Bill Anderson Retires Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, Bill. I won't be shedding any tear here. You spoke to me like a c*nt at a press conference a couple of years ago.

That's great news, after 21 years of journalism this wonderful lady deserves a break.

Wahooooooo!!

good riddance Billy Bullshit

Wahooooooo!!

In fairness it taks a great deal of skill and determination to last 35 years in the same job when you are an arse licker like him.

In his stint has he ever had a ''breaking'' story...i think not!!

I know that to a great extent, what he does and doesn't write is governed by the relationship between club and paper. It's a difficult balance because on one side you want to get the good stories, but you have be careful not to upset the apple cart too much, or the people who provide your meat-and-drink stories every week might stop talking to you.

I doubt Bill Anderson will be replaced, what with the bad state the journalism industry is at the moment.

Last edited:
I know that to a great extent, what he does and doesn't write is governed by the relationship between club and paper. It's a difficult balance because on one side you want to get the good stories, but you have be careful not to upset the apple cart too much, or the people who provide your meat-and-drink stories every week might stop talking to you.

I doubt Bill Anderson will be replaced, what with the bad state the journalism industry is at the moment.

I've got a mate who works at The Mercury and I've been there a few times on work experience and from what I saw the sports desk just sit around doing feck all all day. While everyone else was busy they'd just be watching sport on TV after a hanging a story on one throwaway quote from a City player - a very cushy job but not conducive to good sports journalism!

Apparently Blanderson's already been replaced by another bloke from the sports desk who's supposed to be better - I think it's Steve Pumfrey who does all the other Leicester stuff at the moment.

I've got a mate who works at The Mercury and I've been there a few times on work experience and from what I saw the sports desk just sit around doing feck all all day. While everyone else was busy they'd just be watching sport on TV after a hanging a story on one throwaway quote from a City player - a very cushy job but not conducive to good sports journalism!

Apparently Blanderson's already been replaced by another bloke from the sports desk who's supposed to be better - I think it's Steve Pumfrey who does all the other Leicester stuff at the moment.

Yeah I think it is Steve Pumfrey - met him at the Westerby Cup final the other day, top bloke.
I've done some work experience on a couple of dailies and you're right, it is a bit cushy - I think one or two stories a day are expected and the rest is spent watching Sky Sports News!

Yeah I think it is Steve Pumfrey - met him at the Westerby Cup final the other day, top bloke.
I've done some work experience on a couple of dailies and you're right, it is a bit cushy - I think one or two stories a day are expected and the rest is spent watching Sky Sports News!

Probably the main reason I'd want to get into sports journalism to be fair though :081:

A backpage lead for The Mercury usually stems from a conversation like this:

Reporter: Matty, do you want to score more than thirty goals next season?

Matty Fryatt: Yes.

Then they hang about 500 words onto that, and then just chill out watching TV for the rest of the day! Not a bad way to earn a living.

Interesting cos when I read Pumfrey's 'Man In The Stands', I normally think it's a load of old nonsense.

dont really get the overly negative attitude to anderson

He's a nob. He was praising the club to high heavens last season despite relegation. Never a harsh word said!

Last edited:
dont really get the overly negative attitude to anderson

The man's an idiot. He reports on games that don't take place, he has an irritating grin and everything he writes seems to be designed to get him in with whoever is in charge.

Rather than being allowed to write nonsense until he retired, he should have been shot out of a cannon into a brick wall from extremely short range years ago.

I work for a pretty large Sports Journo place here in the States, there are tv's everywhere and the editorial team generally just talk bollocks and watch telly most of the time. But they'll tell you they work their knackers off.

I love my job.

My favourite Bill Anderson "lines" were those that were factually correct but annoyingly rubbish ... such as whe Peter Taylor was sacked ...... "Thanks to the fans we've sacked a manager that kept us up and replaced him with a manager that got us relegated". - See what I mean!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566