Buying a second hand car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a 1997 Fiesta that has only done 30,000 miles. Car Spotter says its worth £850 but i got it for £450. Insurance is an absolute bitch, the cheapest i can find is Admiral @ £108 a month (no deposit).

Is there a way to get this any cheaper?

Its not bad for a first car anyway. The Audi TT can wait. :icon_roll

Find a girl you know (I know this may be difficult) and even if she only has a provisional licence try adding her on to the insurance as a named driver.

Insure the car in a parents name and be a named driver. You can still earn no claims with Direct Line. However be aware that the parent will need to be the registered keeper.

Have you done pass plus?

Last edited:
Find a girl you know (I know this may be difficult) and even if she only has a provisional licence try adding her on to the insurance as a named driver.

Insure the car in a parents name and be a named driver. You can still earn no claims with Direct Line. However be aware that the parent will need to be the registered keeper.

Have you done pass plus?

Whilst he can earn no claims with Direct Line, onl Direct Line will recognise them. If he is claim free for say 3 years as a named driver, if he moves to another insurer they will not regonise any of them and he will be back to 0 years.

Found a 1997 Fiesta that has only done 30,000 miles. Car Spotter says its worth £850 but i got it for £450. Insurance is an absolute bitch, the cheapest i can find is Admiral @ £108 a month (no deposit).

Is there a way to get this any cheaper?

Its not bad for a first car anyway. The Audi TT can wait. :icon_roll

Call Churchill and tell them you have had a quote for say £85 a month, and see what they say.

Whilst he can earn no claims with Direct Line, onl Direct Line will recognise them. If he is claim free for say 3 years as a named driver, if he moves to another insurer they will not regonise any of them and he will be back to 0 years.

I managed to move mine over. But if I remember rightly that was due to an administrative error on there part.

My Dad's with RAC so thats an option. Might have to give them a call.

My g/f has a provisional license. Maybe thats another option. At the moment money is tight, so maybe just insuring it in her name for a while and not worrying about the no claims for the time being ?

You shouldn't need to insure her as main driver and I would advise against doing this. Just try a quote on one of the comparison websites with her as a named driver, see if it saves you anything?

Just a note of caution. Insuring as a named driver but in reality being the main driver of the car is called 'fronting' and is illegal.

Last edited:
Is the insurance third party, fire and theft?
Can you get just third party?

It was Fire and Theft, changing it with most sites only changed it by £30 or so a year :icon_sad:

I didnt realise it was illegal. So that option is out the window.

Also, just tried Churchill they quoted me at £149 with a £278 deposit :icon_eek:

My bank Nationwide quoted me at £129 with a £233 deposit.

Looks like its going to be Admiral.

It was Fire and Theft, changing it with most sites only changed it by £30 or so a year :icon_sad:

I didnt realise it was illegal. So that option is out the window.

Also, just tried Churchill they quoted me at £149 with a £278 deposit :icon_eek:My bank Nationwide quoted me at £129 with a £233 deposit.

Looks like its going to be Admiral.

Have they seen you driving :102:

Right,

Got the insurance, £104 a month with Elephant. Sorted.

Went into the post office to tax it but was told that i cannot use a printed off insurance certificate and i need the real thing. So i told them that the insurance only went through 35 minutes ago and that the certificate would be a few days in the post. They said that they cannot help and to come back when the insurance forms arrive. Delivered with the smug everyday arrogance of the typical post office WANKER.

I tried online but couldnt because i have not yet received back the green slip of details that was sent away to register the cars change of ownership.

I tried ringing them, but this didnt work because it takes 48 hours for my insurance company to pass on details of my agreement to the DVLA.

So basically i have have to wait for my insurance certificate to arrive before i can tax my car.I was told by a friend that your allowed a couple of days in order to sort this and yet still use your car. This is probally bollocks ?

Nevertheless Im not waiting any longer !

Right,

Got the insurance, £104 a month with Elephant. Sorted.

Went into the post office to tax it but was told that i cannot use a printed off insurance certificate and i need the real thing. So i told them that the insurance only went through 35 minutes ago and that the certificate would be a few days in the post. They said that they cannot help and to come back when the insurance forms arrive. Delivered with the smug everyday arrogance of the typical post office WANKER.

I tried online but couldnt because i have not yet received back the green slip of details that was sent away to register the cars change of ownership.

I tried ringing them, but this didnt work because it takes 48 hours for my insurance company to pass on details of my agreement to the DVLA.

So basically i have have to wait for my insurance certificate to arrive before i can tax my car.I was told by a friend that your allowed a couple of days in order to sort this and yet still use your car. This is probally bollocks ?

You would be if you didn't have the complication of tax.

If anyone asks, tell them you've got a rich benefactor and that you'll settle up in May. Can't fail.

Last edited:
Went into the post office to tax it but was told that i cannot use a printed off insurance certificate and i need the real thing.

Most Certificates of Insurance are print-offs these days. I've never had any problem having them accepted.

... basically i have have to wait for my insurance certificate to arrive before i can tax my car.I was told by a friend that your allowed a couple of days in order to sort this and yet still use your car. This is probally bollocks ?

You're right - it is bollocks. Are you aware that by driving a car without a Road Fund Licence, you are liable to have it seized and crushed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47