Best City 11: Midfielders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newton Lewis Marshall Bori

Weller-Lennon-Izzet-Glover

Weller is the obvious choice. I really cannot beat Blaarev's choice although I would put a word in for Birchenall who was a very effective midfielder in the top flight; IMO even better there than as a striker. One reservation when I arrived in Leicester Davie Gibson was past his best but people held him in great regard.

Weller-Lennon-Izzet-Glover

It depends how serious we're being about this. Although this midfield contains four excellent players, it isn't a great midfield. Lennon and Izzet hardly ever played as a central pair, mainly because Izzet was too lightweight. I think this midfield would hardly ever see the ball against a half decent opposition and poor old Lennon would be chasing about on his own.

If you want to play two wingers, you can't put Izzet in there. Someone like Paul Ramsey would fit better.

It depends how serious we're being about this. Although this midfield contains four excellent players, it isn't a great midfield. Lennon and Izzet hardly ever played as a central pair, mainly because Izzet was too lightweight. I think this midfield would hardly ever see the ball against a half decent opposition and poor old Lennon would be chasing about on his own.

If you want to play two wingers, you can't put Izzet in there. Someone like Paul Ramsey would fit better.
Very true since one of them is no longer among us unfortuneately :-( And Glover has been more in a prison wing than on the left wing in this millenium.

And that indicates how serious I'm about this. I'm just picking my favorite players.

Weller, McLintock (played midfield for Leicester before converting to more defensive role with Arsenal), D.Gibson, Glover

As a 'reserve' Colin Appleton - left sided midfielder who would be an asset in any team.

P.S neither Gibson nor Glover are really 'midfielders' Gibson was an oldfashioned 'inside -left' and Glover was an all out winger.

Savage, Lennon, Izzet, Guppy

Too young to really remember anything from the pre-MON days... Don't think there is anyone since who gets close.

Someone will probably tell me that they didn't really play as a midfield 4 much, and I do mainly remember them in a 3-5-2, but those are the 4 that stand out for me.

No real mentions for Gary Mac who was an incredibly talented player in a pretty poor team by the time he left...

Also if you want a winger what about Steve Lynex?

Very true since one of them is no longer among us unfortuneately :-( And Glover has been more in a prison wing than on the left wing in this millenium.

And that indicates how serious I'm about this. I'm just picking my favorite players.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

You can't go far wrong with the very first post, and they all performed in the top flight

Gary Mac was probably a better player than Izzet or Lennon.

while Draper was superb he was only with us for one year.

Weller is an obvious and correct choice.

Garry Parker was very very good indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670