Buying a second hand car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingy_85

OK, i passed my test a month ago. I need a car.

Each lift to footy training and every bus to work grinds me further into desperation.

Ive seen the following ad...

Ford Fiesta Silver colour three door excellent condition. Engine size 1.25 Zetec S, Sun roof, New Battery, new tyres. Drives excellent. low insurance and tax.
Tax paid upto April 2010 and MOT also upto April 2010.
£439 ono.

I rang up and the guy sounds pretty genuine, its done 103,000 miles though :102:. The pictures show that its in decent nick and very clean inside.

Now this has caused a huge debate in my office, people saying its a good first car, others saying its a write off within the next few months.

Personally i just need a cheap runaround to get me through to the summer, at which point i can get something better.

What do you think? Any engineers out there can give me an honest opion?

Last edited:
I rang up and the guy sounds pretty genuine, its done 103,000 miles though :102:. The pictures show that its in decent nick and very clean inside.

All of which, of course, is completely irrelevant - you can make any old banger look good

If you're going to buy a car that's done that amount of miles then you have to get a mechanic to have a look at it. The engine, or indeed any working part(s), might well be completely ****ed, although he might have had it all cleaned up to make it look nice for any ignorant sucker who comes along

If you don't get a mechanic to look it over, then you might as well piss your four hundred quid down the shitter

Last edited:
The miles are a tad excessive. What age we talking here? 100k is the region where engines start having problems (I just had to have a cam belt and water pump installed on my Focus recently which was brought up in a service).

It does seem cheap too....

Cheap little cars like this are perfect for your first, but expect problems for that sort of money. Once one thing goes wrong, they just turn into money pits.

Buy it, but save up another 400 quid for your next one, rather than paying for excessive repairs and plowing in more money than the car is worth.

Well done for passing your test.

Take a friend along for a test drive that knows more about cars than you do.
Enquire about the price of routine spares, ie plugs, wiper blades, brake pads/discs etc.
Remember though, it's only £439 (random!), so don't expect the world for your money.

Having said that, if you paid over £1,000 for your first car, could only get third party insurance, had a knock, you'd be crying in your beer for quite a while.

Happy motoring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47