Blackburn Match Thread (FA Cup 6th Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst we defended well and battled every inch of the way we seemed to be lacking any cutting edge, we never really looked like creating too much and MDV did appear to be a little too isolated. I can understand the tactics in some ways, keep it tight and make Blackburn force the issue and then try and pick them off on the break, the problem was Blackburn didnt really have a go so we cancelled each other out and virtually nullified each other.

As for the penalty, I think Pedesen made the most of it but Kenton was more than a little naive to commit to such a challenge especially where it was as he was going nowhere, he gave him the opportunity to win the penalty.

Overall we certainly havent disgraced ourselves and can take some pride for the way we battled and contained a premiership team and overall the way we performed on the cup run, lets hope this run gives the players the confidence to go on a decent run and finish the season with style.

i must say that every single leicester player on the pitch gave it there all and poured there hearts out it's unlucky that we didn't go through even though at times we looked like the better squad leicester played a tough physical game even though the play wasn't the nicest looking i'd have to say leicester deserves congratulations on a game well played blackburn in the end needed a penalty to score against us.

we went into this match knowing we didn't have anything to loose and the players played as if they were playing in the final and i loved that. the back line looked solid dublin played one of his finest games this season and maybury was wonderfull he kept dickov in check and caused trouble for him the whole game.

i hated how dickov cried everysingle time he was touched it seemed like he fell down everytime.

Tiatto is a wonderfull captain he gave it his all and he kept the spirit going throughout the squad.

leicester should take from this game knowing that they are a good squad and should be 1st in there leauge right now because they are capable of playing alongside premiership clubs today being a example and the charlton game.

i was watching the game on tv and i must say the foxes fans were wonderfull and stood behind there team the whole time good job !

unlucky but i think there is alot that can be taken from this game and built upon

great cup run foxes

Decent performance, well done city. But ...

De Vries is a pile osf shite. Why doesnt he JUMP when he is trying to winner a header?
Levein should have had him off much much earlier. Shocking.

Foxes_Never_Quit said:
Decent performance, well done city.

I thought it was a poor performance. We gave Blackburn far too much respect, and sat back too much.

When we did go forward we relied on too many long balls up to de Vries, which didn't work.

When we played at Charlton we passed the ball around, and built the play up that way. It allowed the midfielders and full backs to join in the attacks. When we're relying on longer balls we don't have time to get other players into the game, because the ball just keeps coming straight back.

Blackburn are a crap team, and they played badly today. If we were at our best we could have won. But their goalkeeper didn't even have a shot to save.

Maybe the management thought the only way to play against Blackburn was to play them at their own game - but I think by doind that it just dragged us down to their level. I'd rather we tried to beat them, not just contain them.

webmaster said:
Foxes_Never_Quit said:
Decent performance, well done city.

I thought it was a poor performance. We gave Blackburn far too much respect, and sat back too much.

When we did go forward we relied on too many long balls up to de Vries, which didn't work.

When we played at Charlton we passed the ball around, and built the play up that way. It allowed the midfielders and full backs to join in the attacks. When we're relying on longer balls we don't have time to get other players into the game, because the ball just keeps coming straight back.

Blackburn are a crap team, and they played badly today. If we were at our best we could have won. But their goalkeeper didn't even have a shot to save.

Maybe the management thought the only way to play against Blackburn was to play them at their own game - but I think by doind that it just dragged us down to their level. I'd rather we tried to beat them, not just contain them.

Couldn't agree more, for the first 20 mins we looked like we had set up to play Madrid, the players seemed to grow in confidence on realising that Blackburn didn't offer much. Far too much respect.

Apparently CL had expected Blackburn to play 4-4-2 which may have explained the first twenty five minutes.I agree with Webbo in that we gave them too much respect,I feel If CL could play the game again he wouldn't play 4-5-1 but if he did then he would have played Hughes.If we are going to play 4-5-1 then we need to play at least 2 midfielders with the energy to get forward...we didn't.On a plus note I was impressed by Williams especially in the 2nd half,CL comments about him in The Times article are well worth a read.

Levein admits he was going for a good defensive display (which I suppose he got considering we didn't conceded from open play), but I'd imagine that was the difference from Charlton when we tried to attack them at least. Nalis seemed awful to me, I haven't seen him perform well since about a month before Adams left, I understand the Hughes was tired but I don't think Lil touched a ball until about the 20th minute.

But problems all over the park aside, it's pretty obvious that we need a striker. Bit of pressure on Moore already I think :-( ...I wonder who will get GOTM for March if we don't score in March? :eek:

Really we're just missing Jordy :smt023

The one thing which annoyed me the most about Nalis was the way he never moved,never found space.Joey,Maybury,Williams would get the ball and Lil would just stand there alongside them waiting for the easy ball.Can anyone remember him being in their penalty area during Open play?He was meant to get to get up there and support MDV he never did.Right formation? wrong personnel?

highland fox said:
The one thing which annoyed me the most about Nalis was the way he never moved,never found space.Joey,Maybury,Williams would get the ball and Lil would just stand there alongside them waiting for the easy ball.Can anyone remember him being in their penalty area during Open play?He was meant to get to get up there and support MDV he never did.Right formation? wrong personnel?

from what I have seen of Hughes, he gets forward more than any of our midfielders....

Agreed

Sadly, he can't get forward when he's sat on the feckin' bench for 85 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673