Ashes - 1st test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also can't believe the amount of support Harmison has been getting in past few days - have people forgotten (again) how useless he has been for the past two years? A couple of bouncers in a friendly doesn't mean he's going to rip through the batting line-up. People should take heed of the fact that Ponting thinks he should play - I wonder why :).

England have picked the right squad given the circumstances although Ian Bell is very lucky to still be next in line as a batsman.

Harmison is an effective bowler especially in English conditions and when he is motivated to try to salvage his career/ make money.

He doesn't like the chore of long tours abroad nor getting fit for those tedious winter commitments.

In most home tests he would in my opinion command more fear in the Aussies than Onions - although the SWALEC could be an exception. I wouldn't be surprised to see him return for the Lords Test - rightly or wrongly.

Unless I am missing something, this seems to be a weak Aussie touring squad - batting should be ok, but moderate on pace bowling and non-existent re. spinners.

I doubt whether all the hype in the world is going to be able turn this into a comparable triumph to 2005 if we do win the series.

Unless I am missing something, this seems to be a weak Aussie touring squad - batting should be ok, but moderate on pace bowling and non-existent re. spinners.

I doubt whether all the hype in the world is going to be able turn this into a comparable triumph to 2005 if we do win the series.

I agree but I see us struggling on more than one occasion to get 20 wickets with Hughes, Ponting, Clarke and Hussey all very strong batsmen. Also Mitch Johnson batting at 8 is very dangerous.

As for the bowling much depends on whether Johnson is the real deal or not (he's only got 2 5 wicket hauls from 20 tests) and whether Clark and Lee get fit and perform like in the 'old days'.

On paper it looks the worst Aussie side for over 20 years. That said i think it will still be very difficult for England.

If Cardiff is the spinners pitch that it is supposed to be then we should stand a good chance of taking an early lead in the series, as long as Swann and Monty play to their potential.

I think it will be a very close series, I always get worried when people start to under estimate the Aussies!!

they'll win the series 3-1 I'm sad to predict

Presumably largely on the basis of their series win in S Africa, Australia remain just about odds on favourites to win the series.

However, I don't have the sense that they have a balanced squad/ team.

They certainly are weaker that in 2005 and they narrowly & somewhat unluckily lost then so this will be a fascinating test of the strength of the current England set-up.

the forecast is good for the first 3 days maybe set to lose some time at the weekend

the forecast is good for the first 3 days maybe set to lose some time at the weekend
7/4 for the draw in the first test. I'm on it so steer well clear

England win toss and bat. England playing 2 spinners in Swann and Monte. Onions left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566