Britains First Ever ?1,000 Train Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

fludie

Peanut Thief
Shock over Britain's first-ever £1,000 rail ticket

Britain's first ever £1,000 train ticket has plunged the rail industry into fresh controversy over its pricing policies.

The unwelcome record-breaking fare - £1,002 - is for a 'walk-on' return from Newquay in Cornwall to Kyle of Lochalsh in Scotland.

For £247 less it's possible to buy a round-the-world plane ticket. The £755 airfare takes in Dubai, Bangkok, Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland.

Last September a ticket for the journey was priced at £486, but it passed the £1000 mark in May this year.

Liberal Democrat transport spokesman Norman Baker said: 'It will do nothing to encourage people to travel by train.' Stephen Joseph, executive director of the Campaign for Better Transport, called for a complete rethink of fare regulation.

'We've been concerned about regulated fares rising by more than inflation, and by what's happening to unregulated fares,' he said.

The fare was revealed in a survey by rail expert Barry Doe, who said that despite the astronomical price charged by CrossCountry, passengers would get very little pampering during the 20hr 30min journey.

He told the London Evening Standard: 'For the price I would expect to be given a meal as soon as I got on board. What do you get with CrossCountry? For the first 183 miles to Bristol you might get a trolley service offering a cup of tea.

'From Bristol you might get some paltry snacks. You ought to be getting linen tablecloths and wall-to-wall service.'

Rail fan Michael Palin, who embarked on the trek from Cornwall to Scotland for a TV documentary, and said: 'The fare is staggering. Fares do seem to be rising and complicated. If you're good on the internet you can spend a couple of hours and get good deals. If you're not so good, you can end up paying £1,000. I don't think this is a journey I'll be doing.'

For the same money, it's possible to travel on the Orient Express from London to Zurich including an a la carte meal in the dining car.

However, CrossCountry insisted that no traveller would need to fork out the full amount for the journey: 'We've never sold one of these fares, but there has to be a fare for every route regardless of whether anyone's bought one or not. The price of a first-class saver return (book in advance) is £561. That's what people will pay if they want to do that route.'

The Metro

Last edited by a moderator:
It's bollocks. There is no return fare for this journey. The Anytime Single fare is only £277.00.

I wonder how much Nottingham Fox can get this fare down to.

I could cycle it for free and spend the 1,000 squids on hookers

I cycled it twice, but I had no energy left for hookers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566