Barnsley 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Brown and Hobbs were rock solid at the back. Neilson did ok - he reminds me of a mix between Alan Maybury and Ali Mauchlen - reliable and aggressive in the tackle but could be undone by a crafty winger. Berner had a poor game.

Wellens and Oakley generally bossed the midfield, although we struggled in the second half when they ran at us ( Campbell-Ryce, in particular).

Fryatt took his goal well. N'Guessen's shot was terrific. From a distance, he looks like a young Emile Heskey! Dyer did quite well - mazy run in the first half that should have ended in a goal.

Gallagher did well for someone who joined us only yesterday. Good shot that was well saved by their keeper.

I don't think we were lucky - after the goal, we had a couple of good chances. If they had gone in, I think that we would have won easily. I put Barnsley alongside the likes of Blackpool, Ipswich (Isn't Roy Keane doing a great job! Watch him depart before Christmas), Derby, Plymouth, Scunthorpe, Swansea etc. In order words, we are already a top ten team at least.

We missed Howard up front. We need an alternative when he is injured - new signing please before the deadline is required. We didn't really pose a threat from the numerous corners we had.

As for Hume, the miss was funny, but had he scored it wouldn't have counted as the linesman was already flagging for offside. He's in the same league of players, like De Vries, Hughes, Tiatto.. Can't believe we got £ 1.2m for him. His level is League One.

I thought that Mrs Weller's speech was touching. I am old enough to remember the game against Luton. He is a true Leicester legend!

I thought that at times we were brilliant, but at the end we looked quite fragile. If they had decent strikers we would have been beaten.

Their midfield seemed to win a lot of the battles, their number 14 played especially well.

I thought Galagher was very skillful and will turn out to be a good signing, but I thought Fryatt showed great confidence and touch when he took his goal.

Yes, I forgot about their balding Number 14. He did well. The other guy who impressed me was their Brazilian - De Silva (15).

Not seen anything from Neilson to suggest he's a great signing, made another stupid mistake today but being fair to him he recovered. Hopefully he'll find his feet and turn out alright.

Really? I thgiught Neilson was Man of the Match today, he was solid at the back, stopped everything, and looked decent going forward too.

I thought we were poor for large parts of the game but then the mark of a good side is that they win when playing badly.
Our strength is our defence. We have only let in two goals in six serious matches (if you count Real and Macclesfield)
Although Dany and Wellens showed some good touches the midfield generally lost possession needlessly. I thought Oakley had one of his poorer games.
Fryatt still does not look fully fit although he took his goal well.
I thought Gallagher looked out of position - he did his best work when he was on the wing. He was clearly not match fit. Gallagher may be six foot but he is a frail six foot and at times looked like Darren Moore's breakfast.
Brown did OK but was strapped and towards the end was feeling the pace. I am disappointed that Tunchev has yet to play.
I was not impressed with Paul Dickov who came on for the last few minutes and seemed to be trying to get himself sent off.
On the opposing side I always enjoy watching Darren Moore; perhaps the only player who makes Wayne Brown look like a wimp. Older fans may understand if I compare Darren Moore to the late Sonny Liston.

Yes, I forgot about their balding Number 14. He did well. The other guy who impressed me was their Brazilian - De Silva (15).

Both of them were 6ft donkeys who we gave time and possession of the ball to make them good. When we had the ball and knocked it about, them pair were useless. Barnsley had one quality player and he come in the final few minutes with the lad Hamill, other than that they were shite.

I was very disappointed with the performance considering how well we played on Tuesday. We looked a bit jaded and a bit disjointed. Once the midfield got their arses into gear, we started playing but even then they forgot the defensive side of the game in the final twenty minutes.

Weale looked shaky for once but got his confidence back with some catches. Neilson's best performance so far but still caught out a couple of times. Berner, up and down but works hard and slowly becoming a cult hero. Brown and Hobbs did well but passing needs to improve.

Oakley and Wellens got their arses into gear for a period and rightly whacked it about like they should. The goal was all Wellens really...he has to be one of the best players in the division. Dyer and N'Guessan both up and down in performance, one minute magic, one minute lazy tosh.

