Another Relegation Battle Next Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had hoped we would keep the core of good 1st division players and build on them for a team. but building a team from nothing is not something that will produce results quickly. so i agree with you Oadby fox. One thing that is worse than a team made up of pemiure rejects is a team of 1st div rejects.

if we are lucky we will be a 1st div team for many years to come. If we aint lucky (which we never are) we will drop like a stone and if we get religated to div 2, I have no doubt all decent players that we sign will have a get-out clause allowing them to leave.
Then we can sign some 2nd div rejects. and repeat the cycle all over again

Where is the clubs ambition gone

step said:
I had hoped we would keep the core of good 1st division players and build on them for a team. but building a team from nothing is not something that will produce results quickly. so i agree with you Oadby fox. One thing that is worse than a team made up of pemiure rejects is a team of 1st div rejects.

if we are lucky we will be a 1st div team for many years to come. If we aint lucky (which we never are) we will drop like a stone and if we get religated to div 2, I have no doubt all decent players that we sign will have a get-out clause allowing them to leave.

Take some happy pills mate, because I think you need some!

You're thinking too cynical here. Clearly, you're not a fan of Adams, however, he has proved he is an excellent Lower League manager. He will ensure that we get the right type of players in order to be competitive in Division 1. There might be doubts over his Premiership credentials, but he's certainly the business from Division 1 downwards....

I am a fan of Adams. But It aint easy and it takes a long time to build a complete team from scratch and I think its risky and will at best cost us many seasons in the 1st div.

As I see it, the club has two options
1) Invest a little bit of money in the team and get promoted
2) Accept we are just a 1st div club

It appears to me that the second option is the chosen path for us
I like supporting a club that is to big for its boots.
I like a club that grinds out results on and of the pitch.
I like a club who will fight back when its back is against the wall
I like a club that never gives in.
BUT
I am getting the impression that city has developed a small club mentality with small balls that has small ambitions and a small future
and
I dont effing like it.

step said:
I am a fan of Adams. But It aint easy and it takes a long time to build a complete team from scratch and I think its risky and will at best cost us many seasons in the 1st div.

As I see it, the club has two options
1) Invest a little bit of money in the team and get promoted
2) Accept we are just a 1st div club

It appears to me that the second option is the chosen path for us
I like supporting a club that is to big for its boots.
I like a club that grinds out results on and of the pitch.
I like a club who will fight back when its back is against the wall
I like a club that never gives in.
BUT
I am getting the impression that city has developed a small club mentality with small balls that has small ambitions and a small future
and
I dont effing like it.

I can see what you're saying, but finances do dictate how a club is run.

A club may have ambition. But, that ambition cannot be fulfilled without money. We don't have much of it, and therefore it's difficult to be able to progress......

We nearly went out of business last year - I am just glad to have a football club to support. I do not want to be in a position again where the club have put themselves at risk of going out of business again simply because they're spending beyond their means to achieve an ambition....

Good point scowy, But where has all tyhe money gone. We survived the first division with a bigger wage bill and administration. since then we got promoted earning us £13 million. endid up 3rd from bottom earning us £1.5 million. We will get the £6 million relegation money.

Total of £20.5 million and we have no dept, Yet we cant invest in players. Dont you think that as we are probably one of the most financially sound clubs in the english leagues that we should have ambishions high than the 1st division.

step said:
Good point scowy, But where has all tyhe money gone. We survived the first division with a bigger wage bill and administration. since then we got promoted earning us £13 million. endid up 3rd from bottom earning us £1.5 million. We will get the £6 million relegation money.

Total of £20.5 million and we have no dept, Yet we cant invest in players. Dont you think that as we are probably one of the most financially sound clubs in the english leagues that we should have ambishions high than the 1st division.

Step, I believe we do have ambitions to be a Premiership club! Mace stated on Radio Leicester that we have perhaps the one of the best budgets in the first division, and that realistically we should be aiming for promotion based on what resources we have. I don't think we lack ambition, we're just operating within the resources we have available to us. Releasing so many players has reduced the wage bill immensley, and it gives us the opportunity to bring fresh faces in.

As I have said before, I would rather us stay in Division 1 for a few seasons and rebuild, then continue this Yo Yo trend of achieving promotion with a quick fix of experience, and then getting us relegated again and starting the same pattern. I would rather us be prepared for the future where we can become stronger for it in the long term, not the short term!

It's not true to say we don't have debt - We're still paying back our creditors, which increases if we go back in the Premiership again.

step said:

You wind me right up buster, now fair enough you have your opinions but don't you get sick and tired of being negative all the time? Surely at your age you must have realised by now that being negative gets you nowhere, if it did everyone would do it. You are one of the posters that have been mouthing off about us probably going straight down again, even before any of our players were released. Now they have been released you are saying you were hoping we would keep a core of good players for division one!!! Well fcvk me (nothing gay though) you've changed your tune, these players that have been released are too old or too crap and we need to re-build. You mouth off that we need to re-build, but then when Adams takes action you scuttle back in to your shell and piss out negativity again! Leicester can't really win in your eyes can they? What do they do then? Go on, give me your beautiful opinion once more.

