Cardiff match thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
admin said:
I'd have been home by 11:30 if I hadn't stopped at the services.

Gave up with this thread after about 20 pages, have I missed anything interesting, apart from the marrow discussion?

Anyway, a few words about tonight's pe formance:

crap. crap. crap.

Hume should start on Saturday.
fancy guessing the weight then webbo? Ive looked on the Radio Leics webiste and they have nothing on the marrow.

thats one way of putting it. very poetic.

I know that I might kop a lot of stick for this given that it will run against the grain of popular thought...but what the hay,

'We shouldn't expect too much', 'we should be patient', 'its all about rebuilding', are all phrases that we have heard used in reference to our dear club. For the most part I argee with them, but I feel that we are in danger if we let such sentiments turn into a complacent attitude.

Whilst the standard of football has improved (something that really can't be argued with), the poor results continue to flood in. With a budget that is roughly 5th/6th best in the league, any achievement below top 8 all season is simply unacceptable. Yes performances have improved, but with parachute payments running out this will not be sustainable in the long term future. We are going to have to make further cuts in the summer, and as we have already seen following the sale of David Connolly, our best players will be snapped up.

Sunderland understood the importance of pushing for promotion in the final year of their parachute money, as did West Ham, and this season Wolves. Yes there were transition periods for each of these teams when they fell from the premier league, but they quickly shifted focus and emphasis on gaining promotion before the parachute money was dissapated.

On the other hand, sadly all I can say about us is that we are going backwards. 5th/6th best budget demands a better league position. If we don't aim for it whilst we actually have the finances we are fools!!!! It really is that simple.

Now to the crux of the matter...I believe that we have players of sufficient quality to be pushing the top six! However this has not happened, and I can't help but question why. The only conclusion I can come to is that tactically something is not working.

I'm not a boo boy, and I'm not calling for the managers head, but I do believe in two principles. Firstly, where praise is due it should be given, but equally where criticism is appropriate it should not be avoided.

Far too many games have gone by where we have complained, or rather commented that we have created a large amount of chances. I have lost count of the number of times I have heard people comment that we could have won 5 or 6 nil! This is not a problem...the problem is that we never score any of these chances! This trend has gone on for a long time, and little has be done to address it. Equally, whilst there have been some nice passing manouvers there has been no finished product. I am questioning the managers tactics and build up in this respect. I also can't understand why we persist with floaty corners that drift directly to the goalkeeper. We don't seem to make the most of set piece opportunities, whilst in contrast our opposition must be rubbing their hands with glee when they get a sniff of any kind of set piece against us.

Last year our defence was comparable to that of the champions, this year it is more leaky then an old watering can.

Going forward, and defending we are poor. Something has to be done to address it, nothing as of yet has.

You can say that I am panicking and 'not giving time' if you want, but I assure you that I am not panicking, and I am willing to give all the time in the world. However!!! There are problems, and the manager has done nothing yet to convince me that he is trying to remedy them. My belief is actually a little shaken!!!

Last edited:
SilverFox said:
I know that I might kop a lot of stick for this given that it will run against the grain of popular thought...but what the hay,

'We shouldn't expect too much', 'we should be patient', 'its all about rebuilding', are all phrases that we have heard used in reference to our dear club. For the most part I argee with them, but I feel that we are in danger if we let such sentiments turn into a complacent attitude.

Whilst the standard of football has improved (something that really can't be argued with), the poor results continue to flood in. With a budget that is roughly 5th/6th best in the league, any achievement below top 8 all season is simply unacceptable. Yes performances have improved, but with parachute payments running out this will not be sustainable in the long term future. We are going to have to make further cuts in the summer, and as we have already seen following the sale of David Connolly, our best players will be snapped up.

Sunderland understood the importance of pushing for promotion in the final year of their parachute money, as did West Ham, and this season Wolves. Yes there were transition periods for each of these teams when they fell from the premier league, but they quickly shifted focus and emphasis on gaining promotion before the parachute money was dissapated.

On the other hand, sadly all I can say about us is that we are going backwards. 5th/6th best budget demands a better league position. If we don't aim for it whilst we actually have the finances we are fools!!!! It really is that simple.

Now to the crux of the matter...I believe that we have players of sufficient quality to be pushing the top six! However this has not happened, and I can't help but question why. The only conclusion I can come to is that tactically something is not working.

I'm not a boo boy, and I'm not calling for the managers head, but I do believe in two principles. Firstly, where praise is due it should be given, but equally where criticism is appropriate it should not be avoided.

Far too many games have gone by where we have complained, or rather commented that we have created a large amount of chances. I have lost count of the number of times I have heard people comment that we could have won 5 or 6 nil! This is not a problem...the problem is that we never score any of these chances! This trend has gone on for a long time, and little has be done to address it. Equally, whilst there have been some nice passing manouvers there has been no finished product. I am questioning the managers tactics and build up in this respect. I also can't understand why we persist with floaty corners that drift directly to the goalkeeper. We don't seem to make the most of set piece opportunities, whilst in contrast our opposition must be rubbing their hands with glee when they get a sniff of any kind of set piece against us.

