Bit of a dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

indierich06

I've got an interview for a job tomorrow working for a company called Adfero as a copy writer. On the surface it seems like the ideal job to start my career as a journalist, and lord knows I could do with the experience, but I've been doing a bit of research into the company and found a group on Facebook where a load of ex-employees are talking about what its like to work there and I'm not sure I want to work there now.

Apparently they treat their employees worse than shit, the money's awful and they currently have a pay freeze going, so it won't go up any time in the forseeable future. They demand that you churn out at least 2 articles every half an hour, which seems completely unreasonable, and if the quality isn't great then you get chewed out. Plus you end up doing 12 hour shifts trying to meet your targets.

I didn't just want to take their word for it, so I got in touch with a couple of my ex lecturers and they told me the place has a real bad reputation for treating its' staff badly...

I need the experience, and I'm pretty sure if I take this job (presuming I do well enough in the interview) it'll help me to get a better job in the long run, but the job itself and the working conditions sound really, really awful...

Not sure what to do really. Any advice?

Doesn't sound great. If other options are available might be better to hold out.

If however you can get your head down and give yourself a time frame with the goal of finding something better, go for it, might be the stepping stone you need.

Ex employees often have an axe to grind. It may have changed since they worked there. At least give it a chance would be my advice.

career as a journalist..Any advice?

yeah read "Eat, Shoots and Leaves" ;-)

might help you with Oxford commas and a few other things

:icon_bigg

I've got an interview for a job tomorrow working for a company called Adfero as a copy writer. On the surface it seems like the ideal job to start my career as a journalist, and lord knows I could do with the experience, but I've been doing a bit of research into the company and found a group on Facebook where a load of ex-employees are talking about what its like to work there and I'm not sure I want to work there now.

Apparently they treat their employees worse than shit, the money's awful and they currently have a pay freeze going, so it won't go up any time in the forseeable future. They demand that you churn out at least 2 articles every half an hour, which seems completely unreasonable, and if the quality isn't great then you get chewed out. Plus you end up doing 12 hour shifts trying to meet your targets.

I didn't just want to take their word for it, so I got in touch with a couple of my ex lecturers and they told me the place has a real bad reputation for treating its' staff badly...

I need the experience, and I'm pretty sure if I take this job (presuming I do well enough in the interview) it'll help me to get a better job in the long run, but the job itself and the working conditions sound really, really awful...

Take it, if you last six months your CV is off and running.

Last edited:
Raise these issues in the interview, it's a two way thing.
It'll show you can research a story too, and you'll all know where you stand.
Good luck, go get 'em tiger.....:icon_cool

What if you don't go, someone else gets the job and 6 months down the line they're really enjoying life and you're left saying" that should've been me".

Last edited:
Ex employees always know how to run the company once they have left. Just go for it, if it turns out shite you can always leave and you have not lost anything.

Wear a mankini and a false moustache for the interview, see what sort of reaction you get. If its at all negative then stand up and shout 'dumkopfs', turn on your heel and leave.

I think this may resolve your dilemma.

Join the union. Revolutione, ole.

Wear a mankini and a false moustache for the interview, see what sort of reaction you get. If its at all negative then stand up and shout 'dumkopfs', turn on your heel and leave.

I think this may resolve your dilemma.

Ive missed your posts Chuck :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572