Craig Levein for Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope we aren't getting too excited here.. Levein's a great prospect ..after consulting with a few knowledgeable mates North of the border he looks spot on..loyal, a battler, works too a budget..and he takes no shit.

thankfully a couple of 'unfortunate' own goals stopped the frightening prospect of Harry and Sgt. Wilko hanging on to the end of the season and ruining the rollercoaster lifestyle of ups and downs we've become accustomed to

...however, remember there are alternatives..

Megson the Miserable (can't hack the Premiership)

Pullis ( one decent spell with Stoke and Ade..)

Newell ( never a City legend..still unproven)

Hoddle (great before he turned into David Eyke..)

Gary Mc ( blue tinted specs as far as his managerial prowess is concerned.. and the man has more important commitments)

etc.etc

No as a bolt out of the blue Levein looks right for the job..

also..added bonus.his name fits our limited repertoire of promotion songs

Craig Levein's.... Blue and White Army!

also........ this is what we'll sing

We are the Champions, We are the Champions!

Craig Levein is King ..OY!

Sorry...I've got into it now. :wink:

Sod it, just get excited.

Micky said:
Comments made about Levein by Craig Burley on century 106:

1. disciplinarian
2. long ball style :p
3. focus on fitness
4. likes to play a target man (i.e. mark de vries for hearts)
5. Single minded
6. He would be a good appointment for leicester :D
7. Brought in alot of free transfers and younger players and shipped out big name players (david weir, gordon durie, colin cameron)
8. Doesn't take crap - apparently had a punch up with one of his players afew seasons back.

Some interesting points I think...

I dont like the long ball approach, but maybe (as said) he is getting the team playing to its strengths and the rest of the comments are about a man that can get a team playing to its strengths.
Anyway MON recommends him. Ahh, aint it sweet MON still likes us. (would he come back and finish what he started. God, I realy wish he would) if MON says he is good then it will do for me.

beaumontfox said:
well,if the long ball game gets the team up the table then so be it.
i don't think we can be too fussy about how we get the results-we just need to get some momentum going-and then hopefully it'll carry on from there!!

I think that we should now accept that it is better to try to get things right rather than focus on the expectation of promotion this season - that isn't impossible but is beginning to look a tall order given the way things were messed up by the previous management.

However -for once -I want to give the board some credit. Whether the Craig Levein appointment happens or not and whether if it happens he proves convertable to English (competitive) football - at least this is is a sign that the board is not sold on the monstrous proposition of Bassett & Wilko having a long term role.

It really is entirely wrong how Bassett has tried to both make a case for his own appointment & also purport to be the board's advisor on altrenative candidates.

I've reached the point where -to be honest- I'd rather we didn't win matches if it meant increasing the chances of the Bassett/ Wilko duo & that's not a comfortable feeling -so here's hoping for the best.

alex said:
Mr Bam welcome to the site mate, good shout... I love the fans that come on here and give knowledge... wicked...thanks mate....

By the way, need a striker? :wink:

Alex, I don't think Blake qualifies as a striker to be honest.

alex said:
Mr Bam welcome to the site mate, good shout... I love the fans that come on here and give knowledge... wicked...thanks mate....

Thanks for the welcome Alex. I think we could be doing with a striker, but the one you are trying to offload would appear to be past his sell by date........ :D
I think that if Levein does move to Leicester, the fans big fear is him taking some players with him. We do have a decent team at the moment, and are still very much involved in the Uefa cup. We also have around 8 players out of contract at the end of the season.
The one's of note being our Alan Maybury, right back, who plays for the R.O.I., Mark DeVries, who is Dutcdh/Sudanese, Black guy about 6'7" of brick excrementhouse, who can score for fun. He is a bit injury prone though, and has been out for the most of the season so far.
SO IN SHORT IF YOU GET OUR MANAGER, COULD YOU AT LEAST LEAVE OUR PLAYERS ALONE.............. :lol: :lol:

The Bam said:
alex said:

Thanks for the welcome Alex. I think we could be doing with a striker, but the one you are trying to offload would appear to be past his sell by date........ :D
I think that if Levein does move to Leicester, the fans big fear is him taking some players with him. We do have a decent team at the moment, and are still very much involved in the Uefa cup. We also have around 8 players out of contract at the end of the season.
The one's of note being our Alan Maybury, right back, who plays for the R.O.I., Mark DeVries, who is Dutcdh/Sudanese, Black guy about 6'7" of brick excrementhouse, who can score for fun. He is a bit injury prone though, and has been out for the most of the season so far.
SO IN SHORT IF YOU GET OUR MANAGER, COULD YOU AT LEAST LEAVE OUR PLAYERS ALONE.............. :lol: :lol:

Are the players big fans of Levein then? With O'Neill, Lennon went pretty sharpish as did others. Do you think Levein warrants respect of 'quality' players?

