Children in pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Anglia Fox

Yesterday I was in a pub watching the second half of Hull v Chelsea and I couldn't help but notice a girl, probably of about three, running around near where I was seated. She was basically doing laps of the same area and ran past me about once every thirty seconds.

Eventually, a couple seated nearby, probably in their sixties, had a word with the girl's mother about it. Very quickly, it all got ugly. The mother was saying things like "My little girl can do whatever she wants" and "This is a family pub". Then the father came over as well, and it was all "**** off to another pub if you don't like it". At this point, the staff got involved as they basically had no choice not to.

A part of me wanted to intervene but I was scared of the consequences, and the inevitability of the father saying something like "Who the **** are you?"

The whole episode was very sad to witness and, like I said, very ugly. All my sympathy was for the couple.

What is the balance here? How much is it okay for kids to literally just run around in a busy pub where adults are having meals and watching football?

When I was a small child I wouldn't have dreamed of running around a pub like that, and if I did my parents would have told me to stop.

What is the balance here? How much is it okay for kids to literally just run around in a busy pub where adults are having meals and watching football?
I really don't think age is relevant, to be honest. It is as okay for a child to run around a pub disturbing other patrons as it is for an adult to do the same, that is, it isn't.

I really don't think age is relevant, to be honest. It is as okay for a child to run around a pub disturbing other patrons as it is for an adult to do the same, that is, it isn't.

Yes, I actually have that attitude towards it too, but parents can be incredibly self-righteous about their children. These two parents yesterday were literally saying their child should be able to do whatever she wants all the time, without any awareness of what that means for other people.

These two parents yesterday were literally saying their child should be able to do whatever she wants all the time, without any awareness of what that means for other people.
I'd say the moral of the story so is that those two are a pair of ****s

It's good that many pubs welcome families these days, but bellend parents like this ruin it for everyone. It's the kid I feel sorry for at the end of it though - if this is the parenting they get 24/7 they're unlikely to grow up to be a happy or functioning adult, the rest of us just have to put up for it for the odd afternoon encounter.

The fact that it's in a pub is irrelevant

Same principle should apply to a restaurant, a high street shop, a bus stop or a park - show some respect for other people, and don't let your kids behave like complete bastards

Dinosaur here, pubs are adult environments and kids shouldn't be in them

A while back I was in a shop in Rugby, just as the schools had finished. At the front of the queue to pay was a women with a couple of kids, one of whom wanted a chocolate bar, his mum told him 'no' adding it would spoil his tea. This turned into a heated argument to the point where the young lad, probably around 10 years old called his mum a 'fat slag'. She didn't bat an eyelid and told him to put the chocolate back. The delightful child then undid the chocolate bar and took a bite out of it. His mum didn't say a word to him, but said to the shopkeeper take for the chocolate as well.

The whole thing was witnessed by everyone in the shop and one bloke said to the women, 'what you should have done there was pay for the chocolate and throw what was left of the bar in the bin, that's the only way he'll learn'. The women went ballistic had a right go at chap 'don't you tell me how to bring up my children' and carried on F ing and blinding as she left the shop.

A while back I was in a shop in Rugby, just as the schools had finished. At the front of the queue to pay was a women with a couple of kids, one of whom wanted a chocolate bar, his mum told him 'no' adding it would spoil his tea. This turned into a heated argument to the point where the young lad, probably around 10 years old called his mum a 'fat slag'. She didn't bat an eyelid and told him to put the chocolate back. The delightful child then undid the chocolate bar and took a bite out of it. His mum didn't say a word to him, but said to the shopkeeper take for the chocolate as well.

The whole thing was witnessed by everyone in the shop and one bloke said to the women, 'what you should have done there was pay for the chocolate and throw what was left of the bar in the bin, that's the only way he'll learn'. The women went ballistic had a right go at chap 'don't you tell me how to bring up my children' and carried on F ing and blinding as she left the shop.

She's right, why should he get involved? Its just as rude as arsehole kids.

The general public contains a vast amount of absolute tossers, a great many of which can't look after themselves never mind an impressionable small human.

The **** count is increasing on a daily basis.

I'm encouraged by the general response so far.

And, Lako42, I couldn't agree more. There are far too many clueless idiots reproducing, it's very scary.

I only ever swore at my mum once, major mistake. I knew I had crossed the line as soon as the words came out. Dad ensured I never repeated the exercise.

Dread to think what would happened if I had called her a fat slag or similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670