Cardiff 2 Leicester 3, lost on pens

Status
Not open for further replies.
The long drive home along the M4 gives you plenty of thinking time, and the only conclusion that I came to last night was that I'm very proud of my city and I'm very proud of my team. A fantastic effort last night was synonymous with the last two seasons.

It still hurts though...

Agreed, DM. There were a couple of times post-match I nearly let my emotions get the better of me but as I got near Leicester, started feeling upbeat for next season. However, I do not want to see a football for the next couple of days.

Rhydal, congratulations on reaching the final, your team play good open entertaining football and in Mark Kennedy and Dave Jones you have two of football's genuine good guys, the way they both conducted themselves after the game was superb and very sporting. Good luck in the final.

Last word to Stevie Howard and Nobby Solano who were both immense last night not only in the way they played but their passion and commitment to the cause and the way they managed to get through 120 minutes at their stage of their careers shows testament to their professionalism. Also both were exceptional in the penalty shoot out.

I agree with your sentiment about Kennedy and Jones. However, I was not very happy with the conduct of their front pair. Bothroyd gained an unfair protection off the ref and Chopra attempted to get Bruce sent off for the penalty (then the twatty announcer started arguing with Webb about it on the pitch at full time). I'd rather they do there talking on the pitch and worry about the rest later. Chopra then attempted a stamp on Wellens in extra-time.

I'd add Wellens to your list. AZ, he was the last City player off the pitch and some idiot attacked him (like Waghorn he had to be led off). He came over at kick-off and gave the support a pumped fist towards us. Howard did similar in extra-time. Seen Waghorn's girlfriend in tears post-match, it's gonna hurt the poor lad. As with Yann, it was the line between genius and stupidity...he just bottled it, if he carry on with his shot...it would have gone. I think he would have bottled it regardless of how he hit. However, I am not after scapegoat after last night's performance...three goals away from home, came back from behind and lost to a lottery. They suceeded in league position and pre-match exceeded my expectations.

I don't agree with this that Cardiff 'deserved' to win the tie. We've played each other five times this season, they have all been close games often decided by set-pieces. They are banging on about the shots against the bar....we had one cleared off the line and the keeper pulled off a super save from Howard's shot. It was typical that it had to be penalties to seperate us.

Typical City....in the midst of the third goal I said there will be another twist yet. Atmosphere in the whole stadium was as good as any I have been in (and thankfuly on the whole we didn't restore to Ingerlund chants for the majority).

My assesment of each player

Weale-didn't have his best games, miscommunication with Bruce caused confusion leading to the penalty, and looked nervy in the shoot out. 6

Solano-was our second best player last night, showed his experience on many occasions, and his pinpoint balls into Howard were so crucial. 8

Hobbs-not his best game in a city shirt, but certainly not his worst, solid as ever, but clearly nervy with some bad clearance-brilliant to stop that one on the line.7

Bruce-questions over the penalty, but the way he has slotted into the side in the last two games has really impressed me-wouldn't mind him signing as cover. 7

Berner-again gave his all, and thought he was going to score a wonder goal with that run at the end. Reliable as ever.- 7

Gallagher-typical gally-flashes of brilliance (including his skill before crossing the ball for Kings goal) but never really had a big impact on the game. 6

King- did his usual thing, took his goal well, can't really fault him. 7

Wellens- again imo he is our key player-he controls the midfield, lots of good interceptions, dictates the play. As long as we have him we will be more than an average championship team 8

Dyer- never really got into the game last night. Not at his best. 6

Fryatt- showed again why we had missed him-hes movement of the ball is exceptional, always dragging defenders all over the place and took his goal well. Will get goals for us next year. 8

Howard- what can I say, his best performance in a City shirt-won so many headers, and nowhere near as many fouls as usual! Also the effort he put in was exceptional-still running at full pelt near the end of the game. 9

Waggy-his corners were so dangerous, but he never really got into the game for me last night, and could've done better with that chance. but thanks for a great season. 7

Yann-penalty aside, I thought he did ok-made some good challenges and made a vital clearance. 6

Spearing-never really got into the game, all I remember is he had the chance to put Fryatt in but overhit a pass to Howard instead. 6

Last edited:
What an epic game, could not be more proud of that performance. Well done Cardiff, got over the line......Just!

Well done City fans, brilliant atmosphere from start to finish.

Only sour note for me was the Cardiff players in their excitement jumping over a devasted Waghorn running to their keeper after the penalty save. Crass in every way.

Last edited:
the 1st 25mins we were being run ragged and i feared the worse but then we got 2 quick goals and that seemed to change things, the natives were getting restless along with their defence who couldnt deal with howard - who was fantastic last night what a difference 1 player makes!!

why didnt bruce just clear his lines instead of wanting weale to come out for their offside pen?????

they couldve had another pen in the 2nd half when solano elbowed it in the area - so swings and roundabouts for the 'pens'

why werent bothroyd or chopra booked?? everytime their player went down chopra was in webbs face trying to get our players booked, and no-one could look at bothroyd without him falling over to get another free kick, but their players were getting away with it

im saying nothing re yanns pen.......felt sorry for waggy it obviously meant a lot to him

all in all we had a great season and we wouldve took this at the start of the season just disappointing at how we went out, we now need to make sure pearson signs his contract pretty soon

I don't get to go to many games, so i count myself very lucky to have been at this one. The realisation of losing is only just starting to take effect - i'm absolutely gutted.

