Chris Kirkland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth

Sven Goran Eriksson is making an ambitious move to sign Wigan’s out-of-favour keeper Chris Kirkland for ambitious Leicester City.

Eriksson wants to take Kirkland on loan initially but would sign him permanently if he helpes the Foxes move closer to the promotion pack during that spell.

Kirkland has been out of the Latics side for the past couple of months, playing just once in the first team when on-loan Ali Al-Habsi was ineligible to face Bolton Wanderers.

Former England cap Kirkland may be interested in the deal as he has admitted he will review his Wigan future at the end of the year if he is still on the bench.

move gives Wigan boss Roberto Martinez a headache. He has in-form Al-Habsi in his side but likes having Kirkland as cover and he will give an answer today.

Kirkland’s wages are among the biggest at the DW STadium and owner Dave Whelan may be keen to have them off the payroll - and to take a cash bid if Leicester make the switch permanent.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...land-keeper-Chris-Kirkland-article631175.html

Kirkland is a Leicester lad. He has been a bit of a sick-note in recent years though

Kirkland is an excellent keeper. He is only 2nd choice at Wigan rather than 1st choice at a major club because of his constant back problems.

Kirkland can only train some of the time and often has to pull out of games at the last minute. He's a bit of a Paul McGrath character in the making. All the talent in the world without the body to back him up.

Kirkland with Weale as back up would be outstanding.

TBH anyone who has seen Chris Kirkland this season and towards the end of last wouldn't be so thrilled. He has gone right off form and its no wonder that Al-Habsi is keeping him out. Combine that with the fact he is a bigger sick note than Darren Anderton, I'm not so keen on this one.

from Barwell innit?

Will his Dad be having a bet on him playing for Leicester City or perhaps he had a bet at the same time that he had the England bet as he once said.....................

The former steel worker, who is now free from cancer, added: "I support Leicester but I follow Chris wherever he plays, so I'll probably spend the money on petrol and air fares."

Last edited:
Chris Kirkland wants Wigan boss Roberto Martinez to let him go to sign for Sven Goran Eriksson’s Leicester City.

The former England international is unsettled as second choice with the Latics and is keen to speak to the ambitious Foxes about a loan move that could become permanent.

Kirkland has lost his place to on-loan Ali Al-Habsi and has asked Martinez to clear his path for an exit. Wigan are set to let him leave after the weekend.

Martinez is likely to let Kirkland go following the Manchester United match when he will be needed for cover.

move may become a full-time switch if Leicester put a promotion run together.

Kirkland’s days at Wigan appear to be numbered, especially as Martinez would like to take on Al-Habsi in a full-time deal from Bolton.

The sale of his former No.1would also suit owner Dave Whelan who wants to trim the payroll.

looks like its happening!

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...ed-loan-spell-is-a-success-article631983.html

Wouldn't be a step in the wrong direction. We'd have two solid first team keepers in Weale and Kirkland. I hope this doesn't unsettle Weale at all, though, I rate him.

Kirkland was a Barwell lad, had hime caught behind playing cricket v barwell. That was the start of his up and down career.
Agree that he's been prone to injury previously but he's a better keeper than weale so it's up to den and sven to assess the risk.
If he keeps a raft of clean sheets before getting injured we'll still be well in the promotion mixer - which is all we're after really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669