City's best keeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this topic and I say
Banks, Shilton, Wallington, Flowers, Keller, Arphexad, Walker, Poole none others worth a mention.

I liked Ian andrews.

Pegguy wasn't much good

Arphexad - decent shot stopper, as distinct from being a good all-round keeper.

Wallington - gave exceptional and long service to City. In spite of his tremendous run of appearances ended by the foul play in the Shrewsbury cup tie when they tried to kick us of the park - and failed due to the likes of Melrose, Young and Lynex, I always thought that he played a lot of games (to his credit) when not fully fit.

Whether the above affected his chances of a full England cap, I wouldn't know. Also he was a bit of a messy keeper- he seemed to finish many games covered in mud. Effective but not a classic keeper.

Pegguy wasn't much good

If you had been at Stamford Bridge when he singlehandedly kept them at bay until very late on until a LeBeoff rocket finally beat him, well, you would have thought differently.

Keeper's that I remember:

Flowers, Walker, Wallington, Keller and Poole

If you had been at Stamford Bridge when he singlehandedly kept them at bay until very late on until a LeBeoff rocket finally beat him, well, you would have thought differently.

Of course - managers didn't seem to think he was a consistent enough all round performer to give him an extended run at the top level.

He was capable of great saves, but I can think of a stack of City goalkeepers who were better.

Has to be Flowers for me.

I remember he got a standing ovation from the Newcastle fans at St James' park at half time because he had done so many saves. Eventually we lost to a Carl Cort goal of all things.

As far as the best is concerned, I have always found it difficult to decide between Banks & Shilton. Banks brought a massive reassurance to the side whilst Shilton was so dominant in and around the six yards box (in contrast Banks may have had an occasional very slight weakness early in his career on crosses) - both genuinely great goal keepers. i would say that the likes of Flowers, Keller & Wallington were very good goal keepers - but not 'greats'.

Can't believe that Walker is appearing in anybody's list

Absolute crappo

Can't believe that Walker is appearing in anybody's list

Absolute crappo

Always remember him getting sent off against Birmingham for handling the ball outside the area.

There was also the goal against Bolton were he threw the ball into his own net :icon_redf

Always remember him getting sent off against Birmingham for handling the ball outside the area.

There was also the goal against Bolton were he threw the ball into his own net :icon_redf

A bit above average but over-rated, sometimes dodgy keeper. One of the most fortunate keepers ever to pinch a few (4) England caps. Difficult to believe these days that he allegedly cost us £2.5m.

Sorry :

5. Paul Cooper (how could I forget him - best penalty saver - ever - I'm surprised no one else has mentioned him)
6. Flowers

OK: Andrews, I Walker, Poole, Hoult, Muggleton, Arphexad

Amongst the worst: Keller, Pressman, Logan

Unknown: Douglas, Kalac, Bunn

Amongst the worst: Keller

Really? i mean i dont think he was in the same league as a few others ive seen, but he was by no means bad.

For me, in order, from what i can remember:

Flowers
Fulop
Walker
Poole
Keller

No one else really worth mentioning, certainly not since Fulop left

Last edited:
I thought Keller was exceptionally good for us. MON got out of jail when he left by bringing in Flowers who was of similar class.

Before he signed for us I remember Keller (when he had hair) playing for Millwall at Filbert Street - when he was loudly designated as "Gypo" by the kop - and abuse of that kind is usually the sign that an opponent is rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669