Christopher Hitchens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

Hitch has died from cancer at the age of 62. A personal hero of mine. If you've not come across him on You Tube (just type Hitchslap) or his books or articles in Vanity Fair, New Statesman and other magazines, your mind will be the better for it. A great challenger of lame people and arguments.

Hitch has died from cancer at the age of 62. A personal hero of mine. If you've not come across him on You Tube (just type Hitchslap) or his books or articles in Vanity Fair, New Statesman and other magazines, your mind will be the better for it. A great challenger of lame people and arguments.
Well done Hitch :038: a superb 62 years.

Was he the brother of the raving right winger journo?

Was he the brother of the raving right winger journo?

The one who once said of him, "If we weren't brothers we wouldn't know each other."? I expect he'll offer up a prayer for him today.

It often happens that a younger sibling, faced with the perceived impossible task of matching the intellect of the elder one, proceeds to follow as different an intellectual path as possible. Peter and Christopher were on good terms in the last few years and they, I think, eventually understood each other.

But yes, Peter Hitchens was his brother. He's actually smarter than he comes across too. Much of his nonsense is just for effect, in the same vein as Clarkson and Littlejohn.

The one who once said of him, "If we weren't brothers we wouldn't know each other."? I expect he'll offer up a prayer for him today.
I feel like that about most of my family. Still love them though.

Hitchens was a bit too angry for my taste, but he knew how to make a convincing case. Sad that personal prestige - what else could it be? - meant he couldn't admit he was wrong about Iraq - I think he kept defending that to the end.

Rest in peace.

Very sad. I, too, viewed Hitch as a bit of a hero.

His wells of energy, above all else, was what I found truly impressive. He squeezed every bit of juice he could out of his 62 years.

I don't have any heros and I think Hitch himself would be offended if I were to wish him to 'rest in peace', so I won't bother with any of that bollocks. He was a great debater, but he always disappointed me when he kept on chomping on George W's cock. That was a real shame.

I don't have any heros and I think Hitch himself would be offended if I were to wish him to 'rest in peace', so I won't bother with any of that bollocks. He was a great debater, but he always disappointed me when he kept on chomping on George W's cock. That was a real shame.

More or less what I'd have said but couldn't be bothered to type

Watched the IQ2 debate on the Catholic Church yesterday where he and Stephen Fry destroyed Widdecombe and Whatisface the priest. Stunning display if ignorance from Widdecombe who just refused to get how wrong she was. Wonderfully entertaining.

Watched the IQ2 debate on the Catholic Church yesterday where he and Stephen Fry destroyed Widdecombe and Whatisface the priest. Stunning display if ignorance from Widdecombe who just refused to get how wrong she was. Wonderfully entertaining.

Whole days have passed by with me watching his battles on You Tube or reading his essays/articles. Thankfully, so much of his work is readily available online. I can't think of anyone with an equivalent talent for destroying ignorance and idiocy with pure intelligence. He even partially swayed me on Iraq.

I went to the South Bank last month hoping to see him debate via a satellite link but he was too ill so it turned into a homage from friends and admirers from Sean Penn to Salman Rushdie. In one of his obituaries, it says that he watched the events of that evening on a laptop from his hospital bed in utter shock about the youthfulness of the audience and the warmth we had for him.

I heartily recommend his memoir 'Hitch-22' as an introduction to him.

That was good, wasn't it? A masterful performance by Hitch and Fry

I thought that for a while but struggled to come up with anyone to replace them. I felt they offered a genuine representation of the church's defence.

They tried to get Jesus but his demands for stuff in the green room were outrageous, loaves, fishes, no-more nails, etc.

It was too easy, their opponents were rubbish.

The opponents were largely irrelevant given that their arguments were restricted by dogma and wouldn't have stood up to the onslaught regardless of who'd delivered them. I agree though, they were rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669