Bradley Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRETTON FOX

a cash offer from leicester city was enough to convince his manager not to risk him in yesterdays game

todays northants evening telegraph

See my earlier post

Bradley Johnson.

This is from a cobblers ST holder.

"Well he thinks he is the next Stevie Gerrard!

He has got a lot to learn - but with a steady head alongside him in midfield (missing for much of this season) he can play. He does have this habit of being inept for 88 minutes and then gaining our forgiveness by coming up with a spectacular last minute goal. He doesn't do tap ins...in fact, I don't know if he can shoot from within the penalty area! He's young and can get stupid bookings, but he is promising....honestly!

(I heard he was Coventry bound though???)

Happy New Year to you and Leicester City too."

I know we need an attacking midfielder but do we really need another 'promising' midfielder? Anybody heard what the fee might be?

Cobblers manager Stuart Gray says he will not stand in the way of Bradley Johnson should the midfielder today agree terms with Coca-Cola Championship club Leicester City.
Johnson didn't play for Town in their 1-1 draw with Millwall at Sixfields yesterday, but was at the game.

Today, though, the 20-year-old was at the Walkers Stadium to discuss personal terms after the Cobblers accepted what is thought to be a record offer for the player they snapped up on a free transfer from Cambridge in 2005.

The Chron understands a deal which could rise to the £500,000-mark after incentives and add-ons has been agreed with Foxes boss Ian Holloway, though Leicester are not the only club in the hunt for Johnson, who has scored five goals from central midfield this season.

Coventry City boss Iain Dowie is a keen admirer, but the Sky Blues have put a block on any transfer activity until Thursday.

Colchester United and Queens Park Rangers are also both interested, and Gray says he will not hinder the career progression of a youngster who now looks bound for the championship.

"The final decision will not be mine or the chairman's," said Gray. "It will be Bradley's.

"We've received a very substantial offer from a championship club and all parties agreed that we wouldn't play him against Millwall in case he picked up an injury.

"There are a number of clubs interested in Bradley and there is a fair bit of interest.

"He wants to talk to other clubs andI don't think we can stop Bradley from talking to a championship club because it is a step up for the boy and also because it is a very good offer for Northampton."

Gray conceded he does not really want to sell Johnson, but a six-figure offer would be simply too good to refuse, especially as it could facilitate the purchase of three or four other new players.

The manager – who nearly sold Johnson to Stevenage for £15,000 in his first week at Sixfields – hasn't ruled out having the player in his squad for the game at Elland Road this weekend.

"We're in negotiations with two or three clubs and it's a case of waiting to see if anyone comes in with a bigger offer," he said.
"We don't want to lose him but he's in a very nice position to have clubs after him.

"You never know, it might not go through, and we might have him available for selection for the Leeds game on Saturday."

Johnson set for move to Leicester

Northampton Town midfielder Bradley Johnson looks set to become the latest player to join Leicester City.

The 20-year-old was at the Walkers Stadium on Wednesday to discuss terms for what could be a record transfer for the Cobblers.

Northampton manager Stuart Gray told the Evening Telegraph: "I don't think we can stop him because it's a step up for the boy and it's a good offer."

Johnson has also attracted interest from Coventry, Colchester and QPR

Yet again, full of promise.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to get excited about lower league signings after the disasterous few years we have had to endure. Even this year, the unkowns have largely failed.

Just hope Ollie knows how to spot a diamond.

...nearly sold Johnson to Stevenage for £15,000 in his first week at Sixfields
That would pay for a lot of Fry's Turkish Delight, half a million even more so - and that is definitely full of 'Eastern promise'.

I sense another Josh Low in the making - prove me wrong Ollie, prove me wrong.

Many people seem to share your view Melts, but what we have got to ensure is that this neverending cloud of apathy doesn't encompasses all new players.

It seems to envelope anybody however acutely mentioned with the club.

Whoever's fault this is, I actually don't care anymore. We've spent too long looking at past mistakes from all and sundry.

It is time to move on, break the shackles of yesteryear(s), and welcome all new players with optimism and a positivity that this club badly needs.

Then maybe, just maybe, we can move forward....

Moan if they are too old,moan if they are too young...:102:
What are you on about now you bloody daft old fool?

welcome all new players with optimism and a positivity that this club badly needs.
Indeed, and anybody that ever welcomes a new player with anything different needs bloody shooting. (Dennis Wise being the exception of course)

Look if Gary Penrice think's he ok then he must be. Just remember Penrice is the vital part of the machine that turns the cogs :icon_wink

What are you on about now you bloody daft old fool?

People moaning when we go for players over 30 and then again when we go for younger players like Johnson.Should we only buy players between the age of 23 and 29 ?

People moaning when we go for players over 30 and then again when we go for younger players like Johnson.Should we only buy players between the age of 23 and 29 ?
I didn't see any mention of his age anywhere other than the reports. Sorry H, I shall re-read.

He's alright, spanks in a few goals from 30 yards occasionally. Works hard. Very one-footed (left). Creates some chances. Plays central midfield.

Infinitely better than Josh Low. Harder-working, about eight years younger and scores goals.

Look if Gary Penrice think's he ok then he must be. Just remember Penrice is the vital part of the machine that turns the cogs :icon_wink

Let's hope so, I still see us signing Kavanagh as well though, this guy is too young for our current situation IMO to be playing 90 mins week in week out. Can see him being used more as a sub or when we are playing the more defensive teams at home.

Could be a good signing but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet!

Did I quote you ? Well did I ?
I wasn't on about me?, I know I never mentioned his age.

You didn't quote anybody so I presumed it was an open conversation for us all to enjoy :icon_conf

Look if Gary Penrice think's he ok then he must be.

Indeed. I've heard that Johnson captains England to winning the World Cup in 2018 in his testimonial year at City.

Was then adopted as Leicester's finest son in the hilarious 2020 Walkers Crisps advertising campaign.

No pressure lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670