Consumer Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask them to repair it or refund the full value. :icon_wink

Maybe it's just me but I think an 80% refund is perfectly fair
I disagree. Unless Durham's done something monumentally stupid with it, which I doubt. If I'd paid £245.99 for something I'd expect a warranty of at least 12 months to cover it. For a processor to go tits up after 7 months is entirely unacceptable.

Email from Customer Service Manager:

I have tried to contact you today on your mobile number but was unable to reach you.

I understand that you are not happy with the partial refund you have received for your returned processor, however this is the only resolution we are able to offer. As the item has been returned to Ebuyer as faulty, Ebuyer have the right to select the most suitable option for ourselves.

As per section F4048B 3(C) of The Sales of Goods Act, it is disproportionate for us to replace the item. Unfortunately at the time the return was processed, we were unable to replace the item at the same cost or less than the current value of your returned item, this is why you have been given a partial refund.

Please see below the section of The Sales of Goods Act which applies –
F4048B Repair or replacement of the goods
(3)The buyer must not require the seller to repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods if that remedy is—
(a)impossible, or
(b)disproportionate in comparison to the other of those remedies, or
(c)disproportionate in comparison to an appropriate reduction in the purchase price under paragraph (a), or rescission under paragraph (b), of section 48C(1) below.
I apologise that on this occasion you are not happy with the resolution that has been given, if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help.

Kind Regards

Is this an Intel processor? If so, I believe they are guaranteed for life so even though ebuyer will be giving you 80% they will be getting a 100% replacement from Intel.

It may be worth contacting the manufacturer.

Is this an Intel processor? If so, I believe they are guaranteed for life so even though ebuyer will be giving you 80% they will be getting a 100% replacement from Intel.

It may be worth contacting the manufacturer.

Not quite. 2 years.

I can understand the 80% refund in a way. Surely when Moore's Law is applied, 80% will buy you the same or better processor with change six months down the line?

I can understand the 80% refund in a way. Surely when Moore's Law is applied, 80% will buy you the same or better processor with change six months down the line?
As previously stated, the same CPU is more expensive than it was when I bought it.

You could obviously take your grievance to the Small Claims Court whatever the T&Cs say. With more than 6 months gone since purchase, the onus would be on you to prove that the item had an inherent fault; it would not be presumed. The Court might consider that, say, three years is the average 'lifetime' of a processor and, considering that you have had six months use out of it, might decide that you should get a refund of five-sixths of the purchase price - 83%. A lot of work for little extra reward.

On the other hand Ebuyer might not bother defending the case and you might be awarded the full amount. Even the threat of taking the matter to law might be enough to change Ebuyer's attitude.

I disagree. Unless Durham's done something monumentally stupid with it, which I doubt. If I'd paid £245.99 for something I'd expect a warranty of at least 12 months to cover it. For a processor to go tits up after 7 months is entirely unacceptable.

This

You could obviously take your grievance to the Small Claims Court whatever the T&Cs say. With more than 6 months gone since purchase, the onus would be on you to prove that the item had an inherent fault; it would not be presumed. The Court might consider that, say, three years is the average 'lifetime' of a processor and, considering that you have had six months use out of it, might decide that you should get a refund of five-sixths of the purchase price - 83%. A lot of work for little extra reward.

On the other hand Ebuyer might not bother defending the case and you might be awarded the full amount. Even the threat of taking the matter to law might be enough to change Ebuyer's attitude.

In truth it's not worth my time pursuing it any further. I've replied to them letting them know they've lost a customer who spends circa £12k a year with them. I've also tweeted their MD.

In truth it's not worth my time pursuing it any further. I've replied to them letting them know they've lost a customer who spends circa £12k a year with them. I've also tweeted their MD.

I think that's what I would have done.

eBuyer have been total dicks for years now, I never consider them for purchases any longer.

We bought a printer from them years ago, it arrived smashed to pieces and they insisted we send it back at our cost. The second one that arrived was clearly an open box product, again send it back at our own cost. We claimed on the credit card and got the money back in the end but it was a lot of hassle.

We now use Misco and send around 15-20k pa with them. They've been great with service even when we've had some issues.

We bought a printer from them years ago, it arrived smashed to pieces and they insisted we send it back at our cost. The second one that arrived was clearly an open box product, again send it back at our own cost. We claimed on the credit card and got the money back in the end but it was a lot of hassle.

We now use Misco and send around 15-20k pa with them. They've been great with service even when we've had some issues.

I find Misco quite expensive but they're service is very good. I'll just put all my business through Scan and try and leverage a bigger discount.

I find Misco quite expensive but they're service is very good.

Is it still de riguer to pick up on incorrect usage of words / spelling / hyphenation etc. or is that all pretty much in the past now?

Well they got this from me:

Hi Nikki

Thank you for your email and apologies that I missed your call.

For me, it speaks volumes about a companies customer service in general
when they need to roll the Sale of Goods Act out in their first written
communication with a customer. I also note your free admission that you
are doing whats most suitable for eBuyer, not your customer. Perhaps you
could explain how it's suitable for me, your customer, to have to buy a
like for like replacement for faulty goods you've supplied, at further
cost to me?

I've spent over £8,000 with eBuyer since April this year, for the sake
of a few pounds you've lost circa £12,000+ per annum, from just one
customer. Never mind, there's plenty of other retailers around who don't
use loopholes in the SoGA to rip customers off. eBuyer won't see another
penny from me and I'll be sure to spend a couple of hours later this
week rating and reviewing your organisation online.

Kind regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673