Fryatt still injured IMO, misses another sitter but sorts himself out with a goal. Gallacher looks a bit too intelligent for our players and absolute shagged at the end.

I can't understand why Adams didn't start....

Berner had a poor game.

When? Certainly not since he joined City.

Wellens and Oakley generally bossed the midfield, although we struggled in the second half when they ran at us ( Campbell-Ryce, in particular).

Fryatt took his goal well. N'Guessen's shot was terrific. From a distance, he looks like a young Emile Heskey! Dyer did quite well - mazy run in the first half that should have ended in a goal.

Gallagher did well for someone who joined us only yesterday. Good shot that was well saved by their keeper.

Agree with all this, except the N'Guessan/Heskey comparison. Although he does seem to win some dodgy free-kicks.

I put Barnsley alongside the likes of Blackpool, Ipswich (Isn't Roy Keane doing a great job! Watch him depart before Christmas), Derby, Plymouth, Scunthorpe, Swansea etc. In order words, we are already a top ten team at least.

After four games you're saying we're a top ten team at least? Agree on Roy 'Quitter' Keane. But what about Derby and Swansea tells you they're relegation material? Or are you saying Blackpool, Plymouth and Scunny are destined for a good season? Not sure what your point is...

As for Hume... He's in the same league of players, like De Vries, Hughes, Tiatto.

No, when Hume wore a blue shirt, he tried. De Vries and Hughes plainly did not.

Really? I thgiught Neilson was Man of the Match today, he was solid at the back, stopped everything, and looked decent going forward too.

:102: I'm not convinced he can defend. Nearly gifted JCR a goal in the first half. And it was his fault, not Weale's.

Our strength is our defence. We have only let in two goals in six serious matches (if you count Real and Macclesfield)

By what measure are a pre-season friendly and a Carling Cup game 'serious' matches?

I thought Oakley had one of his poorer games.

The problem wasn't the midfield, it was the finishing.

I was not impressed with Paul Dickov who came on for the last few minutes and seemed to be trying to get himself sent off.

That's what Dickov always does.

On the opposing side I always enjoy watching Darren Moore; perhaps the only player who makes Wayne Brown look like a wimp. Older fans may understand if I compare Darren Moore to the late Sonny Liston.

Absolute monster of a man, always looks like he's on his way to kill someone with his bare hands.

If they had a striker they'd have scored a couple today. We were pegged back with 15 to go.

If they had anyone who could cross a ball. We'd have been in shit street. Hume and Foster both missed sitters.

So basically, if they'd had a better team we'd have been in trouble? Surely they were lucky then? If we'd had a better team they would have lost by a lot more goals?

That's what Dickov always does.

Towards the end of the game I thought Barnsley came into it a bit more and were pressing and at 1-0 a lucky goal etc would have cost us. I'm sure Dickov was just sent on to disrupt their momentum.

Last edited:
Towards the end of the game I thought Barnsley came into it a bit more and were pressing and at 1-0 a lucky goal etc would have cost us.

I remember thinking, when we were 1-0 up, that if they were to score twice we'd probably have lost.

At times there was a huge gap in the midfield on Sat but overall i though we were always the team likely to take the points.

What a fantastic save by Chris Weale to deny them an underserved equaliser, the resulting miss from Hume was hilarious as well.

Gallagher looked confident on the ball but its very early days, he had a few nice touches.

I would have won £35 if it was 2-0 so i wasnt happy to see N'Guessens shot trim the cross bar :(

the resulting miss from Hume was hilarious as well.

Nice to see somethings don't change.

They way he missed so many vital goals was one of the main reasons I was glad to see the back of him.

I thought that at times we were brilliant, but at the end we looked quite fragile. If they had decent strikers we would have been beaten.

Their midfield seemed to win a lot of the battles, their number 14 played especially well.

I thought Galagher was very skillful and will turn out to be a good signing, but I thought Fryatt showed great confidence and touch when he took his goal.

id agree with that, we had enough good chances to win by 3 clear goals but were hanging on in the end, thought their no14 was their motm and gallagher looked quite good but short of fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669