Bigots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FryattFox

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been caught on microphone describing a voter he had just spoken to in Rochdale as a "bigoted woman".

Sixty-five-year-old Gillian Duffy had challenged Mr Brown on a number of issues including immigration and crime.

As he got into his car, he was still wearing a broadcast microphone and was heard to say "that was a disaster".

Mr Brown later phoned Mrs Duffy to apologise after the tape was played to him during a BBC Radio 2 interview.

After listening to the recording, with his forehead resting on his hand, he said: "I do apologise if I've said anything that has been hurtful."

The comments were made after the conversation with Mrs Duffy which ended with him complimenting her and her family.

Off camera, but not realising he still had a Sky News microphone pinned to his shirt, he was heard to tell an aide: "That was a disaster - they should never have put me with that woman. Whose idea was that? It's just ridiculous..."

Asked what she had said, he is heard to reply: "Ugh everything! She's just a sort of bigoted woman that said she used to be Labour. I mean it's just ridiculous. I don't know why Sue brought her up towards me."

Mrs Duffy, a widow, said after hearing of Mr Brown's comments: "I'm very upset. He's an educated person. Why has he come out with words like that?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8649012.stm

How many "bigots" are going to vote for Brown now? :102:

Surely this will leave a massive dent in Labour's hopes.

How many "bigots" are going to vote for Brown now? :102:

Surely this will leave a massive dent in Labour's hopes.

What's wrong with politicians calling a spade a spade? They're always getting criticised for not telling the truth and when they do, as in this case, the media piles in.

I hope Sky are proud of themselves for publishing a private conversation; I'm sure the woman is more than happy with her five minutes of fame.

She wasn't even bigoted ffs The way Brown talked about her made her sound like a BNP type which couldn't be further from the truth she is just worried about the number of immigrants coming into this country, amongst other concerns she has, and this issue is effecting many people in our society

Last edited:
She wasn't even bigoted ffs

You probably need to check up on the definition of bigot. She was just like the bloke who got in Cameron's face yesterday on the subject of Special Education; wouldn't listen and thought that nobody has a right to a contrary opinion. Politicians of all colours should not have to put up with them.

Last edited:
mmm - a non-Tory politician tells the (not so controversial) truth in private and his remarks are released to the public by good old Rupert Murdoch and his army of cronies

Big surprise there.....

Last edited:
What's wrong with politicians calling a spade a spade? They're always getting criticised for not telling the truth and when they do, as in this case, the media piles in.

I hope Sky are proud of themselves for publishing a private conversation; I'm sure the woman is more than happy with her five minutes of fame.

Although I agree greater transparency is needed, I think it's taking it a bit far saying "Lovely to meet you, etc." and then getting in the car and calling it a "nightmare" and the lady a "bigot".

Unfortunately the government isn't really an industry for the hard truth due to it's very nature.

Brown seemed to be upset that his own private thoughts were made public.

What he thinks and what he wants us to think he thinks are obviously different.
Typical MP person.

He could do worse...

_47738453_009188630-1.jpg

I'm sure that if any of us were wearing a radio mic ( and then forgotten, like Brown, it was still live ) we could all be guilty of making remarks that we would regret if they were made public. I would form an educated guess that Messrs Clegg and Cameron have made similar utterances in private ( if they haven't, they are superhuman beings and I tip my hat to them).

I'm sure that if any of us were wearing a radio mic ( and then forgotten, like Brown, it was still live ) we could all be guilty of making remarks that we would regret if they were made public. I would form an educated guess that Messrs Clegg and Cameron have made similar utterances in private ( if they haven't, they are superhuman beings and I tip my hat to them).

Everyone does - doesn't make it right though. Everyone expects the PM to talk behind people's backs; doesn't mean that when he does we should condone it.

Everyone does - doesn't make it right though. Everyone expects the PM to talk behind people's backs; doesn't mean that when he does we should condone it.

I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying everyone at some time or another has said something rude in private about someone. Just be happy most of us are not carrying a radio mic. Just goes to show he's a bit of a grumpy human being - I would guess most people knew that before.

BBC News seem to think it would be impossible for Brown to govern now even if Labour win the election. Bit strong IMO.

mmm - a non-Tory politician tells the (not so controversial) truth in private and his remarks are released to the public by good old Rupert Murdoch and his army of cronies

Big surprise there.....

:038::038::038: Well said.

Big surprise there.....

I think you might feel it quite controversial if you asked the PM an innocent question and he called you a bigot.

I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying everyone at some time or another has said something rude in private about someone. Just be happy most of us are not carrying a radio mic. Just goes to show he's a bit of a grumpy human being - I would guess most people knew that before.

and then quite rightly landing in the shit! On the other hand we are not running for government are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669