Best and worst opening games

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

Five Live are doing a text-in thing on people's best and worst memories of opening games

Mine

Best.....3-1 v Everton, 1985, beating the reigning champions in Gary's first match since leaving us for them

Worst....0-5 v Bolton, 2003 relegation season :mad:

Savage was on the radio and gave the Bolton one as his worst as well, and his favourite was the 2-2 draw v Man U in which we'd been 2-0 up until late

Was at that Everton game. Funny moment when the teams walked out, and the crowd at full blast chanting ' Gary Lineker what a w&n*er, what a w&n*er '
In jest of course:icon_bigg

I was at the Everton game too. What goals by Bright - the audacious chips over the best keeper in the league at the time (Southall). I remember hearing chants of ' what a waste of money' durected towards Gaz Lineker. A pity that Bright failed to live up to this early promise. I have a feeling that Paul Groves also made his debut in this game.

Worst gaem - we lost 1-0 at home to Shrewsbury in the 1980s and Walsh was sent off for breaking David Geddis' jaw!

Five Live are doing a text-in thing on people's best and worst memories of opening games

Mine

Best.....3-1 v Everton, 1985, beating the reigning champions in Gary's first match since leaving us for them

Worst....0-5 v Bolton, 2003 relegation season :mad:

Savage was on the radio and gave the Bolton one as his worst as well, and his favourite was the 2-2 draw v Man U in which we'd been 2-0 up until late

Was Bolton not 2001?

It was indeed. A horrible, chilling day, burnt savagely into my memory

That was only my second season as a fox cub. I think I blubbed more at the Bolton result than the Wycombe one the season before.

Was Bolton not 2001?

:icon_redf

Of course it was sorry, T**lor was in charge.

2003 wasn't great, a sign of things to come for the rest of the season as we lost a 2 goal lead against Southampton in the last 15 minutes. I remember I was in Rome and my brother was texting me the scores.

I was listening to that Bolton game on the radio in the states and before half time I'd thrown my office chair into my kitchen sink.

I'm a fairly meek (not to mention wimpy) bloke so such an outburst is a measure of how incredibly awful that game was.

It was coupled with the away fixture that year when we drew 2-2 with them at the reebok, they were playing with nine men for 70 minutes. Awful stuff.

2003 wasn't great, a sign of things to come for the rest of the season as we lost a 2 goal lead against Southampton in the last 15 minutes.

That bleeding Kevin Phillips wasn't it?

Worst....0-5 v Bolton, 2003 (sic) relegation season :mad:
I'd go with these two as well.

The Bolton game was very distressing. It's never good news when the fans are screaming for the manager to be sacked before half time in the first game of the season. Peter Taylor - what a cock!

As for the Everton game, I was only a nipper (12) but I remember it well. I was directly in line with Brighty's super chip so had a great view of it.

Bolton deffo the worst although i remember losing to Notts County 4-0 at home in the early 80's which was pretty dire.

The best is more difficult the Everton game would be up there along with the 2-1 win away at Sunderland early 90's or the Man U away 2-2 draw

I remember listening to that 2-2 draw with Manchester United. 2-0 up through Cottee and Heskey but Beckham scored with a last minute free-kick.

Paul Groves didn't join us until 1988. Ally Mauchlen may have made his debut

Not him either. His first outing was when he came on as sub at Oxford.

Russell Osman would have been the debutant and Rob Kelly played his second game for City that day (his first having been the last game of not the previous season but the one before that)

Last edited:
Best: 3-1 win at Forest in 1913 :icon_wink

Worst: 4-3 defeat at Grimsby in 1894. I cried all the way home :icon_sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675