Are the Banks Betting Your Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

From Gradel to Grave

I don't know if anyone saw the Dispatches programme on this last month but it claimed because of their involvement in American markets the following losses had been racked up.

HBOS 129 million
Lloyds TSB 177 million
Alliance and Leicester 227 million
Barclays 3.5 billion
Royal bank of Scotland 3.3 billion
HSBC 14 billion

I'm with Royal Bank of Scotland and the events of yesterday immediately triggered thoughts of the programme and of the fate of Northern Rock.

Are there any city or financial whizzkids out there who can tell me whether I need to be worried. All of my accounts are at RBoS.

You don't have to worry, the economy goes through this sort of thing as a regular cycle. It may take a few months, but the banks will come out the other side as though nothing has happened. RBS also has a lot of dealings with Lloyds TSB, who sell their products, so your money should be safe.
Just be like me and spend the banks money :icon_lol:

The worst thing you can do is panic and start withdrawing all your money.

The reason why Northern Rock was in trouble was because it didnt spread its investments. Even so there was no need for everyone to make panic withdrawals. Most small investors were more than covered.

I wonder if my overdraft will be reset to zero.

RBS also has a lot of dealings with Lloyds TSB, who sell their products, so your money should be safe.:

what?

utter garbage

and a clear yellow for specious reasoning too

if you don't know anything about banking, please shut up

Are there any city or financial whizzkids out there who can tell me whether I need to be worried. All of my accounts are at RBoS.

are banks gambling your money: yes of course, if you don't like getting interest on your savings, stick it all in the mattress

is RBoS likely to have a run on it like Northern Rock: nobody knows for sure, but the fact is that they published their losses and moved on, you don't hear profit warnings from truly ****ed companies, they just collapse. if the share price plummets or people start queueing up for money, withdraw

For once being in debt is an advantage. What happens if you have an overdraft of nearly £3000 and the bank goes bust? Do you have to pay it back immediately?

For once being in debt is an advantage. What happens if you have an overdraft of nearly £3000 and the bank goes bust? Do you have to pay it back immediately?
I ****ing hope not. I've just paid back £2500 of a £3000 overdraft!!!

that's not a bad question...what does happen to the debtors in a bankruptcy case?

did anyone owe LCFC when we went under?

Found this site and it's very helpful. Well worth a quick look. In brief the Financial Services Compensation Scheme covers the first £35,000 of money saved in bank accounts and ISAs.

The administrators claim back all debts, so in theory if another bank doesn't take them over they could demand the money in full from you. Can't see it happening though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46