Charity Dinner Dance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon all,

I suspect this may get zero interest - maybe even some jeering, but such is the life of a charity trustee/fundraiser I suppose. If you are not interested, please do not heckle etc, I do realise life is now probably too full of people holding their hands out or chasing you with clipboards etc.

I'll keep it fairly brief. I run a charity with a close friend of mine, which we set up when his brother lost his fight against cancer a number of years ago. Since we've raised between £2,000 and £10,000 a year for individual cases and local cancer organisations (as well as some non-cancer ones). Regular recipients of money raised by the charity are the Heart of Kent Hospice, MacMillan Cancer Relief and The Special Care Baby Unit at Maidstone hospital... so not local concerns for most of you, I appreciate.

Much information is available about the trust - please see http://www.jmwtrust.com/index_files/Page458.htm

I have stung Leicester fans in the past and raised a lot of money, having been sponsored for runs (x2) 30+ mile walks, abseiling (I'm very scared of heights) and a number of other things. We also run cricket tournaments, crib nights and other activities in order to raise money and have a bit of fun. Again, all of this is in the Maidstone area, but often we find people do like to get involved in any way they can.

I'm not specifically asking for anyone to stick their hands in their pockets here, but if anyone is involved in an organisation which may be willing to help through donating a prize for our raffle or similar, I'd be extremely grateful. I'm not expecting a great deal, but anything really would be appreciated and if you don't ask you don't get.

If this message does nothing else, please next time you see someone with a hospice collection pot or similar, spare a pound or two. These organisations are never going to save a life, but they can improve quality of life and ease suffering in a way that drugs, chemicals and doctors cannot. Hospices are struggling and are going by the wayside all over this country - don't let it happen to your local hospice.

If anyone has any questions/queries or whatever - or would like any assistance if involved in a charity because god knows you have to jump through some hoops, please pm me.

I promise you that this is a legit charity and all monies raised are for a cracking cause.

James

Good Afternoon all,

I suspect this may get zero interest - maybe even some jeering, but such is the life of a charity trustee/fundraiser I suppose. If you are not interested, please do not heckle etc, I do realise life is now probably too full of people holding their hands out or chasing you with clipboards etc.

I'll keep it fairly brief. I run a charity with a close friend of mine, which we set up when his brother lost his fight against cancer a number of years ago. Since we've raised between £2,000 and £10,000 a year for individual cases and local cancer organisations (as well as some non-cancer ones). Regular recipients of money raised by the charity are the Heart of Kent Hospice, MacMillan Cancer Relief and The Special Care Baby Unit at Maidstone hospital... so not local concerns for most of you, I appreciate.

Much information is available about the trust - please see http://www.jmwtrust.com/index_files/Page458.htm

I have stung Leicester fans in the past and raised a lot of money, having been sponsored for runs (x2) 30+ mile walks, abseiling (I'm very scared of heights) and a number of other things. We also run cricket tournaments, crib nights and other activities in order to raise money and have a bit of fun. Again, all of this is in the Maidstone area, but often we find people do like to get involved in any way they can.

I'm not specifically asking for anyone to stick their hands in their pockets here, but if anyone is involved in an organisation which may be willing to help through donating a prize for our raffle or similar, I'd be extremely grateful. I'm not expecting a great deal, but anything really would be appreciated and if you don't ask you don't get.

If this message does nothing else, please next time you see someone with a hospice collection pot or similar, spare a pound or two. These organisations are never going to save a life, but they can improve quality of life and ease suffering in a way that drugs, chemicals and doctors cannot. Hospices are struggling and are going by the wayside all over this country - don't let it happen to your local hospice.

If anyone has any questions/queries or whatever - or would like any assistance if involved in a charity because god knows you have to jump through some hoops, please pm me.

I promise you that this is a legit charity and all monies raised are for a cracking cause.

James

I'll make sure I chuck a few quid in your charity's direction.

One thing I would like to ask - do you have much positive response in appeals made to businesses, if you have made any appeals to them that is. The only reason I ask is as follows -

The company I work for has several offices dotted around the UK and each one throws thousands in the direction of small (local) charities. We also have a few national charities (cancer and others) that receive millions as part of larger national fund raising activities, my only concern would be with the inclusion of donations going to MacMillan (being a national charity) many companies could would consider this in their decision making. I could be very wrong of course, but the thought did cross my mind and thought I'd share it :icon_wink

One thing I would like to ask - do you have much positive response in appeals made to businesses, if you have made any appeals to them that is. The only reason I ask is as follows -

The company I work for has several offices dotted around the UK and each one throws thousands in the direction of small (local) charities. We also have a few national charities (cancer and others) that receive millions as part of larger national fund raising activities, my only concern would be with the inclusion of donations going to MacMillan (being a national charity) many companies could would consider this in their decision making. I could be very wrong of course, but the thought did cross my mind and thought I'd share it :icon_wink

Thankyou for your thoughts.

