"Black" managers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor's referring to the Rooney Rule in the NFL which guarantees black applicants a certain proportion of places on any shortlist. It has worked in the sense that now something over 20% of coaches in the NFL are from ethnic minorities.

Transplanting that to British/European Football must be fraught with difficulty, even allowing for the hilarious assertion that coaches should or are being appointed on the basis of talent. Why did no one tell us?

If football wants to import any ideas from the NFL then look at the draft and salary caps that levels up the playing field to make the league competitive.

I think it was Sir Les who said the problem was mostly down to the fact most black players don't plan to go into coaching when they retire. It does seem to me that the issue here is clubs aren't willing to give black potential managers an unnecessary leg up.

It's one of those daft debates where someone is speaking on behalf of a group without really doing proper research.

Load of shite, funny really that all the African teams at the major championships insist on European managers being in charge. Largely ignored that.

Taylor's referring to the Rooney Rule in the NFL which guarantees black applicants a certain proportion of places on any shortlist. It has worked in the sense that now something over 20% of coaches in the NFL are from ethnic minorities.

Transplanting that to British/European Football must be fraught with difficulty, even allowing for the hilarious assertion that coaches should or are being appointed on the basis of talent. Why did no one tell us?

If football wants to import any ideas from the NFL then look at the draft and salary caps that levels up the playing field to make the league competitive.

I could talk for days about this. But for now I'll say that the Rooney rule has become a bit of a farce in some ways. There are a few coaches around the NFL who must have had 10+ interviews for head coaching jobs without ever REALLY being in contention. Teams will just interview the same bloke over and over in order to fill their "Rooney" quotient.

That said, if the goal was to get more minorities in head coaching roles...it seems to have worked....

Frazier, Rivera, Tomlin, Morris and a few others have emerged in recent years.

As for other things to take on board? The salary cap is one I would look at, but keep in mind that the cap led to the unionization of players...which in turn has led to a work stoppage and probably no season this year.

I do believe that, from a fan perspective, the NFL is the most entertaining league in the world. All 32 teams have a realistic chance every year of being in contention and money can't buy teams anything. Being well-run is far more important than being rich for NFL teams.

Last edited:
I do believe that, from a fan perspective, the NFL is the most entertaining league in the world. All 32 teams have a realistic chance every year of being in contention and money can't buy teams anything. Being well-run is far more important than being rich for NFL teams.

Er, no. Simply all teams are not run equally and some teams contend year in year out. I would agree though it is a system that allows for teams to cycle through periods of being good, bad and indifferent.

how many Indian/Pakistani managers are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669