Clark Carlisle's "Footballs Suicide Secret"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched it last week.

It was emotional, particularly enlightning was the comments about how influential the fans reactions during a match can be,

Last edited:
The meeting with Gary Speed's sister really got me.

I appreciate that he was a footy player and so therefore has an obvious interest in how depression effects players but I wish it had been broadened out to cover mental health in males in general. Still, if it helps promote a greater understanding of the issue then it'll have done a good job.

I was part of a new Sunday morning side which joined the local league in the 1980's of the sixteen original players, two have committed suicide. Another has had serious mental health issues being institutionalised on several occasions.

I was part of a new Sunday morning side which joined the local league in the 1980's of the sixteen original players, two have committed suicide. Another has had serious mental health issues being institutionalised on several occasions.

One of my mates committed suicide about 14 months ago. We were quite close and prior to him going I can quite honestly say that the majority of our mutual friends were either proud of him or a tad envious of his lifestyle. Out of his university class he did the worst, came out with a third, then moved away and got a job earning a fortune and a got engaged to a great lass. Every time we spoke he was still as bubbly and joyous as always. To this day we still have **** all idea of what it was that was wrong, many accuse themselves of being shit friends for not noticing something was up (something I can't agree with as the reason still remains unknown). My wife works in mental health, **** knows how she copes with all the shit that comes with it because I certainly couldn't.

As for the TV show, was this advertised? I wasn't even aware it was on.

Yeah, almost as often as it's been shown. I think it's aired four times now in the past week or so. BBC Three.

That'll be why, I've seen enough repeats of Family Guy to give that channel a break for a few years. It's a shame such an important issue ends up on BBC Three when the current showing on BBC One is something about what people eat for tea.

The meeting with Gary Speed's sister really got me.

I appreciate that he was a footy player and so therefore has an obvious interest in how depression effects players but I wish it had been broadened out to cover mental health in males in general. Still, if it helps promote a greater understanding of the issue then it'll have done a good job.

The programme about mental illness on Wednesday evening on BBC Three was a much better insight into mental illness than the football one. Or the three parter they did following some teenagers on a mental health ward. I thought that was excellent.

Although I respect Carlisle for opening up about his own struggles and trying to understand them, I didn't think his programme was up to much. Things like him crying into Gary Speed's sisters arms was all a bit much. Just because the guy has had issues and can string a sentence together, doesn't make him a decent documentary maker.

Frank Bruno's daughter is doing one next week and I hope she captures the issues with her Dad, and the impact on her and the rest of the family, well.

The programme about mental illness on Wednesday evening on BBC Three was a much better insight into mental illness than the football one. Or the three parter they did following some teenagers on a mental health ward. I thought that was excellent.

I haven't seen Carlisle's programme, but I couldn't agree more with your praise of these shows, in particular the three parter. I thought it was really interesting.

My wife works with mental health patients (her current role is with elderly mental health patients but she has previously worked with other patient groups) and I can honestly say I don't know how she does.

Frank Bruno's daughter is doing one next week and I hope she captures the issues with her Dad, and the impact on her and the rest of the family, well.

I'll check them out, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469