Benning leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicsfoxes1

From the official site:

Leicestershire CCC have today announced that all-rounder James Benning will leave Grace Road at the end of the 2010 season.

The 27-year-old, who joined the club on loan from Surrey in 2009, suffered a back problem early in the 2010 season that ruled him out of the first two months of the campaign.

That injury meant that Benning was forced to have an operation and miss almost half of the LV=County Championship fixtures, which got life at his new club off to a tough start.

Benning's one appearance in the four-day arena this term came during the excellent seven-wicket win against Worcestershire at New Road.

In that game, Benning made scores of 29 and 26 not out and also took three wickets, but competition for the all-rounder's position has been fierce in 2010.

His highest Championship score of 72 for Leicestershire was at Northamptonshire during his loan spell while his best bowling performance also came in 2009; 3-43 against Glamorgan at Grace Road.

Benning has contributed well to the Foxes one-day campaign, scoring 166 List A runs at an average of 27.66 and picking up seven wickets at 22.42.

His best score this year was 46 against Warwickshire and he has also picked up two wickets on three occasions, the most recent of those coming hauls coming against Kent on Monday.

Benning also scored 192 Friends Provident t20 runs at a strike rate of 104.32 and an average of 21.44 with a best score of 45 helping to set up a win against Lancashire Lightning at Old Trafford.

Benning also picked up five t20 wickets and Leicestershire CCC would like to wish James all the very best for the future.

Good cricketer, never really seemed to get the look in his talent deserves although I doubt if he ever got himself 100% fit.

I fear the worst for LCCC to be honest.

Don't see how the English game can continue with so many counties (and so many of them struggling).

That's a debate for another thread though.

I don't think he's fully recovered from that back injury.

He's going to need a bit of luck to find another county........... still there's always Derbyshire (who picked up an astonishing Championship win today - well inside 2 days after scoring only 44 in their first innings. That may be some kind of record.

Dagnall was commenting on the amount o result pitches that seem to have surfaced for these last few championship matches.....

I would to say a big thankyou to David Smith for handling the Jimmy Allenby contract negotiations so well and replacing him with a player who was just as good. :bang:

Seriously, Benning's back injury hasn't helped and he has barely been given a chance at first class level. Now if his name was Wayne White.....

Surely he could have been given more chance in the championship to earn a new contract - he's done OK recently in the one-dayers.

Dagnall was commenting on the amount o result pitches that seem to have surfaced for these last few championship matches.....

I've noticed that this tends to happen at the end of seasons. It feels like the pitch inspectors take a softer position at this stage.....and its coincided with what you might have expected to be better batting conditions than of late.

Wayne White is the golden boy for some reason.

Not worth picking on his batting alone or his bowling alone.

Bit-part player.

That said, LCCC are a bit-part team these days.

A far cry from some of the all-rounders we have had at the club.

Wayne White is the golden boy for some reason.

Not worth picking on his batting alone or his bowling alone.

Bit-part player.

That said, LCCC are a bit-part team these days.

A far cry from some of the all-rounders we have had at the club.

Spot on. All-rounders are players that could justify their place for one of the two disciplines alone.

White is a bits and pieces player and it is remarkable how he has been given so many games this season.

Spot on. All-rounders are players that could justify their place for one of the two disciplines alone.

White is a bits and pieces player and it is remarkable how he has been given so many games this season.

I agree with everything that's been said but to play devil's advocate he's probably been given an extended run due to his great start to the season, a 90 odd and a century (not many of our batsmen succeeded in that!) plus bowling fast and taking a few wickets. But since his injury his contribution has been zero.

I agree with everything that's been said but to play devil's advocate he's probably been given an extended run due to his great start to the season, a 90 odd and a century (not many of our batsmen succeeded in that!) plus bowling fast and taking a few wickets. But since his injury his contribution has been zero.

Yes - and obviously with McDonald gone, there was a big gap for an all rounder.

I don't think I've heard anyone say a good word about him, but for a while now he's been one of the golden boys at the club so someone up there must like him.

I say all this, but I captain, open the batting and keep wicket and having played probably 15 games this season, I've hardly excelled myself in any of these disciplines yet remained completely unthreatened. I suppose if your face fits...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669