Buying a second hand car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely not every car is useless once it passes 100,000 miles?

I mean theres a very high chance it could last me a year with limited problems? Yes/no?

A high mileage car that has been well maintained and serviced regularly should last you a year yes. However, the caviat here is on the servicing and maintenance. TBH, I would expect to be paying a bit more than £400 for a Zetec with tax and MOT so I would be asking myself why is it that cheap.

Ask the current owner if he is happy for you to get it inspected by the AA/RAC (you don't necessarily have to get them to check it, just gauge his reaction), and, like I said, whatever you do find out when the cam belt was changed last. If he doesn't know then you have a choice of either walking away (preffered) or getting a new belt fitted as a matter of urgency (This is not a job for the faint hearted despite what the Haynes manuals might tell you).

I have something similar, Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.25. My first car and I've had it for a year and a half to two years now. I personally wouldn't touch a car with as high mileage as that, I would have thought you'd probably be better off finding an older model or something that has had a bit less use.

High mileage cars can be fine - but you want to get an idea of how those miles were run up. If it was 60,000 in the first 2 years and the rest more spread out since then, it's worth a further look.

Cheers for the advice lads, i still havent had a look at it yet, might try and get over there after work.

Its worth a look at least, but i guess the mixed reaction has got me thinking twice.

If a car at that price is still available after 5 days, that might be a message in itself.

Cheers for the advice lads, i still havent had a look at it yet, might try and get over there after work.

Its worth a look at least, but i guess the mixed reaction has got me thinking twice.

Have you found out how old it is yet?

In order to find this out, on the front and back of the aformentioned vehicle there will be 2 rectangular strange looking ''plates'', containing a series of baffling letters and numbers.

The first 3-4 really give the game away!

:icon_wink Hope you get a good one.

Get yourself an old 190e Merc mate. I got mine for £550 nearly two years ago. It's never broken down and it passed it's last MOT first time (the first MOT cost about £200 but still good!).

Also, they ae lovely cars that will run and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46