Cardiff (a) 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah the old "he hasn't proven himself at this level" shtick. Apparently you can win some of Europe's top leagues and reach 5 European finals, but it doesn't matter if you haven't proven yourself at Championship level.

And where has MON proven himself at Championship level? Half a good season at Norwich, which is similar to what Sven has done here. Followed by a medicore half season at Leicester in which he basically had mid-table form and took us from comfortably being in the automatic promotion positions to nearly not making the play-offs.

No blinkers on me, mate. No bandwagon been jumped on either. He's an excellent manager, it doesn't take blinkers to see that.

Firstly, I've been accused today of being stuck in the past, but all of Sven's success was in the 1980s and 1990s (when we still had wing backs, by the way). O'Neill's last league title came six years after Sven's last title.

Secondly, you miss the point that Martin O'Neill actually won us promotion in that mediocre season you're talking about, with five wins and a draw in our last five games. And, crucially, he was the guy who pointed out that our very nice passing football had become just a little too predictable for the Championship. Something Sven will have to learn if we're to go up.

Finally, as for 'he's an excellent manager', as I've said, you've got to wait and see. He's BEEN an excellent manager, whether he can pull it off this time we don't know. And if he is an excellent manager, then right now he'll be wondering whether he should have selected Bruma instead of Abe, or Dyer instead of Waghorn too. Until he develops that much vaunted 'Plan B' we won't trouble the promotion race.

Of course, that's not to say that he won't. After all, he has BEEN an excellent manager. In the meantime, we lost a game, and the reasonable thing to do is to wonder why.

Firstly, I've been accused today of being stuck in the past, but all of Sven's success was in the 1980s and 1990s (when we still had wing backs, by the way). O'Neill's last league title came six years after Sven's last title.

Are you really comparing the achievement of winning the SPL to the Serie A, when it was at its peak?! Do you really think the game changes that much in 6 years?

Secondly, you miss the point that Martin O'Neill actually won us promotion in that mediocre season you're talking about, with five wins and a draw in our last five games. And, crucially, he was the guy who pointed out that our very nice passing football had become just a little too predictable for the Championship. Something Sven will have to learn if we're to go up.

5 wins and a draw? I'm sure I've seen someone better than recently, I wonder who...

Why will he have to learn? Based on form since he's been here, we're comfortably top 2. If we don't go up this season, it will be down to Sousa, nothing to do with Sven.

Finally, as for 'he's an excellent manager', as I've said, you've got to wait and see. He's BEEN an excellent manager, whether he can pull it off this time we don't know. And if he is an excellent manager, then right now he'll be wondering whether he should have selected Bruma instead of Abe, or Dyer instead of Waghorn too. Until he develops that much vaunted 'Plan B' we won't trouble the promotion race.

Of course, even great managers can fail, but you don't just "lose" your managerial ability. Of course, he may not succeed here, but you could say exactly the same thing about MON.

Firstly, you're talking about one game. Scondally, yet again, you keep judging Bruma without having seeing him play, do you even know if he put in a good performance tonight? How do you know if Waghorn was in the side for Dyer we would have all of sudden not lost that game? For all you know we could've lost it by more.

Again, why do we need a "plan B"? Where is Barcelona's? Where is Spain's? Where was West Brom's or Blackpool's "plan B" last season? :102: They all play passing football and it brings them success.

Personally, MON's football bores the shit out of me and I'm so glad we're playing this way rather than MON's hoofball. It's infinitely more enjoyable to watch.

Of course, that's not to say that he won't. After all, he has BEEN an excellent manager. In the meantime, we lost a game, and the reasonable thing to do is to wonder why.

No. The reasonable thing is to let the management and backroom staff, who have intelligent computer programmes with hundreds of statistics and in-depth analysis as well of videos of the game go over the game, see for themselves the reasons why we lost and correct them. Not to say make some half-arsed speculation that a player you've never even seen play was a mistake.

Last edited:
Ricardo - 3 - Farcical. It's almost impossible to believe this guy played international football. Sarcastic cheering from City fans when he caught the ball says it all.
Naughton - 4 - A few moments of adequacy, but nothing special.
Bamba - 4 - Clownish at times. Threatened from a couple of set pieces.
Mee - 4 - Generally competent, poor distribution.
Van Aanholt - 3 - Ineffective.
Bruma - 4 - Confident, but not a very good night.
Wellens - 4 - Couldn't find space or pick out a pass.
King - 4 - See Wellens.
Dyer - 4 - Tried hard but didn't achieve anything.
Gallagher - 5 - Decent going forward but produced very little.
Yakubu - 2 - Might as well have stayed at home. Didn't look interested in the slightest, although I think he jogged about five yards at around the 82 minute mark. Only gets a 2 because he completed a couple of passes.
Subs:
Waghorn - 3 - A couple of decent crosses.
Abe - 3 - Achieved nothing.
Vassell - 2 - Ditto.