Generally, I target small local business only, simply because:

a) You can often speak to a decision maker.
b) They will often have first hand knowledge/experience of the Hospice and the role it plays in the community
c) They don't tend to have a hard and fast policy on charity donations
d) Many are happy to get involved if they have free time etc.

I thought I'd put it out there on here in case anyone is running a business or has any good contacts and might be able to spare a raffle prize or perhaps a small donation. I wasn't expecting much since I appreciate that the people of Leicester are likely to want to donate to their own local causes, I completely understand that and also appreciate that it is a difficult time for many people financially too.

There was a part of me that hoped that someone from the club might spot this and send a signed shirt, but thinking about it, it would probably only be me (and maybe my Dad and brother) that might want it, down this way! I'd chuck £100 in the pot for it though.

Peter Jones used to be very good by the way (as a shout out to Peter). I never did get anything out of the club but he was in regular contact with me wishing me all the best with things and promising to sort bits and pieces out (I think he got the boot soon after though).

Its actually been quite a difficult year for us as its essentially run by two of us and we've just both had really busy years. This Dinner Dance is always a good money maker though and people really enjoy it. Can't wait.

Perhaps if its not too much to ask (and again I do appreciate that people have local issues closest to their hearts) but if there is another Foxestalk vs Talking Balls game or similar, we might charge fiver per head to play with any profit after paying for pitch etc going to my charity or failing that to one of Leicester's hospices?

Sorry - I realise I did not answer your question really.

On a national level, by far the best response has come from cinema and restauarant chains as well as family sort of attractions. Free film tickets, free meals, free nights at hotels, free tickets places are reasonably easy to come by. The companies who have helped are far too numerous to be mentioned individually but all tend to have a person who just gets say 20 requests a day and just sends stuff out with a standardised letter.

Sporting clubs tend to be very good. I'm fortunate enough to have a number of contacts in the world of cricket and rugby and so I have some very nice items which will be raffled/auctioned off include a bat signed by the Kent 2010 cricket side, a rugby shirt signed by the Wasps side of this season, a bat signed by Jamie Dalrymple, tickets for the season just gone from most of the county sides (Leicestershire CCC hang your heads in shame).

If anyone has any contacts for LCFC or the Tigers, I'd be keen to get stuff, on the LCFC front just because I would happily pay for the stuff or someone on here might be interested. On the Tigers front because they are of course champions!

Johnathan was actually a massive West Ham fan. They were so good with him toward the end. He watched a few matches in luxury surroundings, talking with Brooking et al and meeting all the players after the game. He was just 27 when he passed away.

As you can imagine though, my efforts are a little restricted currently since I'm working a couple of jobs really, plus studying for CII exams, trying to run a charity and getting married in December. We will enjoy the dinner dance though and should make a good few quid along the way.

Thanks for reading anyway - perhaps someone can help us out in some way - but if not, no harm done.

James, if you want a signed shirt or football(which would be more likely) I will see what I can do. When would you want it for?Oh and one of my bosses is matey with the peeps at Leicestershire CCC so I could ask him if he could get anything as well.

Last edited:
That would be fantastic. We have dinner dance at the end of this month. We then have a small event planned for Christmas and quite a full calendar next year. Anything would be really appreciated Anita so thanks for thinking of us.

I will have a word today about a signed ball. I don't mind buying a shirt to get signed either but that would have to wait a couple of months cos my money is waiting to be spent on tour tickets for my boys(but preferably not the twat)at the end of this month when they go on sale.

I certainly don't want anyone spending money they can't afford or going to a big effort. I wonder if the club might donate the shirt? It can be a shirt from last year or 50 years ago. Would be good though as there will actually be a few city fans there.

Brilliant. Thankyou.

I've done a couple of days of asking around and letter-sending now and so far, positive mentions go to:

Hotel Chocolat
Lush
Beaverbrooks Jewellers

Absolute filthy looks should be cast towards:

Waterstones (I'm sure the lady didn't mean to say what she did)
Laura Ashley
Pandora (I know Maidstone is pretty much full of semi-literate, forever-gum-chewing, bleach blonde pregnant teens, but thats no need to employ as many as possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669