"Black" managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Black British managers need extra help - Gordon Taylor

I have to say that I fundamentally disagree with this notion. There are some great black coaches in the NFL (Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin for example) and I would suggest that they would be picked for the job irrespective of their colour.

Football Clubs in this country should only be choosing coaches on the basis of talent and not because of some artificial leg up.

Last edited:
Football Clubs in this country should only be choosing coaches on the basis of talent and not because of some artificial leg up.

So should the rest of society when it comes to women, gays or any other group of so called 'under-represented' people.

I want the best person for the job be they black or white, gay or straight, male or female.

Having read the piece I think there are two issues getting mixed up.
Taylor talks about overseas coloureds getting jobs before our own, then Ince goes on about a colour of skin problem.

I'm all for the best man for the job, but I do believe it seems to be a current "fad" to appoint whenever possible an overseas manager before our own, but this is irrelevant of colour.

As for Ince, I wouldn't emply him full stop, cos he's a **** of the first degree.

I think it was Sir Les who said the problem was mostly down to the fact most black players don't plan to go into coaching when they retire. It does seem to me that the issue here is clubs aren't willing to give black potential managers an unnecessary leg up.

I'm all for the best man for the job, but I do believe it seems to be a current "fad" to appoint whenever possible an overseas manager before our own, but this is irrelevant of colour..

I entirely disagree. British managers take up about, what, 2% of total professional football managers? Probably less. So there is a hell of a lot more choice for chairmen to hire a top manager if they look on a worldwide scale rather than a British one.

If anything, there are far too many British managers in this country. The number of British managers managing here still vastly outweighs the number of non-British managers and a lot of teams in this country have never had a non-British manager in their entire histories.

Last edited:
I entirely disagree. British managers take up about, what, 2% of total professional football managers? Probably less. So there is a hell of a lot more choice for chairmen to hire a top manager if they look on a worldwide scale rather than a British one.

If anything, there are far too many British managers in this country. The number of British managers managing here still vastly outweighs the number of non-British managers and a lot of teams in this country have never had a non-British manager in their entire histories.

It is not a British league, but an English league.
How many English managers are there in the top flight?

It is not a British league, but an English league.
How many English managers are there in the top flight?

You said overseas manager, Scotland or Wales are not overseas.

Fourteen out of twenty or 70% of managers in the Prem are not from overseas, which is still a far, far higher percentage than there are non-overseas managers out of the total professional managers in the game. Things like nationality shouldn't matter one iota, all that should matter is the best man for the job is hired. Non-overseas managers for the general are given far, far more opportunities to manage than overseas managers in the English game.

I have absolutely no idea what you think this "fad" to appoint overseas managers is based on. Carlo Ancelotti, Roberto Mancini, Gerard Houlier, Avram Grant, Roberto Martinez and Arsene Wenger got hired ahead of any English manager, because the board thought they were better than any non-overseas manager, it's as simple as that (or in Martinez' case it was more sentimental with him being a great player for Wigan).

Last edited:
You said overseas manager, Scotland or Wales are not overseas.

They're aren't in England either, I don't consider Ferguson, Moyes, McCleish et all to be English.

Well of course they're not English, but what the **** does that have to do with your rant about this "fad" about overseas managers?! :icon_conf:102:

And as a side note there are probably less Scottish managers in the English game now than ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why no gays or transsexuals? Or any two-dimensional projections from an astral plane?

Words can not begin to describe my total disgust at League chairmen and their bigoted recruitment policies. It is probably the biggest issue which keeps me awake at night.

Why no gays or transsexuals? Or any two-dimensional projections from an astral plane?

Words can not begin to describe my total disgust at League chairmen and their bigoted recruitment policies. It is probably the biggest issue which keeps me awake at night.
This is the funniest thing I've read in the last five seconds.

there just isn't enough transexual managers in the league in my opinion. mind you, I once employed a black disabled lesbian and she was useless

there just isn't enough transexual managers in the league in my opinion. mind you, I once employed a black disabled lesbian and she was useless

Does it count as "employment" if it only lasts for five minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669