Contract Clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

New Member
I know we have all been annoyed about the get out clauses in Dickovs,Thatchers and Scimecas contract but today i am starting to look it a different way.

If we are honest looking at the state of the transfer Market these days there doesn't appear to be a market place for what i call normal players. What i mean by that is players seem to either fall into the multi million pound bracket OR they are availble on a free/nomimal fee.

Now all of the three players above certainly do not fall into the first catorgory but i feel do fall into the latter.

All 3 players had a 100K clause in their contract basically because the players agent wanted to provide for the player to be available to other club in the event of relagation. If the club had insisted on a say £500 price tag i don't think that either the players agent would have agreed but more importantly as i say in todays Market are these players worth £500?? I am beginning to think not! Scimeca is unproven in the Prem as is thatcher (half of one decent season does not make him a proven prem player) and dickov is not exactly a spring chicken. Look at the players available on Frees these days.
Would Pompey pay us £500K for thatcher? Doubtfull.

I really think we have done the right thing. Get them of the books and replace them with younger players on Free transfers. Like for Like in my opinion.
Why are bigger clubs not looking at Novo? Probably because they arn't willing to pay 400-500K for him but there were 9 teams apparantly willing to pay 100K for dickov!
£100K players or shall we say nominal fee/Free playesr are always of interest to clubs but soon as you bang a £500K fee there arn't many takers.

Ricky has at times looked a liability this year, Thatcher had a good start to the year but ended it poorly (Brave yes but got pulled out of pisition alot) and dickov as i said earlier had a good year but will he repeat it?

I reckon Dublin will score more goals than dickov would in division one AND be on less money. Especially if you take the penalties out of the equation as i dont think Dublin would be our penalty taker.

I dont know whether i really man all the above or whether i am just trying to convince myself all is well with the world!
 

Redditch Fox

Well-Known Member
Ian said:
I know we have all been annoyed about the get out clauses in Dickovs,Thatchers and Scimecas contract but today i am starting to look it a different way.

If we are honest looking at the state of the transfer Market these days there doesn't appear to be a market place for what i call normal players. What i mean by that is players seem to either fall into the multi million pound bracket OR they are availble on a free/nomimal fee.

Now all of the three players above certainly do not fall into the first catorgory but i feel do fall into the latter.

All 3 players had a 100K clause in their contract basically because the players agent wanted to provide for the player to be available to other club in the event of relagation. If the club had insisted on a say £500 price tag i don't think that either the players agent would have agreed but more importantly as i say in todays Market are these players worth £500?? I am beginning to think not! Scimeca is unproven in the Prem as is thatcher (half of one decent season does not make him a proven prem player) and dickov is not exactly a spring chicken. Look at the players available on Frees these days.
Would Pompey pay us £500K for thatcher? Doubtfull.

I really think we have done the right thing. Get them of the books and replace them with younger players on Free transfers. Like for Like in my opinion.
Why are bigger clubs not looking at Novo? Probably because they arn't willing to pay 400-500K for him but there were 9 teams apparantly willing to pay 100K for dickov!
£100K players or shall we say nominal fee/Free playesr are always of interest to clubs but soon as you bang a £500K fee there arn't many takers.

Ricky has at times looked a liability this year, Thatcher had a good start to the year but ended it poorly (Brave yes but got pulled out of pisition alot) and dickov as i said earlier had a good year but will he repeat it?

I reckon Dublin will score more goals than dickov would in division one AND be on less money. Especially if you take the penalties out of the equation as i dont think Dublin would be our penalty taker.

I dont know whether i really man all the above or whether i am just trying to convince myself all is well with the world!
There is a huge difference between 500k and 100k. I understand that there is effectively no market for most players but the three players in question are sort after commodities. 100k was simply a ridiculous figure & circa 250k each would have satisfied all parties I would have thought & not made LCFC look so pathetic.
 

Malf

New Member
Why is there no market for alot of players these days? It's gay, just because the poxy ITV deal went down the pan, dear me! It's essential you make money on your prized assets, Thatcher, Dickov and Scimeca are all worth money after the season they have had for us. two years ago these players would have fetched a million each at least.
 

trickytrev

New Member
Malf said:
Why is there no market for alot of players these days? It's gay, just because the poxy ITV deal went down the pan, dear me! It's essential you make money on your prized assets, Thatcher, Dickov and Scimeca are all worth money after the season they have had for us. two years ago these players would have fetched a million each at least.
I think the ITV deal has very little to do with it, it is more to the point hat all clubs were over spending and most clubs are in debt. The next premier league deal is expected to be less money at the moment so everyone needs to cut spending, a lot. The transfer market should pick up again but in a few years.
 

