cheltenham

Status
Not open for further replies.
is anybody going cheltenham on tuesday and does anyone know what sort of team we are fielding

It's not even certain yet whether there will be a match at Cheltenham on Tuesday. The area is still badly affected by last week's flooding and most areas of the town have just had their water supply restored today (and it's still not drinkable).

Neither City nor Cheltenham want this game to be cancelled. Cheltenham switched their home game against Wolves to Kidderminster's ground yesterday and want to move our game elsewhere if necessary. City have offered to stage the game at the Walkers.

Cheltenham have said that they will make an announcement about the game tomorrow (Monday) afternoon.

From the Mercury

Leicester City's pre-season friendly against Cheltenham tomorrow will not now
go ahead at the Walkers Stadium.

Switching the game to City's ground had been suggested following last week's severe floods in Gloucestershire, which forced Cheltenham to play their “home” friendly against Wolves on Saturday at Kidderminster because their Whaddon Road ground had no running water.

And Kidderminster's Aggborough Stadium could again be pressed into service tomorrow as the suggested switch to the Walkers Stadium would mean too short notice for stewarding, etc, to be put in place.

I've just spoken to Cheltenham Town Football Club. Although water has been restored to parts of the town, they still haven't got any at the football ground. They are talking to Severn-Trent Water about when supplies might be restored.

They sound doubtful about getting the game on at Cheltenham although they are still hoping for that. Their Football Secretary is talking to other clubs about staging the game, although I understand that it is unlikely to be played at Kidderminster.

I would have thought that any other ground would be in difficulty arranging stewarding and policing at this late stage. My guess is that if they don't manage to get it on at Cheltenham, it will be either played somewhere 'behind closed doors' or cancelled altogether.

Last edited:
I've just spoken to Cheltenham Town Football Club. Although water has been restored to parts of the town, they still haven't got any at the football ground. They are talking to Severn-Trent Water about when supplies might be restored.

They sound doubtful about getting the game on at Cheltenham although they are still hoping for that. Their Football Secretary is talking to other clubs about staging the game, although I understand that it is unlikely to be played at Kidderminster.

I would have thought that any other ground would be in difficulty arranging stewarding and policing at this late stage. My guess is that if they don't manage to get it on at Cheltenham, it will be either played somewhere 'behind closed doors' or cancelled altogether.

My info suggests Wednesday at the earliest for water to be restored to that part of Cheltenham. If they are relying on running water to stage the game, it wont take place tomorrow.

My info suggests Wednesday at the earliest for water to be restored to that part of Cheltenham. If they are relying on running water to stage the game, it wont take place tomorrow.

And that will be another £26 of my hard-earned pension wasted!

Cheltenham say they are not likely to be able to make an announcement about the game before 5 p.m. today. In fact there is not tap water anywhere in Cheltenham yet, despite what I wrote earlier - it is being turned back on again tomorrow. According to the local paper there, this water is OK for showers, baths and washing clothes - but not for drinking, cleaning teeth or washing dishes. There seems to be plenty of bottled water about though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670