Been sacked....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie_d123

Anyone know my rights as an employee? as iv been at a job were i was on a 3 month trial this trial elapsed and i was kept on but now 4 weeks later because i asked for the pay rise i was promised after 3 months they've let me go. Do i have any rights? I never got a contract to sign so i dont know if that matters. Also worth pointing out i had a few days off sick which there using as there reason. I cant help being ill can i. Anything i can or should do?

Thanks in advance.

Though you have not signed a contract, you have one. A letter of appointment would form the basis of it, but its terms are probably implied rather than explicit. (ie embodied in standard company procedures or legal minimum entitlements.

Under that you are entitled to notice - at least a week, possibly more. You are entitled to ask to see the terms of your contract.

As you've not been there long, that's about it - if you were in a union they might be able to do something, but your legal rights are minimal, unless you have grounds to claim discrimination (sex, age, race, disability).

My understanding of the way temporary staff are handled here does not bode well. Basically, until they've been employed 12 months they have no right to continued employment and can be cut loose without reason.
I would agree that you should seek some free professional advice but suspect you will have no joy. Best to move on.

My understanding of the way temporary staff are handled here does not bode well. Basically, until they've been employed 12 months they have no right to continued employment and can be cut loose without reason.
I would agree that you should seek some free professional advice but suspect you will have no joy. Best to move on.

that was my understanding too.

Thanks everyone for your replys:) Ive e-mailed acas and will await there response, Ill let everyone know what happens so anyone in the same boat will know.

When you say your 3 month trial elapsed and you were kept on, do you mean you probationary period ended and you were made full time? In which case, in my experience, unless they have proof of gross misconduct they are required to pay you off for any notice you would have been required to give had you quit. I don't know how it realistically will work without a contract, but that has been my experience, though admittedly that was when I quit and they though I would take down their systems if they allowed me to carry on working there!

Smearing dog shit on the car door handles of your ex-employers is a very satisfying past-time.

Supergluing the locks and writing rude words on the paintworks using paint-stripper comes a close second.

:icon_biggI know where th company owner lives, i Know where the manager lives and i know where the floor manager lives:icon_bigg

When you say your 3 month trial elapsed and you were kept on, do you mean you probationary period ended and you were made full time? In which case, in my experience, unless they have proof of gross misconduct they are required to pay you off for any notice you would have been required to give had you quit. I don't know how it realistically will work without a contract, but that has been my experience, though admittedly that was when I quit and they though I would take down their systems if they allowed me to carry on working there!

Well yes and no..i think. My 3 month trial/probation period ended yes, but they never officially made me full time/permanent. As soon as my trial ended i asked for my proper wage and a contract but they kept fobbing me off, they never complained about my work either. To me it seems they got rid as they didn't want to give me my wage rise/contract and there fore my proper rights as an employee. Its worth adding theres another lad who started just before me and as had loads of time off, but because he won't ask for his wage rise that he SHOULD get, there keeping him.

Smearing dog shit on the car door handles of your ex-employers is a very satisfying past-time.

Supergluing the locks and writing rude words on the paintworks using paint-stripper comes a close second.

A bit like...

cookpass.jpg

You had a contract as soon as you agreed to work for them for money. You should have had a written contract within two months of the start of your employment.

Unless you have reason to believe that they have sacked you because of certain types of discrimination, you have no recourse to any action for unfair dismissal.

You are entitled to one weeks notice or pay in lieu of notice - longer if so contracted. ACAS will tell you how to get that.

Sorry to hear about your situation but they are clearly not good employers to have treated you like this. You have had a lucky escape - try to take some consolation from that.

Call you previous employer and tell them you are in consultation with ACAS, they could shit themelves and offer you severence terms. Ive seen it happen.

Sadly as a temp you are constantly on thin ice, and you are very much treated like an ' here today gone tomorrow ' person.

Anyone know my rights as an employee? as iv been at a job were i was on a 3 month trial this trial elapsed and i was kept on but now 4 weeks later because i asked for the pay rise i was promised after 3 months they've let me go. Do i have any rights? I never got a contract to sign so i dont know if that matters. Also worth pointing out i had a few days off sick which there using as there reason. I cant help being ill can i. Anything i can or should do?

Thanks in advance.

how many days off sick?

I haven't had a day off ill since 1998 (and that was for suspected apendixitis).

Unless someone is confined to a hospital ward or a morgue being off ill is a bit limp really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566