Bizarre Ollie rant on SSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merc

Leicester City manager Ian Holloway today revealed that he may sign a third striker during this month's transfer window.

Holloway landed Derby's Steve Howard and Barry Hayles from his old club Plymouth on Monday, and both are expected to start tomorrow's FA Cup match against Southampton.

But Holloway, who admits he is prepared to do some "ducking and diving", says he could yet bring in another attacker.

"I am keen on a lot of players," he said. "I have got a big scouting network and I am trying to do a lot of things, but I can't tell you what they are.

"I have got two strikers in, I might have another one in time. I need options in wide areas - I think I have got a choice of three new ones, maybe more - and central midfield, and possibly a defender."

Holloway is relishing his role as manager of a buying club rather than a selling one as he bids to create a squad which will eventually have his indelible mark on it.

So is this a pleasant difference from his previous managerial tribulations?

He said: "Yes, exactly. I might want to swap some around because I have got so many players, and if I need to duck and dive, then I will do.

"Let's face it, they have not pulled up a lot of trees to impress me so far have they?

"I am getting the work ethic now. Even at QPR when they were 3-0 down they never gave up, never stopped running and could have got back in the game, but it is all about balance, ask any manager.

"Milan Mandaric has not been here long, I have been here even less and I am having to sift through things that have already happened.

"I will take that on the chin and I want the next 20 games to be a lot different, because they need to be."

Holloway ran the rule over three foreign trialists last week and he said: "They impressed me and I might do something, but it is all up in the air at the moment, like a man who trips carrying a jigsaw puzzle - when it lands, I will know what pieces I have got and what work I have to do."

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

I don't care how many strikers he brings in but if he doesn't bring in at least one or two midfielders then he's as stupid as the managers he took over from.

He moaned about us stock piling defenders (fullbacks) so lets hope he doesn't do the same with strikers.

We want a balanced squad - and that means more than 2 centre mids in the entire squad. At our best under MON we could call on Lennon, Savage, Izzet and Zagorakis.

So come on Ian - work it out!!!

I don't care how many strikers he brings in but if he doesn't bring in at least one or two midfielders then he's as stupid as the managers he took over from.

He moaned about us stock piling defenders (fullbacks) so lets hope he doesn't do the same with strikers.

We want a balanced squad - and that means more than 2 centre mids in the entire squad. At our best under MON we could call on Lennon, Savage, Izzet and Zagorakis.

So come on Ian - work it out!!!

whats why i put the :icon_eek: smilies we need midfeild players not more strikers :045:

I thought it was absurd - re. Academy players. I don't think it would be remotely in the interests of these youngsters to play in the fizzy league - and I don't think that they would be particularly effective in that football at 16-18 years anyway.

As for the transfer window. I do agree that it is unnecessary and an adverse restriction of trade. However, as always it will be the clubs doing badly that complain most.

Clearly SSN enjoy letting Holloway have a good rant as a bit of comic relief - but this has nothing to do with him being a good or bad football manager.

My take on him at the moment is that he is energised, good for a laugh and maybe feeling a bit like he's 5' tall in the 6' end. But I may be being a bit harsh. We shall see.

I might be wrong but i thought the transfer window was bought in as a compromise with the European Union as they wanted the whole transfer system to change to bring it in line with other industries.
Can't remember the details though.

I doubt it. It seems restrictive to me. FIFA wanted it to bring it inline with the rest of the World.

He seemed more upbeat about getting anther striker than the wingers and midfielder/s though

I think the crux of it is that he can only sign those players that are available.

My gut feeling is that there may be more problems down the line caused by January signings made in near desperation. That said, Holloway is in a very difficult situation and can't really avoid seeking to freshen up the squad.

I saw it, thought he made some valid points

he was talking about the transfer window and how ridiculous it would be if a household had to do all their shopping for the whole month on one day and then the shops would close until next month, so if you ran out of bread and milk then that was tough.

And how teams like Man U had a wealth of talent in their academy teams that couldn't be loaned out because you never know what injuries you're gonna get between windows so they get all these players and just rack em and stack em knowing that they're not going to get first team footy.

Or something like that, it may have lost something in the translation but I found it interesting.

I agreed with his points in essence. However, I did disagree with the point about how all the best accademies cannot release their players on loan, seeing as we won the accademy championship last season!!

I thought this was especially cringe worthy as he was conducting the interview in front of a back drop which read 'LCFC Academy Champions 06/07'.

Thought it made him look quite a tit, especially when you look at our position in the league, he should be on the training ground trying to get the best out of our current players instead of talking crap in front of the camera!!

I saw it, thought he made some valid points

he was talking about the transfer window and how ridiculous it would be if a household had to do all their shopping for the whole month on one day and then the shops would close until next month, so if you ran out of bread and milk then that was tough.

But if you knew the shop was going to close you would buy extra...talks out of his arse:102:

Have you heard the interview HF? If not, check it out, it's on the BBC site. Very good, IMO he is very good.

I don't mind him that much Alex just don't get the bread and milk comparison.I agree with 50% of the stuff he says,the rest of it his tripe ..IMO

he should be on the training ground trying to get the best out of our current players instead of talking crap in front of the camera!!

Maybe the players were already at home on their playstations or having a good roast............ dinner.

I don't mind him that much Alex just don't get the bread and milk comparison.I agree with 50% of the stuff he says,the rest of it his tripe ..IMO

So you have heard it?

I liked the fact that Steve Howard wanted to come here mainly to work with Ollie.

So you have heard it?

I liked the fact that Steve Howard wanted to come here mainly to work with Ollie.

I though Steve Howard said he wanted to come here because he was offered more lolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00