Joe_Fox said:
The Bam said:
alex said:

Are the players big fans of Levein then? With O'Neill, Lennon went pretty sharpish as did others. Do you think Levein warrants respect of 'quality' players?

I think they are.........Certainly reading in the press yesterday, that seems to be the case. We do have older quality players in our squad, and they speak highly of him and would definately appear to respect him.
He is passionate about his team, and this resulted in him breaking his hand punching a wall in the Motherwell dressingroom after a loss last month.
He appeared to be a Hearts man through and through (and is as I do know personally) to the fans, and what is surprising them is the fact that he is apparantly just getting up and bailing out with no explanation as yet.
My thoughts, is that the new owner is coming in in December, and Craig does not fancy working under a Foreign, Director of Football.
It is also a massive challenge to take Leicester into the Premiership, where every manager with ambition wants to ply their trade. Lots more salary too.......................... :(

Take a look at http://www.kickback2.co.uk/forums to see what the Hearts fans are saying. It will make intresting reading............. :wink:

The Bam said:
Joe_Fox said:
The Bam said:
alex said:

I think they are.........Certainly reading in the press yesterday, that seems to be the case. We do have older quality players in our squad, and they speak highly of him and would definately appear to respect him.
He is passionate about his team, and this resulted in him breaking his hand punching a wall in the Motherwell dressingroom after a loss last month.
He appeared to be a Hearts man through and through (and is as I do know personally) to the fans, and what is surpringing them is the fact that he is apparantly just getting up and bailing out with no explanation as yet.
My thoughts, is that the new owner is coming in in December, and Craig does not fancy working under a Foreign, Director of Football.
It is also a massive challenge to take Leicester into the Premiership, where every manager with ambition wants to ply their trade. Lots more salary too.......................... :(

Take a look at http://www.kickback2.co.uk/forums to see what the Hearts fans are saying. It will make intresting reading............. :wink:

Interesting stuff Bam, how do you feel about the new foreign director of football thing? Are you peeved about the whole thing?

Quite the reverse........We have been mis managed for years now by Chris Robinson (Chief Exec.) who has managed to get us into £19million debt.
It got to the stage where we have agreed to sell our stadium to Cala Homes for £20 million, but with no assets and no home for the future.
The money was also to be paid in instalments, therfore we would still have to manage sizeable debts whilst homeless. BIZARRE.........
However Vladimir Romanov, a Lithuanian businssman, who apparantly is friendly with yer Chelsea geezer, has at the moment bought 19% of the club, and is in Edinburgh at the moment to purchase the remaining amount required to take over the club.
He has promised to keep the club at our home until a sensible alternative can be found, wipe out our debt., and inject 10 million into the squad for the manager, who would be superviesd by former Soviet national coach Byshovets.
Also getting Robinson off the board, to the delight of the fans..... :lol:
He also wnated to keep Levein as manager, and had a meeting planned with Levein last night. LEVEIN DID NOT ATTEND THE MEETING !!!

So in short if we have all the former, and have to sacrafice the manager, I personally would take that with both hands. Not so some of our other supporters.
But as has happened in the past, a few good results with a new manager, and Levein will be a past, but pleasant memory...........

Hope that all makes sense...................... :)

Overall, I am pretty pleased with this news. I also think think that he may well want Bassett to stay on as DOF, as he is new to the english game.

Foxes_Never_Quit said:
Overall, I am pretty pleased with this news. I also think think that he may well want Bassett to stay on as DOF, as he is new to the english game.

And you are pleased with that too?

It seems Levein is a good coach, but im not so sure he will be able to attract 'big names' to the club to begin with due to his inexperience at this level. Also, he will not have the contacts that Bassett does in the English game.

To me, Bassett will be much more valuable to the club as director of football now than when Micky was here.

d70g said:
Excepting O'Neill, I don't think I've ever been happier ablouta m,angerial appointment

You can tell he's excited! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670