No, it's not. A centre-half was a position popular decades a go (Billy Wright was a centre-half for example) that is virtually never played in the modern game. It was much more akin to the modern defensive midfielder, than the modern centre-back.
Sorry, but you are wrong. Billy Wright was originally a right half, who became a centre half (the equivalent of a single centre back in modern parlance). He marked the centre forward and was the last defender in the middle of the pitch in the W-M. I played right back in the W-M in my school team. There was little or no offside trap in those days, no square back 3. The full backs (right and left) would pivot around the centre half (back). For example, when the ball was on the left wing, the back 3 would position themselves on a diagonal with the left back attacking their right winger, and the right back providing the deepest cover.

Did you see Billy Wright play? One memory I have of Billy Wright is our reserve centre forward (Littler) shoulder-barging him humiliatingly off the ball in a muddy Filbert Street penalty area, then picking up the loose ball and slotting it home. But I also saw him play great.

Ricardo - 3
Naughton - 4
Bamba - 4
Mee - 4
Van Aanholt - 3
Bruma - 4
Wellens - 4
King - 4
Dyer - 4
Gallagher - 5
Yakubu - 2

Thank the Lloyd Dyer that I wasn't travelling with you last night; we'd have been suicidal by the time we reached Newport.

:icon_lol: Are you actually having a laugh?! 5 minutes - 1 goal which fell to him thanks to an incredibly luck deflection = in form?! :icon_lol:

The logic behind Burma's selection. Sven sees him every day in the training ground, you even said you weren't at the game today, so you have no idea how he plays. The logic behind it was probably that Sen thought he was the best player for that position in this particular game, it's not that hard.

I'm glad Sven came over O'Neill and always was from day one, because he is a far, far better manager. That has nothing to do with thinking he couldn't put a foot wrong or hero worship, it's to do with the fact he has achieved much much more and shown greater tactical nous as well as a greater eye for a player and better all round managerial ability over a sustained period of many years.

"Egg on our faces" - ****ing hell! It sounds to me as though you actually want him to fail just so you can get some pointless sense of one oneupmanship - have a word with yourself.

Ture. :icon_wink

I'm glad I missed that! :081:

Our run was going to come to a end at some time...and what ever happens this season we have got to thank Sven for at least salvaging our season.

If i do have a gripe then as mentioned in this thread it has to be Sven's tinkering with the selection.

When Bruma was selected it definitely raised an eyebrow...my first thoughts is this the right time to blood a player in an unusual role for him in such a big game.

Yes Sven knows best but did Weale and and Yuki Abe warrant being dropped in recent weeks...its not as if they had been playing poorly,Sven has to be careful here that he does not upset what is a settled ship.

Our run was going to come to a end at some time...and what ever happens this season we have got to thank Sven for at least salvaging our season.

If i do have a gripe then as mentioned in this thread it has to be Sven's tinkering with the selection.

When Bruma was selected it definitely raised an eyebrow...my first thoughts is this the right time to blood a player in an unusual role for him in such a big game.

Yes Sven knows best but did Weale and and Yuki Abe warrant being dropped in recent weeks...its not as if they had been playing poorly,Sven has to be careful here that he does not upset what is a settled ship.

Abe's form didnt warrant being dropped but he did look knackered in recent games. Weale certainly didnt deserve dropping and I hope this isn't something we regret too much.

Thank the Lloyd Dyer that I wasn't travelling with you last night; we'd have been suicidal by the time we reached Newport.
I think a lot of those marks were inflicted by Cardiff. They weren't that good but they controlled the game by restricting space, closing the ball down and just being in the right places. Chopra was a pain in the arse. He, Bothroyd, Ramsey, Emmanuel-Thomas and Olofinjana were better than anything in yellow.

Feckin' Rhydal. No more starting pre-match threads for him!

You're not thinking straight lad. For a small fee, I could start the Cov thread where I predict a return to 'form' for the Foxes.

I think a lot of those marks were inflicted by Cardiff. They weren't that good but they controlled the game by restricting space, closing the ball down and just being in the right places. Chopra was a pain in the arse. He, Bothroyd, Ramsey, Emmanuel-Thomas and Olofinjana were better than anything in yellow.

Harsh, but fair.

Horrific defending for both goals. Bamba gave Chopra far too much space for the first one. The midfield runner completely ignored for the second and Mee should have been more aware.

Sounds like both teams weren't up to much. We've handed one of our rivals three points on a plate. It was a Sousa-esque performance.

For the second successive match, several of our players were well off the pace. Wakey, wakey boys. You do have to do a little more than merely turn up in order to win!

As long as we can see off an abysmal Chav team on Satdi, the table should look a heck of a lot prettier than it does right now.

Maybe I was slightly over optimistic looking at us overtaking QPR.

Terrible pitch which didn't help. However, Cardiff were better prepared for the game and, as Bristle did last Friday, their midfield out-worked ours and denied ours any space/time. By stopping King and Wellens, we look pedestrian to be fair.

However, little need for the doom & gloom here. We are still on a terrific run of form and have enough about us to challenge top 6 places, thanks to the owners & Sven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566