Apart from the opening 20 mins every player did themselves proud leading up to the penalties. The stand out player being Howard - he was absolutely immense!

I feel extremely sorry for Waghorn, who looked distraught at the end. And as for Kermit - you just don't do that in that situation? When you're 2-0 up, maybe? But, not at 3-3 in a penalty shootout!

Special mention for Boothroyd, great hold up play, cracking target man and good feet - all ruined by your inability to stay on your feet midway in your opponents half. Unbelievable how Webb (dreadful game) bought it time and time again!

Overall a great evening spoilt by the result.

Come on you foxes! Maybe next year?

What an epic game, could not be more proud of that performance. Well done Cardiff, got over the line......Just!

Well done City fans, brilliant atmosphere from start to finish.

Only sour note for me was the Cardiff players in their excitement jumping over a devasted Waghorn running to their keeper after the penalty save. Crass in every way.

To be fair Kennedy did stop and console Waggy, also helped to get him to his feet. Then in his post match interview he was very gracious towards City.

Last edited:
I could beat myself up about the gut wrenching desolation of a defeat on penalties, or how much a ****ing hate Michael Chopra or the fact that we could have beat Holloway in the final but I'm proud of the players, even Yann.

Almost every second of this season has been a treat and I for one have some wonderful memories of a season we spent as underdogs and surprising everyone with a solid run to the play-offs.

The real challenge starts here though, we need to do this again next year and then better it and the sweetest thing is, I know we can do it with Nige and all of our excellent players. This is the reason I ****ing adore Leicester because when I wake up on the morning after the night before, no matter the result, I can't wait to see my team again.

It still hurts this morning, but I'm pleased I can wake up and say I'm proud to be a Leicester fan. Our performance last night was fantastic, great away support got rewarded by a great performance from the players.

Steve Howard and Nobby Solano, age considered, were fantastic for 2 hours.

To see Martyn Waghorn at the end was absolutely heartbreaking. Fair play to Mark Kennedy for taking the time to console him.

All in all, it's tough to do in the aftermath of losing in such a fashion, but we've had a cracknig year, we're a brilliant club to support, and under this management, if we can keep key players like Hobbs, Fryatt and King (most likely to get pinched imo) we'll be up there again next season.

we will go up as champions next year. Mark my words.

Battling display last night - much better than I expected. Well done to NP and the team.

Unfortunately all the damage was done at the Walkers last Sunday.

I regret to say that I think we will have a major difficulty with holding on to our manager and we will also find it difficult to put together the quality of (some of) the loanees.

After all the praise for last night's efforts, the hard truth is that we missed out on a great opportunity in this tie. I believe that we would have seen off a Blackpool side minus DJ. I doubt if MM is in too good a frame of mind today. I don't see him lashing out a lot of cash to press on with the undoubted big progress under NP.

It will take a great effort and good fortune to re-create such an opportunity next season. Overall I fear for us.

Apparently we are the first away team to score three times in the new Cardiff stadium. Hooray.

Radio Leicester doing a special moan in tonight..... can't wait :icon_roll

I think ther are a lot of positives to take out of this tie and the play offs as a whole.A lot of people have said they have felt more proud to be a leicester fan than ever before so hopefully season ticket sales will go up which equals more money,I would imagine we got tv revenue from the games, the profile of the club has been raised so hopefully we can attract better players,We have proved we are a good side with promotion hopes so sky should be at our ground more next season which again equals more money.Plus we may finally get a buyer for DJ. So its not all doom and gloom.

You never know, DJ might call in to F*%king gloat :098:

I have a new found hatred for Chopra after last night. He's a horrible fat little runt who was offside for our penalty, complaining to the ref if he got fouled and in his post match interview said "he had no sympathy". Tosser

Absolutely in agreement about Chopra. I know it's not much to go by but on his facebook (if it is his) he's also still wearing newcastle training stuff. Hate him, not a big fan of Bothroyd and his am-drams, and much as though I like Cardiff I think it's a shame that these two are there.

That said rather they go up than blackpool- always nice to be beaten by a winning side as it shows there's a reason why we were beaten (even if it is because of a bad decision (or indecision) and a total lottery.

Thinking ahead to next season (I know it's probably a little early, but why not), if we want automatic promotion, who do you think should go so as to free up some resources for Nigel and where do we need to improve? Here's what I think:

To go:

Solano (great effort from the little man last night and a great professional, but he's not a right back)

Nielsen (not good enough for a promotion chasing side)

Brown (has done well overall this season, but is found out against strikers with flair/real pace)

Dyer (some useful performances, but we do not a winger that can consistently get past defenders and get in good crosses/tracking back to help defenders)

Howard (superb performance last night, but, overall, has had a disappointing season. I think he's past his best)

Kermorgant (nothing to do with his penalty miss last night, but I'm not quite sure he can really make it at this level. Given Nige's post match comments, I think Yann might be off very soon)

Gallagher (some good performances, but I'm not sure that we have had real value for money from someone who isn't quite a midfielder and isn't quite a forward).

Adams (on the periphery of the team. Not good enough for a promotion chasing side)

Oakley ( past his best.)

What we need:

1) Big, powerful front man to play alongside Fryatt ( someone like Bothroyd)
2) A box-to-box midfielder who can score goals
3) A pacy winger
4) A decent right back that comes forward

Chopra kicked wellens in the head and got nothing.
King made a very light tackle, won the ball and got booked.
I think if that's the best ref England has then it somes up what a state the professional referee association is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669