WE HAVE TO RE-BUILD, PIECING TOGETHER MISFITS AGAIN IS A STOP GAP AND A SHORT TERM FIX, WHICH ISN'T EVEN GURANTEED TO WORK. WE NEED TO LAY THE FOUNDATIONS AND BUILD A UNIT STRONG ENOUGH TO PLAY TOGETHER FOR MANY YEARS. TO DO THIS, YOU HAVE TO CLEAR OUT PLAYERS THAT AREN'T CAPABLE OF TAKING THIS CLUB FORWARD. FORGET TIMESCALES, WE STILL HAVE A GREAT NUCLEUS OF PLAYERS IF THEY STAY AND ADD SEVERAL MORE AND DEVELOP THE YOUNGSTERS AND LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Sorry for the capitals, but Step was sitting on the capslock key.

Malf, let's face it, it's all over, we're going down. Oadby and Step in their infinite wisdom have seen a glimpse of the future and we are relegation fodder.

FFS lads sort it out, things are looking good. Micky has taken the decision to rebuild, clear out the dead wood, let's see who he brings in and what his game plan is. Micky wants to build his team, his way and I for one will support him.

I want MA to sign good youngish players from here and abroad that can be moulded to make a cohesive force in the Fizzy and PL.

I want him to sign players that would give their left knacker to be given the chance to play in the PL.

I want him to use his existing resources well. i.e. the Petrescus of this world.

If he does that I will get behind him, is that too much to ask. If not....
:? :? :roll:

Steven said:
I want MA to sign good youngish players from here and abroad that can be moulded to make a cohesive force in the Fizzy and PL.

I want him to sign players that would give their left knacker to be given the chance to play in the PL.

I want him to use his existing resources well. i.e. the Petrescus of this world.

If he does that I will get behind him, is that too much to ask. If not....
:? :? :roll:

Of course it can be done, many teams do it! Look at Adams CV, forget whats happened this season. He is excellent in the lower leagues, picking up players and making the team a force to be reckoned with. The two seasons he's been here have been different to what he's been used to successful at doing. The last time we were in division one we couldn't sign anyone, so the team was a team Adams hadn't pieced together and we defied all the odds and got promoted. This season just gone has been a weird one, one where many lessons will be learned. Adams has taken the correct decision to re-build the team and I think this is what he is used to and great at doing. Let's get behind him and enjoy the good times, he will piece together a young and vibrant squad unless he's a blantant liar.

MA said:
But I don't throw away experience at any stage because I don't think you can get out the First Division with a group of kids.

"We need experience in key areas, players with a bit left in them and the right mixture would be great."

Not too many old sweats though please. :wink:

We will not be in a relegation battle next season. Get ready for a roller coaster ride that ends up in Cardiff, and I aint talking Ninian Park.

Steven said:
MA said:
But I don't throw away experience at any stage because I don't think you can get out the First Division with a group of kids.

"We need experience in key areas, players with a bit left in them and the right mixture would be great."

"In Matt Elliott's case, he has proven this season that he can handle the First Division and he proved it last year with us so don't write him off."

Looks like Matty Elliott could be back in the frame for next season.....

Scowcroft said:
Steven said:
MA said:

"In Matt Elliott's case, he has proven this season that he can handle the First Division and he proved it last year with us so don't write him off."

Not the worst news i've heard. 12.46pm and your up Scarecrow? Bloody hell

Malf said:
Scowcroft said:
Steven said:
MA said:

I'm still half asleep. :wink:

Have you see Elliott play for Ipswich? He's been brilliant for them. He can do us a job in Division next season, and he can help Matt Heath along the way.

Scowcroft said:
Malf said:
Scowcroft said:
Steven said:
MA said:

I'm still half asleep. :wink:

Have you see Elliott play for Ipswich? He's been brilliant for them. He can do us a job in Division next season, and he can help Matt Heath along the way.

It is a tough call playing Elliott. As he is alledgedly on 32K per week + other bonuses I dare say, it might be better all round and to come to a settlement of say 1 million and use the money saved on another player that might be around for a longer period.

Elliott's lack of pace (even slower now than before) in the Fizzy will not be as exposed.

If the fooker won't come to a settlement then play. :wink:

Scowcroft said:
Get your quotes sorted out Stephen. :wink:

That's better.

Scowcroft said:
Get your quotes sorted out Stephen. :wink:

How many has he got? It's nearly the summer FFS, I refuse to wear one from May to September irrespective of the weather.

There's some cheerful beggars on this site, ain't there? :cry:
Micky has a plan, he says keep the faith. 8)
So all you doom and gloom merchants out there either bogoff and support the trees or sheep, or buckle up and enjoy the ride. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757