Pre Match Burnley v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
They play every 1-2 days in the NBA.

“Too many matches” ffs

“Too many matches” ffs
A different sport entirely, not really comparable. Although I'm certainly no expert on sports science I can only imagine playing an equal number of minutes in both sports within a given timeframe would result in far more injuries to football players, given the challenges and knocks which dont happen so much in the NBA.

A different sport entirely, not really comparable. Although I'm certainly no expert on sports science I can only imagine playing an equal number of minutes in both sports within a given timeframe would result in far more injuries to football players, given the challenges and knocks which dont happen so much in the NBA.
don’t bring sports science into this, we don’t want your evidence, just the inexperienced opinions of people who have never played the game at anything remotely close to an elite level

“Too many matches” ffs

Rolling subs throughout. Current controversy about resting players. League forcing teams to play players in big games or face significant fines. I do wonder why teams would want to rest them? Perhaps to keep them fresh and cut down on significant injury.

It’s absolutely ****ing mental to compare sports in this manner.

NFL teams play 16 times all season and most former players die in their 50’s. Wimps.

no, for 2 weeks then they move on to the next tournament that starts within a week somewhere else in the world, top level pro tennis players schedules are more full than most other athletes
Top tennis players are some of the fittest athletes on the planet.

The only team to have been in the top 4 all season more than likely won't be finishing in it.

At least we'll have the EL to get our teeth into next season, love a bit of European competition.
We enjoyed it so much last time we thought we'd do it again.

Seriously? Footballers should be immune from physical and mental fatigue?

WIBBLE.

Re tennis, it's often struck me that they can have a pretty tough schedules. Not sure I'd fancy a couple of 5 set matches in 3 days. They must be dead on their feet. Then they go off to the next tournament and do it again.

Re tennis, it's often struck me that they can have a pretty tough schedules. Not sure I'd fancy a couple of 5 set matches in 3 days. They must be dead on their feet. Then they go off to the next tournament and do it again.
Not relevant, apparently

Rolling subs throughout. Current controversy about resting players. League forcing teams to play players in big games or face significant fines. I do wonder why teams would want to rest them? Perhaps to keep them fresh and cut down on significant injury.

It’s absolutely ****ing mental to compare sports in this manner.

NFL teams play 16 times all season and most former players die in their 50’s. Wimps.
It helps that with an 82 game season (72 this year, obviously), that ultimately is just a gateway to the playoffs, you can afford to rest players.

Long live LeBron and his ilk though, he understands his importance to the game and doesn’t take games off (as a rule).

What's the point in all of this?

Are only one set of sports people allowed to feel fatigued??

It's what happens when people start discussing things; we forget what the original point was.

I think it's like British Rail snow. There are different kinds of tiredness and BR planned for the wrong kind.

Speaking of points. It's daft that basketball rewards laziness isn't it. If you can't be bothered to run all the way to the basket you get rewarded from throwing it from further out. Ridiculous if you ask me. No wonder none of them are tired the lazy feckers.

Discussing the differences in fatigue/fitness between different sports is a stupid argument.

I hate it in the same way I do when people complain about a similar point arguing why footballers find it hard playing 2-3 games in a week when they're paid to do it and have all this sports science around them.

1. Every sportsperson is trained and builds the fitness for the sport they play, so comparisons between sport are a waste of time - you couldn't put a sprinter into a marathon etc

2. Footballers can play several times in a week. But it's not optimal for performance. The same way a marathon runner COULD run another marathon a few days later, but they wouldn't do nearly as well. And they're up against a team that is also made up of highly-trained, sports science-surrounded athletes who have their own fitness, recovery and training programmes - and those fine margins in rest time or 10% drop in performance levels from not having recovery time can make a huge difference

Yeah, but could Djokovic go and win a Grand Slam and then go and put in a shift at right back on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke ?

I think not.

CASE CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472