Cheap Train Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
PlusBus tickets reduced to £1.50 for the next two months

You may not have heard of PlusBus. With a PlusBus ticket you get unlimited bus travel within specified areas to get you to your local station before your train journey begins and/or similar unlimited bus travel to your final destination at the end of your train journey. The Leicester PlusBus ticket, for instance, gives you unlimited travel in the area shown on http://www.plusbus.info/sites/default/files/pdfs/Leicester.pdf - normal price is £3 per day but can be more or less than this for other towns and cities.

At the moment you can buy any PlusBus ticket for travel in June and July at the reduced price of £1.50 per day - book on the East Midlands Trains website or the website of some other train operating companies and retail ticket sellers. PlusBus tickets bought from stations and from ticket machines are NOT reduced in price.

Free £10 Train Travel with The Sun and redspottedhanky.com

Unlike some of the other rail ticket retailers, Red Spotted Hanky does not charge any booking fee, credit/debit card fee or delivery charge (except for next day delivery). At the moment you can start off an account with them with a tenner in credit thanks to a link-up with the Sun. Register at http://www.redspottedhanky.com/thesun/ and enter the code 'SunNorthWest' in the Sun Voucher Offer box. You will receive an email within 72 hours to tell you the credit has been added to your account.

You must register for the offer no later that 16th May but the credit will be available for you to use for the rest of the year.

Re: Free £10 Train Travel with The Sun and redspottedhanky.com

Unlike some of the other rail ticket retailers, Red Spotted Hanky does not charge any booking fee, credit/debit card fee or delivery charge (except for next day delivery). At the moment you can start off an account with them with a tenner in credit thanks to a link-up with the Sun. Register at http://www.redspottedhanky.com/thesun/ and enter the code 'SunNorthWest' in the Sun Voucher Offer box. You will receive an email within 72 hours to tell you the credit has been added to your account.

You must register for the offer no later that 16th May but the credit will be available for you to use for the rest of the year.

:023:

Cheers Boc.

Unlike some of the other rail ticket retailers, Red Spotted Hanky does not charge any booking fee, credit/debit card fee or delivery charge (except for next day delivery). At the moment you can start off an account with them with a tenner in credit thanks to a link-up with the Sun. Register at http://www.redspottedhanky.com/thesun/ and enter the code 'SunNorthWest' in the Sun Voucher Offer box.

And if you have a Tesco clubcard you can get double the value of your clubcard vouchers credited to your Red Spotted Hanky account.

You can also use clubcard vouchers with Megatrain.

Last edited:

Assuming you've been quick enough to get it. There were only 10,000 available so I expect they've all gone by now.

You'll be pleased to know that they hadn't all gone; my £10 voucher is now in my account. And Mrs Boc has another which she applied for two days later. Luckily for me, she never goes anywhere on the train so I am twenty quid to the good.

Don't leave it too long to make your mind up, the price will go up.

Just booked on that 7-32 down to London for next week with coach coming back. Total cost £23-50.
Would have been cheaper had I remembered about the Tesco Clubcard but with the megatrain site being down for part of tomorrow I was concerned I would miss the reduced amount if I waited for the Tesco Clubcard token codes and so end up paying more

Last edited:
Right chaps need to get to Wembley on Aug 7th before 5pm. I have a travel card, presumably for the tube, so I need to know the cheapest train fare from Leicester or Syston if possible please.

Last edited:
Right chaps need to get to Wembley on Aug 7th before 5pm. I have a travel card, presumably for the tube, so I need to know the cheapest train fare from Leicester or Syston if possible please.

The cheapest option is probably Megatrain, but you can't book tickets for that date with them yet.

Have you looked at the East Midlands Trains website?

Do you need to get back again, and if so, when?

The cheapest option is probably Megatrain, but you can't book tickets for that date with them yet.

Same night hopefully.The game will finish around 7pm unless there is extra time so any time after 8pm

Same night hopefully.The game will finish around 7pm unless there is extra time so any time after 8pm

I checked the Megatrain website and when I saw no fares I presumed they were cashing in on the Olympics.

I've not checked the EMT website, however National Express is currently £11.50 each way.

I've found a return on east midlands train for £14 returning at 8.30. Would I have to catch that exact train?

Or it might be £11 out and £14 back, I'm not sure how it works.

Last edited:
I've found a return on east midlands train for £14 returning at 8.30. Would I have to catch that exact train?

Or it might be £11 out and £14 back, I'm not sure how it works.

The cheapest 'Single' fares you are seeing are exactly that. So add the 2 fares together and you have your total fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69