Malf

New Member
trickytrev said:
Malf said:
Why is there no market for alot of players these days? It's gay, just because the poxy ITV deal went down the pan, dear me! It's essential you make money on your prized assets, Thatcher, Dickov and Scimeca are all worth money after the season they have had for us. two years ago these players would have fetched a million each at least.
I think the ITV deal has very little to do with it, it is more to the point hat all clubs were over spending and most clubs are in debt. The next premier league deal is expected to be less money at the moment so everyone needs to cut spending, a lot. The transfer market should pick up again but in a few years.
That leaves teams like us in the shit, teams that have been in administration. We over panic and are being too cautious just because we don't dare take any risks, this is the price we are going to have to pay for the criminal activities Taylor caused.
 

Ian

New Member
Malf said:
trickytrev said:
Malf said:
Why is there no market for alot of players these days? It's gay, just because the poxy ITV deal went down the pan, dear me! It's essential you make money on your prized assets, Thatcher, Dickov and Scimeca are all worth money after the season they have had for us. two years ago these players would have fetched a million each at least.
I think the ITV deal has very little to do with it, it is more to the point hat all clubs were over spending and most clubs are in debt. The next premier league deal is expected to be less money at the moment so everyone needs to cut spending, a lot. The transfer market should pick up again but in a few years.
That leaves teams like us in the shit, teams that have been in administration. We over panic and are being too cautious just because we don't dare take any risks, this is the price we are going to have to pay for the criminal activities Taylor caused.
Your cock on Malf.
We wont see city spend any real money on any players for a few seasons yet. We will always have a limited budget and have to spread that quite thinly.
Micky is going to be caught between a rock and a hard place when choosing players.
The likes of Freedman and Dublin probably give you a better chance of getting out of the division and with little risk = Happy fans

OR go for youth and start to build a squad for the next say 3 seasons go up then and probably have a better chance of staying there, problem is Fans are fickle things and simpy wont wait. Look at the season tickets sales are these the same fans that are prepared to wait for success?
Micky would love to build a young squad AND go straight back up but chances of that happening are very small.

The Peter Taylor scenario is being replayed just down the road......yep look at Brum. They have now had a couple of seasons in the Prem and are starting to spend big time, they are signing players on long contracts and big salaries and are looking at develpoing the ground the difference is.............they didn't appoint Peter Taylor and the players their signing are Internationals! ...makes you think what could have been!
I'm happy to reserve judgement untill the end of the month and see what the mix is. I would be happy with Dublin and Freedman IF we also sign a say Gareth and Novo.

Of course if he signs old boys and we get into the playoff who gives a toss how old they are...as i said fickle things fans!
 

Malf

New Member
Ian said:
Malf said:
trickytrev said:
Malf said:
Why is there no market for alot of players these days? It's gay, just because the poxy ITV deal went down the pan, dear me! It's essential you make money on your prized assets, Thatcher, Dickov and Scimeca are all worth money after the season they have had for us. two years ago these players would have fetched a million each at least.
I think the ITV deal has very little to do with it, it is more to the point hat all clubs were over spending and most clubs are in debt. The next premier league deal is expected to be less money at the moment so everyone needs to cut spending, a lot. The transfer market should pick up again but in a few years.
That leaves teams like us in the shit, teams that have been in administration. We over panic and are being too cautious just because we don't dare take any risks, this is the price we are going to have to pay for the criminal activities Taylor caused.
Your cock on Malf.
We wont see city spend any real money on any players for a few seasons yet. We will always have a limited budget and have to spread that quite thinly.
Micky is going to be caught between a rock and a hard place when choosing players.
The likes of Freedman and Dublin probably give you a better chance of getting out of the division and with little risk = Happy fans

OR go for youth and start to build a squad for the next say 3 seasons go up then and probably have a better chance of staying there, problem is Fans are fickle things and simpy wont wait. Look at the season tickets sales are these the same fans that are prepared to wait for success?
Micky would love to build a young squad AND go straight back up but chances of that happening are very small.

The Peter Taylor scenario is being replayed just down the road......yep look at Brum. They have now had a couple of seasons in the Prem and are starting to spend big time, they are signing players on long contracts and big salaries and are looking at develpoing the ground the difference is.............they didn't appoint Peter Taylor and the players their signing are Internationals! ...makes you think what could have been!
I'm happy to reserve judgement untill the end of the month and see what the mix is. I would be happy with Dublin and Freedman IF we also sign a say Gareth and Novo.

Of course if he signs old boys and we get into the playoff who gives a toss how old they are...as i said fickle things fans!
Cracking post there mate, teams are just too scared to get relegated these days and it's fair enough but you have to take risks in life to ever get anywhere. Playing it safe only gets you so far and whilst that can mean you never get in lots of shit it also means you can never fulfill your dreams and potential.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Log in to stop seeing adverts

Premier League

P Pld Pts
Leicester  9
Liverpool  9
Everton  9
Aston Villa  6
Arsenal  6
Palace  6
Leeds Utd  6
Tottenham   4
Chelsea  4
10 Newcastle Utd  4
11 West Ham Utd  3
12 Brighton  3
13 Manchester City  3
14 Manchester Utd  3
15 Southampton  3
16 Wolves  3
17 West Brom  1
18 Burnley  0
19 Sheffield Utd  0
20 Fulham  0
Top