Last year our defence was comparable to that of the champions, this year it is more leaky then an old watering can.

Going forward, and defending we are poor. Something has to be done to address it, nothing as of yet has.

You can say that I am panicking and 'not giving time' if you want, but I assure you that I am not panicking, and I am willing to give all the time in the world. However!!! There are problems, and the manager has done nothing yet to convince me that he is trying to remedy them. My belief is actually a little shaken!!!

100% spot on Silver I'm affraid. Without Promotion or at least a strong push we will fall in to decline.

As far tactics go, we are becoming as nieve as we did under Micky Adams. How many more corners will we conceed from this season? When will we score from one?

spot on Silver. Welcome back. We need promotion soon rather than later IMO and I cant see it being this season but I will remain optomistic for now.

We should be producing better. I don't believe this is an unrealistic expectation for fans to have! Not with the budget we possess, or our current players! There is a lot of quality for this league, yet we can't defend or score.

What are we going to be like next year when we lose our better players and the parachute money has stopped. We MUST push! Our finances dictate it!

you really have come back on a mission havent you Silver.

fcukcov said:
you really have come back on a mission havent you Silver.

Sadly, this is my day off so I have not 'returned' :icon_sad: . Its more a case of having a small bit of time and an available computer. I had to get my message across quickly. On the returning note, I should get home access to the internet within the next week or so.

Hows yer bad self?

SilverFox said:
Sadly, this is my day off so I have not 'returned' :icon_sad: . Its more a case of having a small bit of time and an available computer. I had to get my message across quickly. On the returning note, I should get home access to the internet within the next week or so.

Hows yer bad self?
check it. not too bad. Bit annoyed about last night but its not the end of the world..............yet

I agree with what Silver has said, we desperately do need promotion this year, otherwise it could be a long while before we do get it again with a small budget. Even with parachute payments, we finished close to the relegation zone last season, and on current forum we may do again this season. If we don't get promoted this year the budget has to be cut by another £3m I believe, and I'm sure we won't be able to keep Hughes and some of the other top players. When we're close to relegation WITH them, it worries me where we'd be without them!

Having said that though, I can't see us getting promoted this season. We simply aren't good enough. We don't score enough, we concede too many, and we rarely win games (2 wins in 9 games so far this season is dire!). I can't really see anything that's going to change that. All our players are so inconsistent, and even when they play well, usually it just means we were unlucky to lose/draw, but we still do! I'm not blaming CL, I still think he's a good manager and we should stand by him. We just have to hope that when Hume gets in the team that he fires the rest of them up and gets the goals we so desperately need!

I think we should be looking to get a player or two in on loan. I thought it was just supposed to be an emergency loan, like if you had no keeper, but other clubs still seem to be bringing players in on loan. I don't know who we could get, but I'd try and find a proper LB. If we find a proper LB, that means injuries aside, we can play the same defence all the time, and sticking with the same defence all the time should help them concede less goals. If the defence is more solid and stable, it frees up the midfielders to attack more and hopefully chip in with goals.

My worry is that CL will still be saying this sort of thing in six months time. I have heard it before and I do not want to hear it again. :icon_eek: :eek:

Teamtalk said:
Levein said: "I asked the referee why our goal was disallowed and he said it was for offside, so there's nothing I can do about that. But I can't believe we have lost because we never seemed to be under any serious threat.

"We had a great chance to level in that hectic last few minutes, but it just wasn't going to be our day."

"I'm very frustrated because our goalkeeper never had a save to make. We were the better side, yet we got nothing from the game."

Steven said:
My worry is that CL will still be saying this sort of thing in six months time. I have heard it before and I do not want to hear it again. :icon_eek: :eek:

If there was no save to make, why did we lose 1-0 :icon_lol: ?

Its when they start talking about themselves in the third person that you should worry Steven. Ask Micky Adams, and he'll tell you that Micky Adams thinks that is a bad sign.

Cheery Feckers today aren't we? I'll take the 'Levein Out' Thread will be started this afternoon.Monday Morning half of you thought we were wonderful now we are the biggest pile of shite in the League.If you want CL out then come out and say it.Some peoples idea of giving him time extends to 8 matches,last season he had to make do with MA's cast-offs now this is his team now and while they are hardly setting the World alight it is early days,we are not the only team under performing.Some of you really do need to realise that we no longer have a god given right to beat anybody anymore be it Cardiff,Crewe or Brighton.The smell of Doom on here today is overpowering.If we beat Wolves some will no doubt think the sun shines out of CL's arse ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669