Cheap Train Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for cheap travel to London myself, probably next week so might use that.
At the moment the cheapeat I can find is by coach but its such a long time from Sheffield and on the return that it will be a hell of a long day. The comlany are giving me cash to go so the cheaper I get the cost down the more I can keep myself. At the moment I can just get enough to buy my lunch with.
Also if anyone has experience of how to get cheap tube fares or use of the oyster card as I've never had one.

Looking for cheap travel to London myself, probably next week so might use that.
At the moment the cheapeat I can find is by coach but its such a long time from Sheffield and on the return that it will be a hell of a long day. The comlany are giving me cash to go so the cheaper I get the cost down the more I can keep myself. At the moment I can just get enough to buy my lunch with.
Also if anyone has experience of how to get cheap tube fares or use of the oyster card as I've never had one.

Get an Oyster Card. They cost £5 iirc, but I believe that this is refundable if you were to ever trade it back in. They make travelling a lot cheaper though in my experience.

Get an Oyster Card. They cost £5 iirc, but I believe that this is refundable if you were to ever trade it back in. They make travelling a lot cheaper though in my experience.

I bought one a few weeks ago, you pay a fiver for the card (as a deposit) plus your PAYG topup. You can get them at London rail stations and I believe you can buy them at some stations outside London as well.

I tend to use mine just for the occasional bus journey as, if I'm using the tube, it tends to work out cheaper for me to get a one day travel card

I bought one a few weeks ago, you pay a fiver for the card (as a deposit) plus your PAYG topup. You can get them at London rail stations and I believe you can buy them at some stations outside London as well.I tend to use mine just for the occasional bus journey as, if I'm using the tube, it tends to work out cheaper for me to get a one day travel card
I thought one of the selling points of Oyster was that you would only be charged upto the cost of a day travel card?

At the moment the cheapeat I can find is by coach but its such a long time from Sheffield and on the return that it will be a hell of a long day. The comlany are giving me cash to go so the cheaper I get the cost down the more I can keep myself.

If you can tell us the dates and times it would help.

If you can tell us the dates and times it would help.

It is my choice when to go so I'm looking at the moment for the cheapest getting to London in the next 2 weeks (except 14th next week & 23rd the week after) for after 10-30 but before 12-30 so I can get to Turnham Green before lunch or thereabouts.
Not too bothered about the times going back so long as I get back to Sheffield before 10-30pm.
The coach there & back I can get for just under £20 or even £10

Last edited:
On the 22nd:

On the Megatrain website you can get a single from Sheffield to London for £17 on the 07:32, arriving at 10:12. For £12.50 you can get the 10:47, arriving at 13:06, which is probably a bit too late.

For the journey back, the last Megatrain ticket is on the 14:25 from London, which might be too early. That ticket is £12.50.
On Eastmidlandstrains.co.uk there are tickets for £29 on the 19:30 and 19:55 trains from St Pancras

On the 22nd:

On the Megatrain website you can get a single from Sheffield to London for £17 on the 07:32, arriving at 10:12. For £12.50 you can get the 10:47, arriving at 13:06, which is probably a bit too late.

For the journey back, the last Megatrain ticket is on the 14:25 from London, which might be too early. That ticket is £12.50.
On Eastmidlandstrains.co.uk there are tickets for £29 on the 19:30 and 19:55 trains from St Pancras

Cheers Jeff might get that 07:32 train down but get the coach back as I can get a kip for part of the way back

I tend to use [my Oystercard] just for the occasional bus journey as, if I'm using the tube, it tends to work out cheaper for me to get a one day travel card

I thought one of the selling points of Oyster was that you would only be charged upto the cost of a day travel card?

Gaz is absolutely correct. An Oystercard always caps the day's travel at the cost of the appropriate one-day travelcard.

Gaz is absolutely correct. An Oystercard always caps the day's travel at the cost of the appropriate one-day travelcard.

Oh. ok. I just tend to get a travelcard simply because Mrs SJN buys the two tickets as she has a disabled rail card so I get the same price ... works out about £26 for the two including tube and buses and she gets hers paid anyway.

Last edited:
Oh. ok. I just tend to get a travelcard simply because Mrs SJN buys the two tickets as she has a disabled rail card so I get the same price ... works out about £26 for the two including tube and buses and she gets hers paid anyway.

It understand what you meant now. Your travel card from where you live is cheaper? We do the same travelling from Market Harborough (with work) so don't use Oyster then.

Are you aware that you can get your wife's disabled person's railcard loaded onto an Oystercard? This would give her 34% off Oyster off-peak singles and the same 34% off the daily cap. Somebody accompanying her would be entitled to buy a child-rate all zones (Z1-Z6) off-peak travelcard, which at present is only £3.20. See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx and click on the Railcard tab. (This, though not the child-rate for an accompanying passenger, also applies to holders of Senior, 16-25 and HM Forces railcards and Gold Card holders - but not to Network Cards)

Presuming travel from MKC, your "about £26" fare must be the off-peak travel card (£26.40 in fact). If you were instead able to buy Advance LM tickets to Euston at the cheapest rate and then use the railcard-loaded Oystercard/child-rate travelcard option, the total fare would be just £22 for the two of you (£3.30 + £3.30 + £3.30 + £3.30 +£5.60 + £3.20). You would of course have to travel by the specified services from MKC to EUS and back. (If Advance fares are available only at a higher rate, saving would be less or non-existent)

Last edited:
It understand what you meant now. Your travel card from where you live is cheaper? We do the same travelling from Market Harborough (with work) so don't use Oyster then.

MHR is one of a few stations where amazingly it is cheaper (£17.50 cheaper in the off-peak) to buy a travelcard (which includes bus, train and tube travel all over London) than it is to by a simple return to the London terminus). Savings can still be made though by buying advance tickets to St Pancras and using an Oyster Card on from there.

MHR is one of a few stations where amazingly it is cheaper (£17.50 cheaper in the off-peak) to buy a travelcard (which includes bus, train and tube travel all over London) than it is to by a simple return to the London terminus). Savings can still be made though by buying advance tickets to St Pancras and using an Oyster Card on from there.
Thanks Bob. As I say it is with work so often last minute travel and I generally check cheaper options first. We tend to get return to MHR from Leicester then the day travel card. I will keep your advice on mind however.

Thanks Bob, that's worth thinking about, we only do one return tube journey (Euston to Green Park) and then Bus to RMH, she gets a free bus pass anyway but there are other journeys we end up having to do to other hospitals that don't get reimbursed so that's well worth considering.

I had this pop up in my email today and thought it might come in handy for some of you wanting to find cheap train fares, including a phone app ...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets

I would treat the advice here and, in particular, the app with extreme caution. There is an online version of the app at http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com

At the moment the app and splitticket website only deals with single tickets - no returns and no advance fares. I've just put in a journey from Sandwich to Leicester, leaving now. It tells me that if I 'split ticket' at Wellingborough, I can get to Leicester for £68.65 and in the process save £10.90. I'm afraid that is bollocks - the through fare without messing about with splitting tickets is only £52.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69