambition and were hiring the management and staff to support their ambitious claims all while insisting I am a vital piece of the plan...I'd be loathe to leave it.

Add in that I might be settled in the region, enjoy my coworkers, and knew that if I performed to my level I'd be paid handsomely and might even get rewarded with a leadership position.

I suppose what I am saying is this: If I were in Andy King's position professionally, it would take a massive raise and a massive promotion to dislodge me from a club that is familiar and that is clearly going places.

It's less about looking at it from a fan's perspective and more from a "what would I do professionally?" perspective.

Its in the nature of ambitious sports people to be driven to play at the highest possible level. In the case of professional footballers in England you can multiply that drive by whatever where there is a chance to play in the Premier League.

Again as pointed out by Claridge 96, it is well known Everton haven't got a pot to piss in at the moment

Plus I don't think King is worth anywhere near £10million

Rodwell will be leaving for big money in the summer.

Its in the nature of ambitious sports people to be driven to play at the highest possible level. In the case of professional footballers in England you can multiply that drive by whatever where there is a chance to play in the Premier League.

Heaven forbid that money should come into the equation.:102:

Bigger and better things for Andy than Everton, try Leicester for a kick off, then the red side of Liverpool and Manchester just for starters, only if we don't make to the top tier. Fee ? Nothing less than 15 mill in my opinion with umpteen sell on clauses and appearances adding to the bill for his services, yes he is that good, and will get better.

A footballers career is much shorter than most people's though. In any profession would you not want to reach the top? He has more of an opportunity to do so at Everton than Leicester and this could be the only chance of his career to make that step up to the next level. He'd regret it at the end of his career if he didn't move at this point and as such never achieved much in the game.

If he left in the summer I would not hold it against him for leaving for a second, neither would I for any other player who ever leaves us to further his career. He's done a good job for us in his time and I'd hold him in good regard for that and not for why or to whom he left us or left us for.

I'll grant you Everton is a club I would certainly consider in King's situation...but Bolton, Wigan, Fulham, West Brom etc....I'm not sure in the long term they look any more appealing than City, at least not to Andy King. I understand the "play at the highest level" comment...but he may well believe in Sven and the club enough to think that is an inevitability for Leicester.

Bigger and better things for Andy than Everton, try Leicester for a kick off, then the red side of Liverpool and Manchester just for starters, only if we don't make to the top tier. Fee ? Nothing less than 15 mill in my opinion with umpteen sell on clauses and appearances adding to the bill for his services, yes he is that good, and will get better.

:)

like it...is this a parody of blue mongyness?

it is right?

what's the most ever paid for a second flight player in England?

it's not Akinbiyi is it?

I'll grant you Everton is a club I would certainly consider in King's situation...but Bolton, Wigan, Fulham, West Brom etc....I'm not sure in the long term they look any more appealing than City, at least not to Andy King.

Given Everton's current financial plight I would include them with the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Fulham and West Brom. It wouldn't surprise me if David Moyes was gone in the summer unless Bill Kenwright can find significant investment. It's known that DM was frustrated in January at not being able to invest in the squad.

Everton have become more than familiar with the bottom half of the Premier League in recent years and I can't see that changing until the club has new owners.

None of which makes it an exciting proposition for an up and coming prospect.

Last edited:
Everton have become more than familiar with the bottom half of the Premier League in recent years and I can't see that changing until the club has new owners.

Not really - one bottom half finish and one 8th place in last 6 years!

Everton's league positions
2000-01 38 6 8 5 29 27 5 1 13 16 32 -14 42 16th
2001-02 38 8 4 7 26 23 3 6 10 19 34 -12 43 15th
2002-03 38 11 5 3 28 19 6 3 10 20 30 -1 59 7th
2003-04 38 8 5 6 27 20 1 7 11 18 37 -12 39 17th
2004-05 38 12 2 5 24 15 6 5 8 21 31 -1 61 4th
2005-06 38 8 4 7 22 22 6 4 9 12 27 -15 50 11th
2006-07 38 11 4 4 33 17 4 9 6 19 19 +16 58 6th
2007-08 38 11 4 4 34 17 8 4 7 21 16 +22 65 5th
2008-09 38 8 6 5 31 20 9 6 4 24 17 +18 63 5th
2009-10 38 11 6 2 35 21 5 7 7 25 28 +11 61 8th

However I'd agree that they are going downhill at the moment and their current position probably reflects their current status financially. Whether it would be a good move or not for King would depend on our status at the end of the season.

Last edited:
:)

what's the most ever paid for a second flight player in England?

it's not Akinbiyi is it?

No.

Bale went to Spurs for £7m. Walcott cost Arsenal around £9m. Nugent cost £6m when he left Preston.

There are probably others, not sure if they are the biggest fees or not. But Akiknbiyi isn't.

No.

Bale went to Spurs for £7m. Walcott cost Arsenal around £9m. Nugent cost £6m when he left Preston.

There are probably others, not sure if they are the biggest fees or not. But Akiknbiyi isn't.

I found more:
Dean Ashton - £7m
Jermain Defoe - £7m
Diomansy Kamara - £6m

If you include players that moved after their club was relegated to the Championship, but left before the start of the season then the most expensive is Darren Bent at £16.5m (and big money moves for Joe Cole, Stewart Downing, Afonso Alves, Andy Johnson, Obafemi Martins, Pennant, Bassong, Crouch, Adam Johnson, Glen Johnson etc etc)

Last edited:

:046:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59