Bad away dayz in the 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The long trip bus ride to Madrid for the UEFA tie with Athletico.

Lots of laughs, madness and excess on Coach 13 all the way there (28 hours?) but getting locked in a compound by the Spanish Police for hours in blazing sun as we were finally approaching the City with no food and the beer all gone.

Got interviewed about the fiasco the same day by a TV crew, I was ranting about the treatment we'd received only to remember soon after I hadn't taken any holiday from work. It was shown on ITV the next day with us still on the long way home to the surprise of my work colleagues.

Sussed, broke, hungover and defeated.

One in the early 90s - 1991 I think against Ipswich when there was plenty of aggro before during and after the game some City fans were dressed as nuns in the Ipswich end and we lost 3-2 to boot and it looked afterwards as though we were going down to division 3 for the first time

Millwall at the Old Den....feck me, I thought it was all over...

i travelled with the 'rugby' leicester supporters branch,a mate of mine got coined just above his eye.

is it the cup tie your refering to,when ramsey and i think it was walshie who got sent off,late in the game.and they scored 2 late goals.

i also remember from the same game that a leicester fan,kept putting the teletext on,not realising it was 20 minutes behind.went out to get drunk thinking leicester were through only to find out from a mate they were out,it was in a leicester fanzine.

poor soul!

One in the early 90s - 1991 I think against Ipswich when there was plenty of aggro before during and after the game some City fans were dressed as nuns in the Ipswich end and we lost 3-2 to boot and it looked afterwards as though we were going down to division 3 for the first time

are you sure it was nuns,ithought they were hari krishnas

Had a terrible day trip to LLandudno once,was travel sick on the coach and when we got there it rained all day

TRANMERE.............BLOODY TRANMERE

About 1994 ? 1st away match of the season.

Went up to with 2 workmates. Arrived in the area of Prenton around mid-day. Straight to the pub where we had a few beers and a good laugh with the locals. So far so good and at about 2.30 we left for the ground. On the way my 2 mates Chris & Clive both disappeared down an alley for a piss, not surprisingly seeing they had drank about 2-3 pints more than me.
Arriving on some open land outside the ground i dipped into my pocket to pay at the turnstile. When i looked around to talk to the others they were both being arrested and put in the back of the van. This was my lift home ffs!!!!! so i immediately started arguing with a nearby copper on why they had been nicked. In a gruff scouse accent he put his hand on my head and said ' get inside the ground lad because you are getting on my nerves ' . One more word from me and i'd have been joining my mates.
The game was a blur ( lost 1-0 ). My concern was how to get home.
On the day i thought i'd took enough money with me. After buying rounds in the pub, giving the driver some petrol money, and paying at the turnstile i had about £18 left.
On normal away days i would always see plenty of people that could have helped me out to get back home. For some strange reason i only saw one person that i knew. His car was full so he offered to lend me a tenner, which i gratefully accepted thinking that with £28 i could get the train home.
So the journey started. Luckily i have decent knowledge of where places are so i realized my best bet home was to get to Liverpool lime street. From Prenton Park i walked about 2 miles upto Birkenhead before arriving at the underground network that serves Liverpool. I payed £1 to take the trip under the Mersey to Lime Street. At the ticket office i asked for a train back to Leicester of which the attendant said ' that will be £28 '. I had £27 left.
Surely this wasnt right so i asked ' no i only want a one way ticket not a return '............' no sir its the same price' he replied. I never did understand that.
At this point, being in a totally alien place i felt like sitting on the floor with a homeless tag around my neck to raise the extra pound needed. The miserable git wouldnt let me off so i had to pay £18 to get back to Nuneaton. At least i would be closer to home.
On the first part of the trip home i sat quiet as a mouse, as i was in carriage completely full of Sheff U fans who had just been to Everton. Arriving at Nuneaton good old dad saved the day for the rest of the trip home.
To conclude, the lads i believed were arrested because someone radioed onto the ground about them having a piss in a public place.
In the back of the van they suffered terrible intimidation by the police. Chris was constantly goaded by a copper who kept flicking Chris's nose.
They pleaded not guilty to the charge and were found not guilty and awarded £20 costs. £20 ffs!!!! . The police ruined everyones day and it cost the lads 2 trips upto merseyside (petrol, and the loss of earnings because we were on piece work).
A little while later i read a fanzine article which was headlined ' Tranmere terrors '. This was referring to a game about a Friday night Tranmere/ Leicester match. It was full of comments referring to the heavy handed policing by the Birkenhead force.
So anyone visiting Tranmere, unless the police have changed their attitude you have been warned.

Last edited:

Surely one of the best away games I have been to. Although we lost I had a great time with mates. Was the first away game I went to without my dad and I thought the Krishna's were hilarious. I remember a bloke runnning from the seated section and knocking off a coppers helmet. The mad bastard then proceeded to jump off the executive boxes, down the rest of the stand and on to the pitch, where he then proceeeded to motion the standing fans to join him. Cue absoloute pandamonium and the coppers shut the gate to stop a pitch invasion.

I nearly started rioting at the age of six at Goodinson Park when Speedie had umpteen goals disallowed for offside. Two little scousers were taking the piss on the walk back to the bus. Everton still had won at that point of the season either....we were above them after the superb win against Spurs.

I nearly started rioting at the age of six at Goodinson Park when Speedie had umpteen goals disallowed for offside. Two little scousers were taking the piss on the walk back to the bus. Everton still had won at that point of the season either....we were above them after the superb win against Spurs.

I'm sure Speedie never played for us in the Premier League.

I'm sure Speedie never played for us in the Premier League.

You're probably correct. I thought the game was in February but it was September, having a look in the big book of Leicester knowledge I have.

Soccerbase doesn't have the squad info from the game. So all I know is that Draper scored for us. And that Speedie didn't play for us in the PL.

You're probably correct. I thought the game was in February but it was September, having a look in the big book of Leicester knowledge I have.

Soccerbase doesn't have the squad info from the game. So all I know is that Draper scored for us. And that Speedie didn't play for us in the PL.

It was Draper I'm sure as Speedie's last game for City was the play-off semi win at Filbert Street the previous season when all hell let loose at the end of the game with Tranmere and their goalie was sent off for wacking someone possibly Speedie

It was Draper I'm sure as Speedie's last game for City was the play-off semi win at Filbert Street the previous season when all hell let loose at the end of the game with Tranmere and their goalie was sent off for wacking someone possibly Speedie

You forgot to mention that Speedie was also sent off in the same incident for whacking somebody, possibly their keeper.

Well he had just made sure we won the game, even though the last touch came from the Tranmere player, I think we can forgive him
Anyway enjoy this and by the look of it it wasn't Speedie the goalie whacked he was probably pi$$ed he missed the cross for the winning goal
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXKYXj2Z6Q[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Nor does it show that Speedie got sent off.

Wasn't Nixon sent off for punching Larry?

And wasn't Speedie sent off for kicking out at Nixon?

Edit. No, it was the defender Speedie kicked. Oops!

Am I correct in saying this was the last game standing was allowed on the kop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263