Are Soldiers worth more or less than traffic wardens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont they get some kind of tax relief too ?

The interview with the guy on the radio earlier said their only statutory outgoings were £40 a month for their personal accident insurance and £90 a year for boots (as most dont like the supplied boots)

He was clearing £1200 a month before his tax relief. My heart wasn't exactly bleeding.

Last edited:
My mate who's in the army was sent to the jungle for six weeks and then they packed them off to Cancun for a holiday !! Sounds like a nice life, apart from the chance of having to go to war of course....

The lads i know who went in to the army were all loaded when they came out, after years of having almost everything paid for whilst earning a decent enough wage they couldnt spend due to not being aorund to spend it most of the time.

The lads i know who went in to the army were all loaded when they came out, after years of having almost everything paid for whilst earning a decent enough wage they couldnt spend due to not being aorund to spend it most of the time.

Quite, I know a guy who bought a £25k car and layed down a £55k deposit on a chalet in Switzerland after 10 years service in the army.

Quite, I know a guy who bought a £25k car and layed down a £55k deposit on a chalet in Switzerland after 10 years service in the army.

Yeh I know similar situations where a lad came out of the army and walked into a showroom and brought a brand new Ford Probe (a few years ago) put a large deposit down on a house and then got a cracking job in IT with his qualifications

Suppose the other side of it is that they do put their lives on the line for their country when needed...

Suppose the other side of it is that they do put their lives on the line for their country when needed...

The only thing that I would say about that is that modern day soldiers from the UK aren't being used for the 'defence' of the UK.
Their loyalty is abused for very different purposes.

The only thing that I would say about that is that modern day soldiers from the UK aren't being used for the 'defence' of the UK.
Their loyalty is abused for very different purposes.

That there be part of the problem, they are only doing their job, just like the police, fire service etc, but get fecking slaughtered (no pun in tended) for it.

Political pawns, so to speak.

As for those that think the armed forces are well paid, sign up.

With numbers reducing daily, there is a place for you.

As for those that think the armed forces are well paid, sign up.

With numbers reducing daily, there is a place for you.

Are the vacancies possibly because now they're actually asked to do some soldiering? Should we cut the wages dramatically when they aren't, then, to make up for this sudden lack of will when they're asked to do what they signed up for?

Or at least ban all those gungho adverts that glorify army action when you should only be expected to do that for extra wedge?

The interview with the guy on the radio earlier said their only statutory outgoings were £40 a month for their personal accident insurance and £90 a year for boots (as most dont like the supplied boots)

He was clearing £1200 a month before his tax relief. My heart wasn't exactly bleeding.

but £1200 a month is **** all TBH. Even if it is after tax

Last edited:
don't they get some kind of tax relief too ?

highlandfox said:
I'd give them any kind of relief they wanted, those brave boys. All shiney and smart in their uniforms. Yes please matron.

for the love of god hf.....:018:

My personal experience is that most people joined the Armed Forces never expecting to be involved in major war fighting. The Falklands and the first Gulf War came as a real shock to many young men and women including me.

We all found out that war is a filthy bloody business that changes your world forever.

The fighting in Afghanistan is persistant war fighting the likes of which our Armed Forces have not been involved in since WWII and possibly Korea. The strain and stress this puts on incredibly young people cannot be appreciated by anyone who has not experienced sustained deadly combat. There are thousands of NATO troops in Afghanistan, but the real war fighting is being done by a few battalions of soldiers, the majority British. Its day after day of tension and fear for your life as well as the very real stress of trying to kill other human beings.

Of course they have the choice of joining or not, but once in they have no choice about fighting, dying or being maimed for life. Given their political masters take more than a squaddies annual salary in MP's expenses, I think we could pay them a little more for the risks they take and the job they do.

Try it Duzza.

Just because the skills an infantryman learns are different from those in civvy street they are no less skillful and in many cases much more dependant on quick and incisive thought.

Traffic Wardens need what skills precisely?

Are the vacancies possibly because now they're actually asked to do some soldiering? Should we cut the wages dramatically when they aren't, then, to make up for this sudden lack of will when they're asked to do what they signed up for?

Or at least ban all those gungho adverts that glorify army action when you should only be expected to do that for extra wedge?

:038:

You can get into the army without formal qualifications, you get paid and you get trained, you have a short career and get a good retirement package.

When "working" you get a lot of free time and time to work on your body and tan.

Personally think we should cut the defense budget drastically, bring the soldiers back from these foreign countries and then pay them a reasonable wage for 45 years of cleaning the streets in England or policing them if they think that's any better.

:038:

You can get into the army without formal qualifications, you get paid and you get trained, you have a short career and get a good retirement package.

When "working" you get a lot of free time and time to work on your body and tan.

Personally think we should cut the defense budget drastically, bring the soldiers back from these foreign countries and then pay them a reasonable wage for 45 years of cleaning the streets in England or policing them if they think that's any better.

22 years is what you sign up for. You missed out the bit about getting shot at, living in crappy accommodation and doing the Firemans job when he throws teddy out every couple of years because he can't have £25,000 a year.

I wonder if you would offer such advice direct to a returning soldier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669