Pre Match City v Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

Well it's almost upon us, our ninth successive season outside of the top flight of English football. Another 46-49 game grind lies ahead that will tease and torture us.

We've added some interesting players, and retained the best of last seasons contributors. We've had a solid and stable preseason and we have continuity in management. There is little fuss and nonsense about us this year, which is something that always seems to be in our best interest.

The key for me will be the three recruits from January, can Morgan stay fit and organise the defence all season? Can Drinkwater take control of our midfield and dictate the pace of our play? Can Marshall continue to flourish?

Of the summer signings, can Vardy deliver at this level? Are De Laet and James the sort of Man Utd kids that go on to grow or wither? Is Knockaert an inspired addition or yet another disappointing recruit from overseas?

Whatever happens, three points on Saturday should be expected against one of the divisions weaker sides. Come on City!

Schmeichel, De Laet, Moore/Higginbottom, Morgan, Konchesky, Marshall, Drinkwater, James, Knockaert, Nugent, Beckford

Players seem really up for this season, im sensing a real bond in the camp and as always i have high expectations. I would be tempted to leave the team unchanged , but if Higginbottom signs and Moore is injured then that could be the change, also although Dyer has had a good pre season he did appear to tire in the game Tuesday and Knockaert seems a gem, im sure either will do ok and either would make an impact as sub
As for the season IMO it will depend how Wes/Zak combine in producing clean sheets and avoiding injury, im also hoping our midfield central partnership doesnt get bullied against the stronger teams. As for Saturday anything less than 3pts will be disappointing, im predicting a 2-1 win Beckford Vardy

Last edited:
Well it's almost upon us, our ninth successive season outside of the top flight of English football. Another 46-49 game grind lies ahead that will tease and torture us.

We've added some interesting players, and retained the best of last seasons contributors. We've had a solid and stable preseason and we have continuity in management. There is little fuss and nonsense about us this year, which is something that always seems to be in our best interest.

The key for me will be the three recruits from January, can Morgan stay fit and organise the defence all season? Can Drinkwater take control of our midfield and dictate the pace of our play? Can Marshall continue to flourish?

Of the summer signings, can Vardy deliver at this level? Are De Laet and James the sort of Man Utd kids that go on to grow or wither? Is Knockaert an inspired addition or yet another disappointing recruit from overseas?

Whatever happens, three points on Saturday should be expected against one of the divisions weaker sides. Come on City!

Schmeichel, De Laet, Moore/Higginbottom, Morgan, Konchesky, Marshall, Drinkwater, James, Knockaert, Nugent, Beckford

I expect Dyer to start instead of Knockaert but otherwise I think your correct. In terms of this season squad I have quite a lot of optimism. I think our attacking options look very healthy and I think this squad has a good amount of pace and energy about it. I look forward to seeing the likes of Marshall, Dyer, Knockaert, Beckford and even De Laet making attacking runs.

My main concern with our out and out 4-4-2 formation is being overrun in midfield. Most opponents will be playing just one up front this season, and three in central midfield, especially at the KP. The ability of our central midfield to compete and keep the ball is imperative. It's no use having two good wingers if they're in their own half most of the time. Are we really going to go to Charlton, Blackburn, Wolves, etc and play with two wingers?

I recall in NPs first spell in charge, he countered criticism of playing Oakley on the right side of midfield with the belief that the central midfielders at that time were not strong enough on their own and needed help. I think we'll need to find a way to incorporate a third central midfielder in our side to be properly competitive. For this purpose, I think Danns may well prove to be our key player this season.

Certainly the squad seems far more balanced, and as a group much closer. these two things alone will be a massive change from the start of last season when there was so much hype, and the 'team' never came together, to many power struggles, to many egoes all contributing to a very bad mix. Add in a manager who failed to see let alone address the problems it was a disaster waiting to happen. I like thought Sven was an inspired appointment, I so wrong, Pearson, should never have been sacked in the first place and I believe we would be in the Premiership now under his management. The owners realised they had made a significant mistake, and went back to Pearson the last succesful manager; he's spent less a lot less money, sorted out the dressing room, I'm looking forward to Saturday, three points against the Posh would be a good start.

Jeffrey Daniel, Howard Hewett, Carolyn Griffey, Jody Watley, Gary Mumford, Gerald Brown, Delisa Davis, Micki Free, Sydney Justin, Chris Kamara, Jeff Stelling.

Jeffrey Daniel, Howard Hewett, Carolyn Griffey, Jody Watley, Gary Mumford, Gerald Brown, Delisa Davis, Micki Free, Sydney Justin, Chris Kamara, Jeff Stelling.

I think that this is the Second Time Around you've been on your Shalamar track Macky but then perhaps I Owe You One for that

Well in the words of one of these (Howard Hewett) - This is For The Lover in You

Last edited by a moderator:
I said I wasn't going to bother with this but Im getting tempted now.

I remember when I was 12 we opened the season against Peterborough at Filbo. My old man spent all summer hanging the tickets over my head. Eventually I nicked them the week of and cycled to Broughton Astley. Then I got tired and went to my dad's mates house and rang him to pick me up.

We won 2-1. Good atmosphere. I miss being 12.

72-0 Mulder and Scully clash in the tunnel at half time.

Last edited:
That was when they were still building the new main stand, so only three sides of the ground were used.

That's right. Ended up sitting in the double-decker for most of the season. The last game was Bristol City (?) in the main stand the year before. Was there for that one too.

The 93-94 season was actually really eventful.

Last edited:
Players seem really up for this season, im sensing a real bond in the camp and as always i have high expectations. I would be tempted to leave the team unchanged , but if Higginbottom signs and Moore is injured then that could be the change, also although Dyer has had a good pre season he did appear to tire in the game Tuesday and Knockaert seems a gem, im sure either will do ok and either would make an impact as sub
As for the season IMO it will depend how Wes/Zak combine in producing clean sheets and avoiding injury, im also hoping our midfield central partnership doesnt get bullied against the stronger teams. As for Saturday anything less than 3pts will be disappointing, im predicting a 2-1 win Beckford Vardy

So that's another 46 2-1 wins again like last season

im also hoping our midfield central partnership doesnt get bullied against the stronger teams.

In Pearson's first season we got beaten by Millwall. Pearson said that we had allowed ourselves to be bullied. That was not a complaint about Millwall whose manager he praised for getting his tactics right; it was a complaint about our players. I seem to remember no team bullied us again until Paulo took over.

In the 1950s there was a great but now forgotten manager called Stan Cullis whose success with Wolves rivaled the wonderful Busby Babes. His mantra was "I will not have cowards in my team" I hope and believe Nigel will have the same attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cautious approach in the first half will gift them time on the ball and a goal resulting in a half-time team talk and the need to attack them more in the second half.

In the 1950s there was a great but now forgotten manager called Stan Cullis whose success with Wolves rivaled the wonderful Busby Babes. His mantra was "I will not have cowards in my team" I hope and believe Nigel will have the same attitude.

Was he the bloke that injected his players with bull or gorilla sperm or something bizzare, as an early kind of steroid to boost performances?

Was he the bloke that injected his players with bull or gorilla sperm or something bizzare, as an early kind of steroid to boost performances?

When you say "injected", what are we talking about here?

Same team as Torquay unless Moore doesn't make it. No need to make changes as that team showed we have the quality in the team to score when we want to but I'd imagine they will put a lot more into this and look to control the game. Hopefully a comfortable victory but P'boro usually score so I'm going for 2-1 City with a nervous last 10 mins.

When you say "injected", what are we talking about here?

Using a needle, Mackeroon.

Honestly some people on here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675