Best ever player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank W. Steve Walsh was a major plus to this Club as a player but certainly not our best player ever. :icon_wink

it shows the type of people they question on this sort of subject, juniors at PFA? i would not say that walsh was the best player i have seen during my time of supporting city. further down the list is alan shearer for newcastle, i know for a fact if they asked anyone over 10 years old they would say Milburn tops him for a start. i'm sure the average forest fan would say someone other than stuart pearce, or at least i would hope so. well done to all that won, out of a poll mostly answered by feckin teens

Last edited:
I think Shrewsbury may have picked our best ever. :icon_excl:045:

Stan Bowles named at 2 clubs

on my reckoning apart from Washie there are 4 other players on the list that played in a city shirt

Certainly not the best player, but as i watched an old video of 101 city goals last night, i couldnt help but notice the number of real quality goals scored by Julian Joachim. From is F.A.Cup goal at Barnsley to some real crackers in the league. In his early days with us he had great pace and could strike a decent ball. Shame he is not just starting out with us again.

Quite properly two clubs, Stoke and Blackpool, choose Stanley Matthews. George Best was perhaps more naturally gifted but he was only at the top for a short period. Matthews was the best player in the country for sixteen years 1937-1953. At the age of 50 he was still playing in the equivalent of the Championship. We will never know how good Duncan Edwards might have become. Suffice to say that at 20 he was the best player in a great Manchester United team when his contemporary Bobby Charlton was still trying to establish himself in the side.

Certainly not the best player, but as i watched an old video of 101 city goals last night, i couldnt help but notice the number of real quality goals scored by Julian Joachim. From is F.A.Cup goal at Barnsley to some real crackers in the league. In his early days with us he had great pace and could strike a decent ball. Shame he is not just starting out with us again.

Maybe we should start a new thread of best Julian Joachim goals. For me it has to be V Pompy when we played that one home match at the City ground.

A mischievous answer to the best player to ever play for Leicester is Billy Wright who played for the city as a temporary player in the war years. Shame on Wolves for picking a merely good striker in Steve Bull over Wright who was arguably England's greatest defender; only Bobby Moore stands comparison. A serious answer would be a choice between Shilton, Banks and Lineker. I would choose Banks because he changed the art of goalkeeping. Before Banks goalkeepers like Hopkinson and Springett were great shot stoppers but nothing more. (It is difficult to imagine Hopkinson letting in an easy shot like Scott Carson did). The most exciting Leicester player I have seen was Keith Weller. Jimmy Bloomfield bought Alan Birchenall and Keith Weller on the same day; I hope Ollie will buy as wisely.

Maybe we should start a new thread of best Julian Joachim goals. For me it has to be V Pompy when we played that one home match at the City ground.

That actually wasnt on the video, but it was a great goal. Imo though the Barnsley one was better.

A mischievous answer to the best player to ever play for Leicester is Billy Wright who played for the city as a temporary player in the war years. Shame on Wolves for picking a merely good striker in Steve Bull over Wright who was arguably England's greatest defender; only Bobby Moore stands comparison. A serious answer would be a choice between Shilton, Banks and Lineker. I would choose Banks because he changed the art of goalkeeping. Before Banks goalkeepers like Hopkinson and Springett were great shot stoppers but nothing more. (It is difficult to imagine Hopkinson letting in an easy shot like Scott Carson did). The most exciting Leicester player I have seen was Keith Weller. Jimmy Bloomfield bought Alan Birchenall and Keith Weller on the same day; I hope Ollie will buy as wisely.

:038: with you 100%

Incidentally, I see Lincoln can't even remember Andy Graver's name correctly.
He started the trend for LCFC embarrassing moments - coming here for a record fee & going back shortly afterwards for a mere fraction. Made Bill Nicholson's name as a shrewd manager.

I think he bought Jon Sammels on the same day (or very nearly) as well. All three from London clubs, and all three for £100K. They all did well, but Weller was the real bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566